Scum of the earth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2013, 11:21 AM

RE: Scum of the earth
(29-05-2013 11:15 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 11:27 PM)Egor Wrote:  Interesting point. What if we are the consciousness of the Divine Source? What if our mind is the mind of the Divine expressed in billions (trillions) of life forms that project it into the physical world?

uh oh, perhaps another divine flip flop has been seeded. Does your god speak to you anymore Egor, now that you have left them for parlor tricks?

God's always there. God's been there since I was nine, and it hasn't mattered what religion I was into. I feel closer to God interpreting dreams and looking at charts than I do in any other religious experience. God, the Divine Source, the Higher Self, the Fundamental Monistic Consciousness, the Being of the Universe, whatever you want to call it, I have always had it.

So much so that I find it more interesting to listen to it speak to others than to me. I like to listen in, and I'm able to do that when I interpret dreams.
Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2013, 12:35 PM
(29-05-2013 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, 'woo' is that which is believed without evidence but is proffered and defended as an explanation.

Like the Higgs boson and Quantum mechanics?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2013, 01:09 PM
(29-05-2013 09:44 AM)Egor Wrote:  And for the record I don't think all atheists are nihilists, at least not all people who call themselves atheists are nihilists. Almost no self-reporting atheists are a nihilists. But you can't really be an atheist unless you are a nihilist. Chas's OP is the only rational position a true atheist can take.

I've only given this matter any sort of deep thought on a few occasions, and I'll admit that I don't entirely disagree with you Ed. But so what? What does that mean?

It means that it opens the door for us to give life any meaning we choose to give it. Your new(old) approach to god is as ambiguous as agnosticism. You like your new age shit so you sprinkle some astrological woo on top of your divine force whatever definition of god, and it makes you happy. Good for you. I don't think it hurts anyone.

There are others who choose to take a more naturalistic/scientific approach to figuring out the world and for all anyone can tell this is the only approach that can yield practical positive results for humankind. You may not be hurting anyone, but your not helping. You may disagree, saying that what you do gives some sort of hope, meaning, or purpose to one's life. But really it's just allowing people to ignore reality, which does not bode well for one's sanity in the long run, as we can tell from following your story.

So there is no absolute, inherent meaning for life. So what? I feel lucky to be here and I'm having as much fun as I can figuring life out along the way. I don't have to give it any more meaning than that. You do, I can appreciate that, but you have no right to assume that anyone has to have this despairing view that nothing in life matters. It's not intellectually fair or honest. Grow up.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
29-05-2013, 01:46 PM
(29-05-2013 12:35 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, 'woo' is that which is believed without evidence but is proffered and defended as an explanation.

Quantum mechanics leaves me feeling confused.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

29-05-2013, 03:50 PM

(29-05-2013 01:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You may not be hurting anyone, but your not helping. You may disagree, saying that what you do gives some sort of hope, meaning, or purpose to one's life. But really it's just allowing people to ignore reality, which does not bode well for one's sanity in the long run, as we can tell from following your story.

If Chas is right, I have the vast majority of the 7 billion human minds on the earth to support the notion that we can't handle that truth. If Chas is right, we better forget about it. Because if you believe what he says, and if you let it eat at you day after day, you cannot, absolutely will not, remain a sane individual.

Personally, I think he's wrong.
29-05-2013, 03:56 PM

(29-05-2013 01:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 12:35 PM)bemore Wrote:  Like the Higgs boson and Quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics leaves me feeling confused.

Did you notice how Chas threw in "No Copenhagen." Eventually, atheists will have to deny the findings of quantum mechanics, just like they now shy away from the big bang and many have started trying to embrace an "eternal" universe, or an eternally expanding and contracting universe (which is impossible), anything to get away from the big bang.

The implications of the double-slit experiment are so confounding they basically end any notion that science can arrive at the truth of things. We can work in our world with it, we can use trigonometry and physics to build things and navigate, that's all good; but as soon as we scratch the surface of reality, the whole thing starts to unravel.

My prediction is that eventually atheists will be the new YEC's. They will have to deny so many observations that they will end up looking ridiculous. I think they already do, but in time, I think materialism as a fundamental truth will come too look quite silly.
29-05-2013, 04:03 PM
(29-05-2013 03:50 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 01:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  You may not be hurting anyone, but your not helping. You may disagree, saying that what you do gives some sort of hope, meaning, or purpose to one's life. But really it's just allowing people to ignore reality, which does not bode well for one's sanity in the long run, as we can tell from following your story.

If Chas is right, I have the vast majority of the 7 billion human minds on the earth to support the notion that we can't handle that truth. If Chas is right, we better forget about it. Because if you believe what he says, and if you let it eat at you day after day, you cannot, absolutely will not, remain a sane individual.

Personally, I think he's wrong.

Argument ad populem.

I don't think the history (modern times included) of man gives a very good case for sane or rational thought.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
29-05-2013, 05:14 PM
(29-05-2013 10:38 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 10:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  Time for you to shed the little boy pants and grow up, Ed.

You do know that's impossible -- if anything in a couple months he'll abandon this latest venture in favor of something new exciting. He'll then pretend to be nice and hospitable then change again to nasty and mean...

Because that's what he does.

Like he wrote somewhere he's a "writer." That means he likes characters and wants to be all the characters he creates.

Check the other thread - he's already shedding astrology. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2013, 05:16 PM
(29-05-2013 12:35 PM)bemore Wrote:  

For those, we have evidence.

Try again.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2013, 05:45 PM

(29-05-2013 05:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  Check the other thread - he's already shedding astrology. Drinking Beverage

I'm not shedding astrology. I started doing daily horoscopes as a column on my blog a week and half ago and decided it's not for me. I don't agree with it. Most astrologers don't agree with daily horoscopes and now I see why.

I'm currently working on a chart for a client right now.