Scum of the earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 11:52 AM
RE: Scum of the earth
(25-10-2012 11:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 10:04 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Look at Johnny being all terse and deadly!

No, terse and ineffective. Drinking Beverage

On another note, it is interesting that no theists or wooists have posted. Consider

Topic author, Chas, and you wonder... man, you ain't functioning on all cylinders today. Tongue

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2012, 12:04 PM
(25-10-2012 11:52 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 11:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, terse and ineffective. Drinking Beverage

On another note, it is interesting that no theists or wooists have posted. Consider

Topic author, Chas, and you wonder... man, you ain't functioning on all cylinders today. Tongue

Maybe not... you've lost me. I am adrift in a sea of bewilderment. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2013, 06:31 PM
(24-10-2012 09:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Fellow scum, I care deeply about you all because I am scum, too. Scum is important to me.
But scum is not important to the universe; the universe doesn't care about scum. The universe doesn't care about anything.

The universe cares because we do!

The universe cares about how much a latte costs, and if the color on the wall is the right shade of blue, and what hospital is best for oncology, who will take care of dad when he gets old... and about a trillion other things. And that's just the human part of the universe! The snails probably have their own set of issues.

...not to mention all the others out there on God knows how many countless other planets.

The universe is probably up to its eyeballs in caring.
Find all posts by this user
28-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I was just checking threads started by Chas since a few have slipped by me when I saw the title to this one and I thought...well...Chas has gone ultra terse and deadly on the mods but it hasn't been caught yet (being in the Science section and all). Instead I now know I'm scum Dodgy Yes

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
28-05-2013, 11:17 PM

(24-10-2012 09:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Stephen Hawking said that humans are "just a chemical scum on the surface of a typical planet that's in orbit around a typical star on the outskirts of a typical galaxy".

Actually, this applies to all of the life on Earth. Our existence is vastly contingent. Had a large object not struck the Yucatan peninsula 65,000,000 years ago, the age of the dinosaurs would not have ended, or at least not then. We would not have come into existence, or at least not yet. Or when, as it is conjectured, homo sapiens numbered only a few thousand in southern Africa due to climate change they might easily have gone extinct. Then where would we be? Nowhere. We wouldn't be here.

If the tape of evolution were rewound any significant distance, what we see today would not recur - it would be different. Evolution doesn't have direction or goals, it is contingent on events and environments and chance mutation. Those mutations would not happen the same way.

Fellow scum, I care deeply about you all because I am scum, too. Scum is important to me.
But scum is not important to the universe; the universe doesn't care about scum. The universe doesn't care about anything.

We care about meaning, about answers to questions of why. Our brains and minds evolved to care about why because that works. Looking for patterns, causes, and reasons has enormous survival value. But our minds look for reasons even where there aren't any. There isn't a purpose to our existence, there isn't a purpose to the universe. We evolved from other life which evolved from other life, ... Life evolved in a universe that has the properties that allow this to happen. There is no fine-tuning of physics. That is just scum looking for an answer to a question that is meaningless. Our evolved consciousness does not create reality, it doesn't even affect it. No biocentrism, no Copenhagen, no psi, no qi.

Religions and woo are attempts to answer the very human questions of why. But the questions are flagrantly narrow, parochial, and anthropocentric.
Get over yourselves.
You are not the crown of creation, the epitome of evolution, the special children of the universe.
You are the scum of the earth.

What a grotesque way to believe. What a horrible, hate-filled opinion of humanity. And how unenlightened you are to ignore all the evidence to the contrary of what you think about people. Imagine the horrors that we would do to each other if we believed the way you believe. Fortunately, most people in the world do not believe that way. Relatively speaking, almost no one believes that way.

Because if you are right, then there is no reason to love, no reason to have honor, no reason, to have courage, no reason to excell, to build civilization, to increase our technology, no reason to know the truth, no reason to hope for anything, no reason to even exist. And most of all--no good reason to believe the way you believe.

We all go through times in our lives when we only see the bad in people and the world; we become nihilists for a season, but reason brings us to realize there is more to this universe than even you, Chas, have allowed yourself to imagine.
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 11:27 PM

(13-03-2013 06:31 PM)aquietbluebird Wrote:  
(24-10-2012 09:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Fellow scum, I care deeply about you all because I am scum, too. Scum is important to me.

The universe cares because we do!

The universe cares about how much a latte costs, and if the color on the wall is the right shade of blue, and what hospital is best for oncology, who will take care of dad when he gets old... and about a trillion other things. And that's just the human part of the universe! The snails probably have their own set of issues.

...not to mention all the others out there on God knows how many countless other planets.

The universe is probably up to its eyeballs in caring.

Interesting point. What if we are the consciousness of the Divine Source? What if our mind is the mind of the Divine expressed in billions (trillions) of life forms that project it into the physical world?
28-05-2013, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 12:07 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(24-10-2012 09:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Stephen Hawking said that humans are "just a chemical scum on the surface of a typical planet that's in orbit around a typical star on the outskirts of a typical galaxy".

Actually, this applies to all of the life on Earth. Our existence is vastly contingent. Had a large object not struck the Yucatan peninsula 65,000,000 years ago, the age of the dinosaurs would not have ended, or at least not then. We would not have come into existence, or at least not yet. Or when, as it is conjectured, homo sapiens numbered only a few thousand in southern Africa due to climate change they might easily have gone extinct. Then where would we be? Nowhere. We wouldn't be here.

If the tape of evolution were rewound any significant distance, what we see today would not recur - it would be different. Evolution doesn't have direction or goals, it is contingent on events and environments and chance mutation. Those mutations would not happen the same way.

Fellow scum, I care deeply about you all because I am scum, too. Scum is important to me.

We care about meaning, about answers to questions of why. Our brains and minds evolved to care about why because that works. Looking for patterns, causes, and reasons has enormous survival value. But our minds look for reasons even where there aren't any. There isn't a purpose to our existence, there isn't a purpose to the universe. We evolved from other life which evolved from other life, ... Life evolved in a universe that has the properties that allow this to happen. There is no fine-tuning of physics. That is just scum looking for an answer to a question that is meaningless. Our evolved consciousness does not create reality, it doesn't even affect it. No biocentrism, no Copenhagen, no psi, no qi.

Religions and woo are attempts to answer the very human questions of why. But the questions are flagrantly narrow, parochial, and anthropocentric.
Get over yourselves.
You are not the crown of creation, the epitome of evolution, the special children of the universe.
You are the scum of the earth.

Obviously Stephen Hawking is no nihilist.
Some 2 year olds NEED their "blankies", or their world fall to pieces, and they can't imagine giving up Santy and their l'il Easter Bunny.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
29-05-2013, 12:14 AM

(28-05-2013 11:32 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Then we have the childish lame-brains. All they can respond to anything they disagree with is ""you're hate filled". Obviously if STEPHEN HAWKING said it, absolutely EVERYTHING that was drooled against the OP is perfectly false. He has great respect for others, and civilization, achievement, etc etc. The Christian knee-jerk BS jump to "the only other possibility other than religious woo woo crap is nihilism" is so infantile. Some 2 year olds NEED their "blankies", or their worlds fall to pieces, and they can't imagine giving up Santy and their Easter Bunny. Some people need to read them some Sam Harris.

You can spew all the hate you want. All it does is make you look immature and desperate. It looks like you aren't in control of yourself.

Chas described the very definition of nihilism in his post. You can't even be a real atheist without being a nihilist. You can pretend to be one so you can keep up the appearance of being intellectual, but unless you embrace what Chas says, and understand what he said, you can't be a real atheist.

I will give Chas one thing: He hit atheist philosophy and implications square on the head. And the one thing I'm certain of: Chas believes what he wrote. Still, I pity people who have no other way to withstand the tribulations of this world and the disappointment they feel toward a humanity that does not live up to its potential, so much so that all they can do is crawl into a hermit crab shell and flush life down the toilet. Atheism is, after all, a defense mechanism.
29-05-2013, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 05:24 AM by Bucky Ball.)
More childish self-projected drivel. 50 year old flip-floppers talking about "maturity", to 20 year olds, going from religion to woo woo astrology, as their flavor of the week/month, is the best joke of the decade.

People who *melt down* in public and start threads named "Odes to someone" then talk about "not being in control of themselves" and then have the balls to say anything about "maturity" are seriously hilarious, after making complete, utter fools of themselves in public, projecting their own infantile hate of their parents onto others they do not even know, and ranting about it, in public, while pretending to be mental health professionals.

Someone with the mental capacity of a two year old, and can only respond to someone who disagrees with them with with insults and retorts displays their ignorance and presumptuous self-projection with every word they say. Obviously all atheists are not nihilists. No one can prove they are. All they do is prove yet again all they ever do is "self-project, and call their self-projected bullshit the truth.

Obviously there are millions of successful, non-nihilist atheists. Self-deluded lying to oneself is proof of nothing except obvious public self-delusion. With the absolute no respect for atheists some display, what the hell they are even doing here, WITH all the nihilists even saying they NEED to hold positions of power among all the nihilists, only proves they are here ONLY for the attention, and complete fools. Thanks for again proving it with every post written. And before it's said one is being "followed and hated", the shit was posted IN PUBLIC, on a PUBLIC board. Those who post shit in public, on public boards, can expect to have their shit called out as shit, in public, as public shit.

One does not "hate" that which is beneath contempt. It's not worth the energy. Only a two year old says "hate" to everything which they do not understand, and to which they have no intelligent answer.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-05-2013, 05:08 AM
(25-10-2012 11:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  On another note, it is interesting that no theists or wooists have posted. Consider

Everything in your first post, the reasons behind how we got here would of all been considered Woo as little as a few hundred years ago.

Back then there would have been consensus and anything that doesn't fall into the this would have been considered "woo"... just like today. Nothing changes.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Earth's 6th Mass Extinction is underway. JDog554 13 200 29-07-2014 06:47 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Earth to get hit with a glancing blow by a CME from Solar Flares. JDog554 0 75 12-06-2014 07:45 PM
Last Post: JDog554
  ISS earth viewing CindysRain 10 168 06-06-2014 05:06 AM
Last Post: Chas
  First potentially habitable Earth-sized planet confirmed JDog554 38 518 20-04-2014 11:24 PM
Last Post: Banjo
  Real time Earth wind map true scotsman 6 416 06-02-2014 09:57 AM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
Lightbulb Humans do NOT come from Earth Abdul Alhazred 20 967 20-11-2013 09:51 AM
Last Post: Hafnof
  This could possibly be the biggest storm in the history of modern earth Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 57 1,059 15-11-2013 03:08 AM
Last Post: PursuingTruth