Scottish Independance ahead in Poll

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2014, 01:38 PM
RE: Scottish Independance ahead in Poll
And that's the crux; even the status quo for Scotland now would be infeasible given their level of expenditure.

I've heard a lot of yes campaigners saying that one reason they want to be independent is to ensure there isn't any privatisation in the NHS. It's ridiculous because holyrood already has total control over NHS Scotland spending. Any privatisation in the Scottish NHS is entirely down to the SNP allowing and supporting it.

With a higher welfare bill (as predicted in a post independence Scotland through things like an ageing population) this will ultimately lead to greater privatisation as the need grows to fill any deficit produced as a result.

[Image: oie_9101658pvlrOK2Z_zpsd5fb1967.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Do you think it will be a major loss for England then? With the loss of the North Sea oil reserves, the docking station for the nuclear subs, having to pay for more Scotch ( Sad Sad Sad ).

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
09-09-2014, 02:00 PM
I think it could, yes, personally. The issue for everyone is uncertainty. Nobody truly knows what will happen, but I think almost everyone is universally agreed on the fact that the SNP have been almost dangerously optimistic on their math.

It's been a united economy and a united society for 300~ years. Unpicking it could take years if not decades, and both countries will suffer as a result IMHO. Beyond North Sea oil and scotch imports, it seems like a step backwards for both countries, socially and economically. I empathise completely with Scots hating Westminster, because they're right. Its full of mediocre SPADS who are completely disconnected from people like you and I. But is Sammond any better?

Up to them I guess. I just hope it works out for the best regardless of how it turns out.

09-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't understand why they are keeping the monarchy. Anybody care to elaborate?

09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
(09-09-2014 02:11 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I don't understand why they are keeping the monarchy. Anybody care to elaborate?

Making republicanism explicit would just drive home the reality of separation.
(and inevitably people would start thinking about all the other common institutions whose foundations would be a hell of a lot shakier)

That's the last thing they want...

... this is my signature!
09-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Monarchy is supported throughout the UK I guess. I'm a republican and a disestablishmentarian so naturally I find the notion of a monarchy,much less one still imbued with Anglican rituals and propping Anglican bishops in our legislature (lords spiritual in the House of Lords) objectionable.

But the SNP would see voters fall away rapidly if it wanted to remove the queen as the head of state.

09-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Okay thanks for the info guys. For the record I don't see how a reasonable person could support a monarchy other than for political advantage.

09-09-2014, 02:25 PM
(09-09-2014 02:22 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Okay thanks for the info guys. For the record I don't see how a reasonable person could support a monarchy other than for political advantage.

The british Monarchy makes a lot of sense, considering it has little actual political power outside of public sentiment. They bring in more than they take out through tourism. They are the one common thing most members of the commonwealth have.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
09-09-2014, 02:27 PM
(09-09-2014 02:22 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Okay thanks for the info guys. For the record I don't see how a reasonable person could support a monarchy other than for political advantage.

While not explicitly a monarchist position, I find an apolitical head of state to be a pretty good idea.

Much like "independence", whatever vague appeal republican has in the British tradition, the complications involved in actually going about it would be more than enough to outweigh it.

09-09-2014, 02:30 PM
(09-09-2014 02:25 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  They are the one common thing most members of the commonwealth have.

Only 16 states are Commonwealth Realms in personal union. The rest of the members only recognise the Monarch as "Head of the Commonwealth", a delightfully vague compromise.