Scottish Independance ahead in Poll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Scottish Independance ahead in Poll

The Yes movement has closed what was a 22 point gap to pull to either a slight lead or a dead heat (depending on the poll) meaning this may come down to the wire. What are the implications if the Scots were to leave the Union? Would a vote of No Confidence in Cameron ensue? David Cameron (PM of the United Kingdom) has stated he would no step down even if the nation lost 1/3 of it's landmass under his watch.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 10:35 AM
RE: Scottish Independance ahead in Poll
So, hypothetically speaking, if the UK lost all it's territories outside of England itself, would it still call itself the UK?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
(07-09-2014 10:35 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, hypothetically speaking, if the UK lost all it's territories outside of England itself, would it still call itself the UK?

Is Manchester united if it has more than one football team?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
07-09-2014, 11:59 AM
I hope Scotland chooses independence.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
07-09-2014, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 04:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
How will this affect the price of good Scotch in DC? ... Bastards ain't gonna go all Scot and start hoarding the shit to artificially reduce supply are they?

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Not sure how they'd manage with the economic burdens they'd have right off the bat (pensions etc.).

People probably wouldn't like what happens to their bank accounts when the switch off the Pound.

I have no issue with independence but the practice may not equate to the theory.

My Girly friend has already found the real issue (for Murican's in any case)...what will happen to our beloved Single malt? Will we be forced to drink blends or even worse Drambuie? That stuff is meant for haggis! Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
09-09-2014, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 04:24 AM by Fidel_Castronaut.)
Read this interesting article from pollster Anthony Wells.

http://flipchartfairytales.wordpress.com...r-country/

The wildly inaccurate costs of independence forwarded by the SNP could see ruin both in Scotland and in the rUK. Estimated cost of rebuidling a state for the SNP is £250m~, whereas treasury estimates puts it at a much more realistic £1.75bn~ (sources from the BBC news).

Scottish state infrastrcuture is more expensive than most of the rUK and their welfare bills vis their tax income is much more misatched. I'm against nationalism as I feel it takes everything and gives very little back, but even nationalists must be looking at the sums and seeing things don't quite add up. Even with oil production from the north sea and independent Scotland would be left with a 'basket case' of an economy.

The repurcussions could extend well into even the next decade. 'Unpicking' the state will take several years (the SNP estimated it would be complete by 2016 - which everyone agrees is a ludicrous and ill thought through estimate) and during this time, as Wells posits, both Scotland and rUK will be unable to put enough resources into tackling more pressing social and economic issues which may arise relating to, among other things, the potential stall in our own economic recoveries which will be weaker owing to the split of assets (no word on liabilities yet - the SNP what to be absolved of all liabilities which, as Wells points out, could be viewed as a de facto default by the markets leading to sky high interest rates for them).

[Image: oie_9101658pvlrOK2Z_zpsd5fb1967.png]
09-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Just the cost of kilts for their independent army will break the bank.

They are going to need hundreds of thousands of new soldier to patrol the border to keep out the English.

Dodgy

09-09-2014, 04:43 AM
It's absolutely crazy that nobody in the SNP has realised that their calculations for the cost of independence are so massively off that they could actually be dooming Scotland to the very thing they've been trying to avoid; i.e. increases in public debt and increases in austerity to try and counteract this. The article I cited actually shows Scotland in some projections having a debt (and thus budget) crisis many times worse than the rUK.

It's such a shame if they become independent. But if that's what they want, I guess we'll have to adapt and deal with it.

[Image: oie_9101658pvlrOK2Z_zpsd5fb1967.png]
09-09-2014, 05:02 AM
What happens if they try the independence thing and don't like it? Can they vote to not be independent again?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.