Scottish Independance ahead in Poll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 10:00 AM
RE: Scottish Independance ahead in Poll
Maybe cljr would like to explain what reasons the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems now have for giving more power to Scotland ...?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 10:07 AM
(19-09-2014 10:00 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Maybe cljr would like to explain what reasons the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems now have for giving more power to Scotland ...?

If I run into cljr, I'll have to ask.

Perhaps it has something to do with 38% of the Scottish electorate being unsatisfied with the status quo? Perhaps it has something to do with finally resolving the West Lothian question? Perhaps it has something to do with the extremely firm commitment made by all three for change?

But then again, "all promises are lies because they are politicians" is also an option.

... this is my signature!
19-09-2014, 10:29 AM
(19-09-2014 10:07 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Perhaps it has something to do with 38% of the Scottish electorate being unsatisfied with the status quo? Perhaps it has something to do with finally resolving the West Lothian question? Perhaps it has something to do with the extremely firm commitment made by all three for change?

And how does this translate to votes at general elections?
19-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Who cares - if Scotland had left the Tories would have had free run for several elections in the remaining UK...

Bullet dodged - at least to some extent...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
19-09-2014, 10:40 AM
(19-09-2014 10:29 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 10:07 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Perhaps it has something to do with 38% of the Scottish electorate being unsatisfied with the status quo? Perhaps it has something to do with finally resolving the West Lothian question? Perhaps it has something to do with the extremely firm commitment made by all three for change?

And how does this translate to votes at general elections?

I don't know. Ask me in a year.

Current polling has the Liberals slaughtered and Labour in place for a majority; the Conservatives have trailed in polls since early 2012. The Liberal vote will likely concentrate on safe seats, while UKIP disproportionately pulls votes from the Conservatives.
(that Labour majority - or even plurality - would be dependent on Scottish MPs, as it happens)

In my view the three parties all have good reasons to move toward constitutional reform. You seem to disagree on the grounds that they are politicians. We'll have to wait and see.

19-09-2014, 11:10 AM
(19-09-2014 10:37 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Who cares - if Scotland had left the Tories would have had free run for several elections in the remaining UK...

Really? How?

Hate the belief, love the believer.
19-09-2014, 11:14 AM
(19-09-2014 10:40 AM)cjlr Wrote:  You seem to disagree on the grounds that they are politicians.

And the fact that promises of power after a no vote have been made before, and gone back on.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
19-09-2014, 11:15 AM
(19-09-2014 11:10 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 10:37 AM)CiderThinker Wrote:  Who cares - if Scotland had left the Tories would have had free run for several elections in the remaining UK...

Really? How?

If one takes present UK-wide polling and subtracts Scotland, the odds move from likely Labour government to a Labour/Conservative tossup.

Scottish votes were integral to the makeup of every post-war UK government bar three ('83, '87, and 2010).

But strict plurality winner-take-all districts are stupid anyway.

19-09-2014, 11:18 AM
(19-09-2014 11:14 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 10:40 AM)cjlr Wrote:  You seem to disagree on the grounds that they are politicians.

And the fact that promises of power after a no vote have been made before, and gone back on.

If you're still referring to Thatcher, I remind you that it was literally impossible for her to act on that commitment, and that said commitment was much less weighty than the current one.

One might consider Canada by way of analogy; after the 1980 Quebec referendum, Trudeau promised a new constitutional settlement, which dragged on for thirteen years and satisfied nobody. Did Trudeau and his government "break" the promise?

19-09-2014, 11:41 AM
(19-09-2014 11:18 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 11:14 AM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  And the fact that promises of power after a no vote have been made before, and gone back on.

If you're still referring to Thatcher, I remind you that it was literally impossible for her to act on that commitment

Then she should not have made a commitment that was literally impossible to fulfill.