Sea weed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Sea weed
I know nothing about it except that several times in restaurants I have had some that was extremely tasty.

The best was a buffet in Vegas that had sea weed as a veggie dish - it was cut into very thin strips and was an unusual mix of soft and crunchy, kind of like some mushrooms are, soft but has a bite to it.

The flavor was mellow and for some reason I craved this. People made fun of me - there we were in one of Vegas' best buffets (whatever happened to quality buffets there? They are gone, most are crappy now) and I sat there with a plate that was mostly sea weed and shrimp.

Anyway, I have no idea what that sea weed dish was called and I have never seen it since.

Does anyone know, and does anyone know what kinds of sea weed to look for and how to prepare it?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-06-2013, 07:22 AM
RE: Sea weed
I don't know exactly what dish it was, but I'm pretty sure what you had is called dulse.

Raw format:
[Image: Menu-Dulse.png]

It's eaten on its own by my family members.

It can be heavily salted, it can be stripped in two smaller pieces and fried and eaten, it also is the ingredient that keeps your toothpaste from separating into fluoride and chalk.

The best place to get it in the states is Maine. In Canada, The Bay of Fundy, especially Grand Manan. People ship them out on ebay, and quite frankly, it's better that way as it's direct from the harvesters to you, and doesn't go stale as fast.

It's a wonderful sea vegetable snack. I didn't quite like the taste of it when I was a kid (my dad ate bags at a time Laughat ) but sometimes I get a hankering to buy some just to get the smell of Dark Harbour brought to me.

[Image: dulse-sign1.jpg]

Mmmmm... Dark Harbour... Big Grin

You like the bite to it? That is one of its interesting features. The sound it makes in your head when it gives and you bite through... Drooling It's more than just the taste!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
23-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I'll have to give this a shot, but it doesn't look like the one I had, mine was deep green.

Yes, the texture is one of the attractions, definitely. Something wonderful about that.

And somehow it hit a spot with me that nothing else did. When I develop a sudden craving for something, I tend to give my body the benefit of the doubt and eat it til sated. I bet there is something in it that my normal diet is lacking...

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-06-2013, 09:01 AM
(23-06-2013 07:22 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I don't know exactly what dish it was, but I'm pretty sure what you had is called dulse.

Raw format:
[Image: Menu-Dulse.png]

It's eaten on its own by my family members.

It can be heavily salted, it can be stripped in two smaller pieces and fried and eaten, it also is the ingredient that keeps your toothpaste from separating into fluoride and chalk.

The best place to get it in the states is Maine. In Canada, The Bay of Fundy, especially Grand Manan. People ship them out on ebay, and quite frankly, it's better that way as it's direct from the harvesters to you, and doesn't go stale as fast.

It's a wonderful sea vegetable snack. I didn't quite like the taste of it when I was a kid (my dad ate bags at a time Laughat ) but sometimes I get a hankering to buy some just to get the smell of Dark Harbour brought to me.

[Image: dulse-sign1.jpg]

Mmmmm... Dark Harbour... Big Grin

You like the bite to it? That is one of its interesting features. The sound it makes in your head when it gives and you bite through... Drooling It's more than just the taste!

You said Maine - I found this: http://theseaweedman.com/products Interesting site.

23-06-2013, 10:02 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about smoking a joint in a boat. Doh!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
23-06-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm sure it's still done, Stark. Tongue

23-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I once watched a 45minute doco on sea weed in food.
I've forgotten every single thing said in that doco... ><

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
23-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Why did the lobster blush?
Cos the sea weed

Sorry

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 5 users Like aurora's post
23-06-2013, 08:06 PM
(23-06-2013 05:59 PM)aurora Wrote:  Why did the lobster blush?
Cos the sea weed

Sorry

Tatarus Sauce, you teach us well. Bowing

24-06-2013, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 06:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-06-2013 08:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  When I develop a sudden craving for something, I tend to give my body the benefit of the doubt and eat it til sated. I bet there is something in it that my normal diet is lacking...

I use it to get my iodine. I buy from Maine Sea Cost Vegetables. It comes dried and I usually just throw it in soup or snack on it dry like a cracker but their web site has other recipes as well.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.