Scoffers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: Scoffers
(11-11-2014 12:41 AM)FearKnowledge Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 12:39 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  One of our old admins is a Christian, with over 100 green rep. Check out KingsChosen.

I honestly havnt attacked atheists. I saw someone's post listing of how dumb Christianity was so I nicely defended the points he attacked. From there I was labeled as a preacher, called a fucking putz, and a duck head. I urge you to read my replies if you feel I was offensive anyways then I will be quick to apologize. However I havnt even had a good discussion, all points were ignored and in return was told to shut up.

Some of my best friends are duck heads. Quack quack...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 11:42 AM
(11-11-2014 12:41 AM)FearKnowledge Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 12:39 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  One of our old admins is a Christian, with over 100 green rep. Check out KingsChosen.

I honestly havnt attacked atheists. I saw someone's post listing of how dumb Christianity was so I nicely defended the points he attacked. From there I was labeled as a preacher, called a fucking putz, and a duck head. I urge you to read my replies if you feel I was offensive anyways then I will be quick to apologize. However I havnt even had a good discussion, all points were ignored and in return was told to shut up.

Hey Fear. If you are really here for honest discussion, apologies. You may have had the bad luck of jumping into a conversation where a theist troll was spamming our forum again. This individual was here before, and was breaking rules by creating their account. We get pretty hostile with those types.

If people feel you are here to preach.... Well we don't always take kindly to that.

If you do want an honest discussion, I suggest starting a new thread with the topic you'd like to discuss. For the most part we try to treat folks who want an honest discussion with respect. I can't speak for everyone of course Big Grin

If you want a more one-on-one experience, I suggest starting a thread here, and asking a particular member to a discussion. This makes it a little easier, so you don't get bombarded with questions.

Best of luck! Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
11-11-2014, 01:26 PM
(11-11-2014 09:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  That's exactly what Harold Camping did when his prediction failed to come true.

And all of his followers did this: Yes Yes Yes

There was some dolt who blew his life savings to buy an RV or travel bus and was driving around the country, trying to convert people in "the last days". I don't remember what his specific excuse was when May 21 came and went, but he did have an excuse.

Whatever that reason was, I'll bet that guy was super disappointed. You'd think even the most devout follower would think, at some point "Man, I wish God would have given me a heads up that he was going to postpone judgment day so I wouldn't have bought this van. Now I have nothing.".
11-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Re: RE: Scoffers
(11-11-2014 12:00 AM)FearKnowledge Wrote:  ... However the evidence for that would be... Oh wait... Nothing.

Seems your god created the universe out of nothing, so why was god even required?

Oh and where did your god come from?

Oh he's eternal?

Why does eternity imply a god? Why does it require your god?
[+] 1 user Likes photon9's post
11-11-2014, 02:49 PM
(11-11-2014 01:26 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 09:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  That's exactly what Harold Camping did when his prediction failed to come true.

And all of his followers did this: Yes Yes Yes

There was some dolt who blew his life savings to buy an RV or travel bus and was driving around the country, trying to convert people in "the last days". I don't remember what his specific excuse was when May 21 came and went, but he did have an excuse.

Whatever that reason was, I'll bet that guy was super disappointed. You'd think even the most devout follower would think, at some point "Man, I wish God would have given me a heads up that he was going to postpone judgment day so I wouldn't have bought this van. Now I have nothing.".

Yabut, God dude. Testing the faithful? Works in mysterious ways? Any of this ring a bell? It's gods JOB to punk you. You were MEANT to buy the van.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:He apparently made the universe and is big and wise and can see the future and the past, yet he cares about monkeys stuck on a rock in a galaxy in the middle of nowhere?

Ahemm... that's hairless monkeys that you very much. Smile
11-11-2014, 11:31 PM
(11-11-2014 03:56 PM)dirtstar Wrote:  Ahemm... that's hairless monkeys that you very much. Smile

Speak for yourself Tongue <flings poo>

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
12-11-2014, 07:16 AM
(11-11-2014 01:26 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

... I don't remember what his specific excuse was when May 21 came and went, but he did have an excuse.

For anyone who is interested in the psychology of this phenomenon, I would seriously recommend When Prophecy Fails by Leon Festinger. It was from an actual psychology experiment conducted from within an end-times cult. What made it so amazing was that it actually lays out why it is that, for a lot of people, belief actually becomes stronger after the failure of the prophecy.

Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2014, 08:36 AM
(12-11-2014 07:16 AM)JonDarbyXIII Wrote:  For anyone who is interested in the psychology of this phenomenon, I would seriously recommend When Prophecy Fails by Leon Festinger. It was from an actual psychology experiment conducted from within an end-times cult. What made it so amazing was that it actually lays out why it is that, for a lot of people, belief actually becomes stronger after the failure of the prophecy.

I already mentioned it a couple pages back, although not that I'd expect you to catch it they way I linked it. But yeah, it basically goes:

1) Prophesy fails.
2) Someone makes a post hoc modification to the prophesy or an excuse.
3) Everyone doubles down on step 2 because, hey, who wants to admit to being wrong? Especially if you're already invested a lot of time into this and/or have cut ties with everyone outside of the cult.
12-11-2014, 09:42 AM
(12-11-2014 08:36 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I already mentioned it a couple pages back, although not that I'd expect you to catch it they way I linked it. But yeah, it basically goes:

1) Prophesy fails.
2) Someone makes a post hoc modification to the prophesy or an excuse.
3) Everyone doubles down on step 2 because, hey, who wants to admit to being wrong? Especially if you're already invested a lot of time into this and/or have cut ties with everyone outside of the cult.

My apologies for missing the link - Great book though!

Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user