Scriptural support for universal morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2016, 09:00 PM
RE: Scriptural support for universal morality
(13-01-2016 01:29 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 01:06 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  They are core. As in I wouldn't consider the teachings of a pastor or priest who shows greed or a condescending nature to be core belief or based on correct interpretation of core scripture. The base writings of a particular Faith is what I mean by core scripture.

None of this nor the next post answers how you determine what is core? How you trust who determines what is core and to what basis on that evaluation? How do you decide where Enoch, book of Judas, John the Baptist texts, etc. Are or are not the same equivelent as you determine others. And why you would determine things that verge differently like writings of Revelation & pauls writings. Or John in significant contrast to the other 3 Gospels.

You proclaim to accept these things as core because...? If you were in Ethiopia or Tunisia your responses are likely different if you're from central Europe or US. It's also going to be different if you're from Utah or Mississippi. So how do you come to determine what is core?
You still seem to think I'm talking about organized religion. I'm not. The determining factors are if it is peaceable or divides faithful. And if it promotes violence or not. If it promotes prejudice or equality.

The only things I have read that are from core scriptures are things in parenthesis, brackets, and crucifixes. Even then, many times it is truly an attempt to explain a point in the verse, but is also the means of which division, pride, greed, and violence are attempted to be justified. When I find such I study it and the context from which it was applied.

So far the Torah by far has the most contradiction in it. Reluctantly I have come to begin to understand the breadth of the manipulation that has been taught as the inerrant word of Yahweh. So when people go off about the misdirection and condoned violence and sacrifice in the OT I can understand it to some extent. Even in the Torah though, the amount of profitable doctrine greatly out weighs the negative or otherwise misleading sections.

I review scripture from many faiths so I'm not speaking of anything but the books that are recognized as scriptures to those faiths, and not writings or books that stem from them.

I don't know how else to put it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2016, 09:04 PM
(13-01-2016 01:06 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 12:01 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  That doesn't explain who makes these texts Core? Or what makes these texts supposedly less flawed. According to who and what is that so proclaimed?
They are core. As in I wouldn't consider the teachings of a pastor or priest who shows greed or a condescending nature to be core belief or based on correct interpretation of core scripture. The base writings of a particular Faith is what I mean by core scripture.

Repeating an assertion does not make it true.
Your uneducated opinion about anything scriptural is irrelevant.
You are not qualified to say anything on any subject.

The opinions or demeanor of someone teaching a text are irrelevant as to whether a text is true or not.

Once again, you demonstrate you are incapable of critical thought.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-01-2016, 09:08 PM
(13-01-2016 05:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 11:23 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Don't act so foolish.

Just because God predestined all doesn't mean he doesn't wholly control it, or that free will and man don't play a part in their own destiny.

Here you changed the goal posts and MISSED THE ENTIRE POINT.
The POINT was, your stupid god CAUSED A VIOLENT (ie USED VIOLENCE, and sanctioned it), thing to happen, which he had under his control to STOP, (according to you)

Do try to follow along your OWN thread.
It is you that is utterly foolish here.
The example totally REFUTES your bullshit, pops.
Get help soon.
You're not doing well here.
You're a crappy apologist.
Yes he did cause the destruction of a wholly bent people that had turned from the right path who sinned in every conceivable way. You say he could have stopped it. I say people could have turns from their sin as repeatedly advised. They didn't believe the word of GOD. Their destruction, like many other cases of destruction of a wholly wrong doing people could have easily been averted, and was a lesson for future generations as well as a better chance for those who weren't destroyed.

It's funny how people will excuse death of entire species as acts of nature that are simply the way it is, but when a natural disaster happens they wanna act like there is some bad guy. There is no difference. Evolution and nature are by GOD.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
13-01-2016, 09:10 PM
(13-01-2016 06:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 09:54 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I don't feel the need for anything. It's just been made really obvious to me.

Why in the fuck would you think you have privileged access to metaphysics? You special or something? I've never chased a child around in anger and I've raised 4. Don't try to preach to me.
Who said anything about chasing children or being privileged or special?

Not me.
13-01-2016, 09:11 PM
(13-01-2016 07:09 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 01:08 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  The book of Enoch or the words of John the Baptist may not be considered scripture to many sects or religions, but for some they indeed are.

WTF are you on about? How does this even matter to the subject at hand.

This thread just tells me you'll put everything together and claim it true. Seeing as we have monotheisms how is that possible. Muslims blowing up pagan temples that were later xian and then later islamic?
Doesn't sound very together myself.

The cathylickers and the greek orthodox disagree. Not to mention all the rest of the nutters.

Fuckstick. See a Dr and get help. You come across as a POE or insane. Pick one please.
What's a Poe?
13-01-2016, 09:12 PM
(13-01-2016 09:08 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 05:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Here you changed the goal posts and MISSED THE ENTIRE POINT.
The POINT was, your stupid god CAUSED A VIOLENT (ie USED VIOLENCE, and sanctioned it), thing to happen, which he had under his control to STOP, (according to you)

Do try to follow along your OWN thread.
It is you that is utterly foolish here.
The example totally REFUTES your bullshit, pops.
Get help soon.
You're not doing well here.
You're a crappy apologist.
Yes he did cause the destruction of a wholly bent people that had turned from the right path who sinned in every conceivable way. You say he could have stopped it. I say people could have turns from their sin as repeatedly advised. They didn't believe the word of GOD. Their destruction, like many other cases of destruction of a wholly wrong doing people could have easily been averted, and was a lesson for future generations as well as a better chance for those who weren't destroyed.

It's funny how people will excuse death of entire species as acts of nature that are simply the way it is, but when a natural disaster happens they wanna act like there is some bad guy. There is no difference. Evolution and nature are by GOD.

The fact they were destroyed OR WHY is irrelevant.
YOUR OP says that YOUR GOD promotes only non-violence.
He used violence.

Therefore your idiot thesis is proven wrong.

Stop trying to sidestep and evade and change the subject.
YOUR GOD used violence countless times. Therefore your stupid premise that there is "objective morality" is utterly destroyed.

Too bad.

You lose again.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-01-2016, 09:12 PM
(13-01-2016 07:54 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  If only pops would've been around about 3000 years ago, I'm sure a lot of people would've fallen for such a kludge religion.

Fortunately in modern times, a nascent Moses becomes just another internet crank. That's as it should be. Thumbsup
Haven't really mentioned Moses too much.
13-01-2016, 09:13 PM
(13-01-2016 09:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 01:06 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  They are core. As in I wouldn't consider the teachings of a pastor or priest who shows greed or a condescending nature to be core belief or based on correct interpretation of core scripture. The base writings of a particular Faith is what I mean by core scripture.

Repeating an assertion does not make it true.
Your uneducated opinion about anything scriptural is irrelevant.
You are not qualified to say anything on any subject.

The opinions or demeanor of someone teaching a text are irrelevant as to whether a text is true or not.

Once again, you demonstrate you are incapable of critical thought.
Not what I said.
13-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Quote:"As in I wouldn't consider the teachings of a pastor or priest who shows greed or a condescending nature to be core belief or based on correct interpretation of core scripture"

You did. Of course you can barely write a sentence, so who actually knows what you actually meant.

13-01-2016, 09:16 PM
(13-01-2016 09:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-01-2016 09:08 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Yes he did cause the destruction of a wholly bent people that had turned from the right path who sinned in every conceivable way. You say he could have stopped it. I say people could have turns from their sin as repeatedly advised. They didn't believe the word of GOD. Their destruction, like many other cases of destruction of a wholly wrong doing people could have easily been averted, and was a lesson for future generations as well as a better chance for those who weren't destroyed.

The fact they were destroyed OR WHY is irrelevant.
YOUR OP says that YOUR GOD promotes only non-violence.
He used violence.

Therefore your idiot thesis is proven wrong.

Stop trying to sidestep and evade and change the subject.
YOUR GOD used violence countless times. Therefore your stupid premise that there is "objective morality" is utterly destroyed.

Too bad.

You lose again.
False.

Firstly God isn't man so he doesn't murder. Second the natural event that caused the destruction of towns was a natural event. Third it is more moral to limit death and suffering to innocent people be destroying evil ones than to let all be corrupted and as such also destroyed.

Think man