Scuba Steves and stevettes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Scuba Steves and stevettes
I just booked a diving trip to Mexico for next month. Haven't seen any threads about this. Tell me some of your diving and or ocean related stories Smile

I am Padi open water certified ( easiest cert to get for recreational purposes )

I've only dove in Cozumel, MX so far... and going back to MX next month to dive some cenotes and going to take another trip over to Cozumel. ( staying in Playa )

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2012, 04:01 PM
RE: Scuba Steves and stevettes
(18-07-2012 02:11 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I just booked a diving trip to Mexico for next month. Haven't seen any threads about this. Tell me some of your diving and or ocean related stories Smile

I am Padi open water certified ( easiest cert to get for recreational purposes )

I've only dove in Cozumel, MX so far... and going back to MX next month to dive some cenotes and going to take another trip over to Cozumel. ( staying in Playa )
I haven't been diving in years; I got NAUI certified at age 16; all of my diving has been off the New England coast. It's cold, but we have lobsters. Thumbsup

I've skorkeled in Caribbean waters - so clear, so warm.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Not a Steve but a Trevor. And am completely hooked on diving.

My daughter and I both got certified two years ago when she was a wee 16 yrs old. For the first year after our cert (PADI from Lahina Divers in Maui) we did not dive at all. Then for whatever reason my bank account was flush and I got the bug again. Bought a travel bcd, micro reg, travel fins, micro mask and a 3mm suit, took my advanced open water and started booking trips to Cozumel through my LDS. (Underwater Connection in Colorado Springs) Cheap to fly, cheap to stay and cheap to dive.

I have now been to Coz 4 times in the last 18 months. Sometimes for a week, sometimes for 10 days and the diving never gets boring. The currents are always changing and besides, drift diving means you get to see an awful lot on a 50 - 60 minute dive. Sharks, barracudas, eagle rays, octopus, lobsters, snakes, cuttlefish, crabs, seahorses, lots of eels...big......big eels and plenty more.

My fave dive there is Columbia Deep followed immediately (10 minute SI) by Columbia Shallows. But there is so much diversity in the dive sites you can always find something you like. Hey, Jacques Cousteau called it "One of the most beautiful scuba diving areas in the world." If it's good enough for that guy, it sure as hell is good enough for me.

In Feb my daughter, now 18, and I went for 10 days during Carnival. I had no hesitation about letting her wander the city alone. The crime rate is low and the violent crime rate is almost non-existant. It is certainly not up to the comfort scale of Playa, but it's good enough for me.

I now have a scant 77 dives, 60 or so have been in Coz. I might make 100 on my next trip. I have also done some cold water diving in the interior of British Columbia and a really cool dive site in New Mexico called Blue Hole. Oh, and two Cenotes. Chaque mool and Taj Mahal. I think I prefer Chaque but they were both very neat.

This last trip my wife and I went for 10 days. She does not dive so in the interests of marital harmony, I only dove 5 days and a night dive. We rented a scooter for a week and really got to investigate the island. The "wild" east side of Coz has no people to speak of. Beautiful sandy beaches. Crystal clear water just made for surfing (so I am told) and solitude like you would not believe. Imagine a beach, 2 miles long, 100 yards wide with 5 people on it all day long. There is no such thing as heaven, but if there were, mine would look like this.

And you???

Trevor

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
19-07-2012, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2012 02:39 AM by Filox.)
Warm and perfectly clear sea, you say? As usual, the best thing for you to do is come to Croatia.

My God, I sound like a tourism promoter for my country... Smile

[Image: ronjenje5.jpg]

[Image: ronjenje-6.jpg]

[Image: modra_spilja2.jpg]

[Image: dolphin.jpg]

[Image: 7_0BarunGautschPotpalublje.jpg]

[Image: cnt_61.jpg]

[Image: ronioc_hobotnica_r_498887S1.jpg]

Oh, and did I forget to mention that we DON'T HAVE SHARKS? We do have some of them, but smaller ones, non-man-eaters.

To sum it up; warm sea, perfectly clear sea, lot of history (2000 years of ships and whatnot), lot of sea life, many good diving instructors, NO sharks or other big, dangerous fishes...

Yeah, we pretty much rule in everything. I simply do not understand why are you all still not in Croatia...

Big Grin

http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-diving-t...s/croatia/

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
19-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Coyoteran,
Wow.. you have fit a lot of diving into a small amount of time.. I am truely jealous! Besides the two god awful lake dives I had to do here ( Dallas, TX ) in a nasty lake, all of my ocean dives have been in Cozumel. And by all.. I mean all 10 of them done in 5 days on one trip haha.. Angel

I think my favorite dive spot was Palancar Caves and we followed that with Paso del Cedral. I did Columbia Shallows down to 90 feet and then followed with La Francesa. ( my memory isn't that great I actually just had my log book out looking at the places I want to go back to when I'm there ) I thought the term "drift" diving was quite deceiving as these were full blown currents to be reckoned with the week I was there Smile What kind of sharks have you encountered in MX? I almost ran into a nurse shark on one of my dives - I had missed the last two that the dive master tried to show us so I started racing towards him when he made the shark signal -- still being new I had a hard time finding my scuba brake Smile and basically almost ran into the big guy - I scared him outta his cave tho, and I didn't realize a nurse shark could move so fast! I had one of those disposable under water cameras so I took off after him trying to get a picture. I think I ended up with a blurry tail. Laughat I'm excited to hit some of the cenotes in Playa, I snorkeled some a few years ago while doing a zip line tour - that was a surreal experience so I'm excited to explore with bubbles!

Also strange you mentioned the blue hole in NM. I was just looking at youtube videos on that trying to figure out why my scuba shop was doing a trip there. ( I'd never heard of it before ) How was that. It kinda looked boring compared to MX. Would you think it would be worth a trip? To me, it looked like an awesome place to get certified tho- wish we had some place like that around here.

19-07-2012, 12:44 PM
(19-07-2012 02:27 AM)Filox Wrote:  Warm and perfectly clear sea, you say? As usual, the best thing for you to do is come to Croatia.

My God, I sound like a tourism promoter for my country... Smile

[Image: ronjenje5.jpg]

[Image: ronjenje-6.jpg]

[Image: modra_spilja2.jpg]

[Image: dolphin.jpg]

[Image: 7_0BarunGautschPotpalublje.jpg]

[Image: cnt_61.jpg]

[Image: ronioc_hobotnica_r_498887S1.jpg]

Oh, and did I forget to mention that we DON'T HAVE SHARKS? We do have some of them, but smaller ones, non-man-eaters.

To sum it up; warm sea, perfectly clear sea, lot of history (2000 years of ships and whatnot), lot of sea life, many good diving instructors, NO sharks or other big, dangerous fishes...

Yeah, we pretty much rule in everything. I simply do not understand why are you all still not in Croatia...

Big Grin

http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-diving-t...s/croatia/

WOW! Definitely going on my travel list! How amazing to live there year round!!

19-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I wish I could do that. I hope you have the time of your life.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
19-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks.. I am super excited for the trip.. I'm going to my shop to just get a refresher sometime this month. Smile

21-07-2012, 12:19 PM
The only sharks I have seen in Coz are nurse sharks. They are almost like pet dogs. A lot of the local dive masters used to feed them speared lion fish, a horribly invasive species in these waters, and the sharks started following groups of divers looking for a quick snack...of lion fish, not diver. I have been on dives where other groups have seen reef sharks but no such luck for me.

Blue hole is a great place to get certified. It's only 85 feet deep but because it is at altitude the depth converts to 110 on dive charts. Both myself and my daughter got our advanced open water there. It's also a great place to work on camera skills, and other dive skills because it is a relatively controlled environment.

There really isn't any water in Colorado, where I currently hang my hat, for the kid and I it's a worthwhile trip. Unless you live way north in Texas, I would think it's probably not worth the trip for you.

And Filox, I would love to dive in Croatia, and Aruba, and The Turks and and and and and. It's a long list. Air fair is a bit steep though and I am just middle class military guy, not living the life of the super wealthy. I will have to be content with the local fare.

T

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
26-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Look what I found, this is near the island Vis, it is a B-24 Liberator from WW2, American.

[Image: 383_7.jpg]

In a pretty shallow waters, less than 40 meters.

[Image: olja0004-B-24-Liberator-Bomber8.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson