BG Chapter: 18
Shloka 42

VERSE:
samo damas tapah saucam
ksantir arjavam eva ca
jnanam vijnanam astikyam
brahma-karma svabhava-jam

TRANSLATION:
peacefulness, self-control, austerity, purity, tolerance, honesty, knowledge, wisdom and religiousness — these are the natural qualities by which the brahmanas work.

BG Chapter: 11
Shloka 55

VERSE:
mat-karma-krn mat-paramo
mad-bhaktah sanga-varjitah
nirvairah sarva-bhutesu
yah sa mam eti pandava

TRANSLATION:
My dear Arjuna, one who is engaged in My pure devotional service, free from the contaminations of previous activities and from mental speculation, who is friendly to every living entity, certainly comes to Me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2016, 09:22 AM
RE: Scriptural support for universal morality
(14-01-2016 01:11 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Right, so is there anyone left who doesn't think pops is either a poe or a deranged pile of nonsensical bullshit?

Nope
14-01-2016, 10:06 AM
poethebullshitter

Has a ring of truth to it don't you think?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-01-2016, 10:10 AM
(14-01-2016 08:24 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Mutations are random.

The probability of beneficial mutation surviving and being reproduced through offspring is not random.

Sorry try again.

Blink

What?

Um.. I'm talking about simple sexual swapping of gametes.

Now, for some weird/strange reason you're the one talking about mutation?

Or.. do you not actually have a rebuttal for how genes get slightly shuffled during the gamete swap and hence can lead to changes (Rilly, rilly, rilly, tiny ones) over time etc?

Your next reply will be interesting to read. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
14-01-2016, 11:14 AM
(14-01-2016 10:10 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Your next reply will be interesting to read. Consider

I'd bet more on bewildering than interesting.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
14-01-2016, 11:32 AM
(14-01-2016 10:10 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 08:24 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Mutations are random.

The probability of beneficial mutation surviving and being reproduced through offspring is not random.

Sorry try again.

Blink

What?

Or.. do you not actually have a rebuttal for how genes get slightly shuffled during the gamete swap and hence can lead to changes (Rilly, rilly, rilly, tiny ones) over time etc?

All I'm saying is that evolution isn't completely random. Genes of individuals that survive will reproduce. Not random. Traits that aren't beneficial won't flourish and will eventually die out. This isn't random.
14-01-2016, 11:40 AM
(14-01-2016 11:32 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 10:10 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Blink

What?

All I'm saying is that evolution isn't completely random. Genes of individuals that survive will reproduce. Not random. Traits that aren't beneficial won't flourish and will eventually die out. This isn't random.

That's great. You are still ignoring my comment of gamete shuffling, aren't you? The inherently (And rilly tiny) random aspect about inheritance.

However, you're initial question(Statement?) was;

(13-01-2016 11:41 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 10:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Your OP is nonsense. You can't even begin to support it. There is no argument for it. It's all BS. This is an atheist forum. We don't buy your crap here.
Peddle it somewhere else.

Unless you have some proof for this violent idiot god of yours, you can stop wasting your time.
Why don't you contribute something of worth?

Prove evolution is random.

Which I followed up with a mechanism by which 'randomness' is evident in the system.

As for traits surviving or not? That is yet another example of how an exterior (Also random) factor influences things. The environment changes randomly. It's a complex system (The weather here over the past few days is evidence of that).

So far, you're not winning in this little sub conversation.

Of course, with not much time to post, a lot of the above are more broad generalizations etc.

So, I have a feeling, we'll see which things Pops picks about said response to reply too. Consider
14-01-2016, 11:41 AM
(14-01-2016 11:14 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 10:10 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Your next reply will be interesting to read. Consider

I'd bet more on bewildering than interesting.

Actually, so far to my posts, he's been rather cognizant and coherent. Yes
14-01-2016, 11:46 AM
(14-01-2016 11:41 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 11:14 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I'd bet more on bewildering than interesting.

Actually, so far to my posts, he's been rather cognizant and coherent. Yes

He's been uncharacteristically nearly lucid for a few days now. I don't know if he has some sort of manic disorder or got new meds or what. I don't expect it to last as he's had clearer patches before as well.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-01-2016, 11:48 AM
(14-01-2016 11:40 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 11:32 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  All I'm saying is that evolution isn't completely random. Genes of individuals that survive will reproduce. Not random. Traits that aren't beneficial won't flourish and will eventually die out. This isn't random.

That's great. You are still ignoring my comment of gamete shuffling, aren't you? The inherently (And rilly tiny) random aspect about inheritance.

However, you're initial question(Statement?) was;

(13-01-2016 11:41 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Why don't you contribute something of worth?

Prove evolution is random.

Which I followed up with a mechanism by which 'randomness' is evident in the system.

As for traits surviving or not? That is yet another example of how an exterior (Also random) factor influences things. The environment changes randomly. It's a complex system (The weather here over the past few days is evidence of that).

So far, you're not winning in this little sub conversation.

Of course, with not much time to post, a lot of the above are more broad generalizations etc.

So, I have a feeling, we'll see which things Pops picks about said response to reply too. Consider
Again I do not refute some level of randomness in evolution. I honestly cannot discuss the particulars you request due to lack of study thus far. My initial point still stands; that evolution is not simply random. That's all. I am interested in learning more about Darwin's take on evolution, but this just isn't the best source to me. Not that I doubt your own level of understanding at all. Just that I really don't want to stray too far off topic. My fault though.

Sorry I can't really give an educated rebuttal to the specifics you stated due to ignorance.

Peace