Sean Carroll & William Lane Craig Debate Naturalism vs. Theism, February 21, 2014

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 06:27 PM
Sean Carroll & William Lane Craig Debate Naturalism vs. Theism, February 21, 2014
There was an excellent debate between Sean Carroll & William Lane Craig last Friday on naturalism vs. theism that has flown under everyone's radar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXdYtAwH33k

Sean is a theoretical physicist at CalTech who studies cosmology, field theory, gravitation, and quantum mechanics. Sean took apart WLC's cosmological and fine-tuning arguments leaving him nowhere to stand. He did so by pointing out that 1) the cosmological argument assumes that everything began to exist, but there are plenty of viable cosmological models that are eternal, and 2) the fine-tuning argument is based on a sample size of one. I've put this quite tersely, so be sure to watch as Sean confidently dismantles WLC's arguments and exposes them as merely unsupported assertions. Sean is quite a complete and amiable debater.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes aoflex's post
27-02-2014, 06:46 PM
RE: Sean Carroll & William Lane Craig Debate Naturalism vs. Theism, February 21, 2014
I watched it live and nearly fell asleep. WLC makes me tired and almost ill, maybe that's his new tactic, lull his audience to sleep and then implant theistic tripe into our brains. But seriously, I love science as much as the next person, but this was just boring. I miss Hitch.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: Sean Carroll & William Lane Craig Debate Naturalism vs. Theism, February 21, 2014
Thanks for that.

WLC should be wearing a sparkly leotard to make his acrobatics more exciting to watch.

Consider

Maybe not.

Meanwhile, I recognise your name as a fastidious uploader of The Atheist Experience.

Thank you for doing that and welcome to TTA.

Hi.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-02-2014, 09:36 AM
At your service. My curt and often mocking disposition in youtube comments is merely a result of assuming by default that all yt commenters are trolls - I have very thoughtful and respectful conversations away from yt with the honest theists among us.
28-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Watch Craig while Carroll is speaking. What is he doing ? Fumbling with his papers, dropping shit on the floor etc, etc. He looks nervous, and uncomfortable. Carroll is clearly so much more in command of his material. Craig like to play with the big kids, (such as his address to that cosmological conference in Scotland last year), but he can't quite keep up. He actually didn't directly reply to any of Carroll criticisms. All Craig did was keep repeating his same old same old, (with the business of how illogical it appears to him that the "universe popped out of nothing") which Carroll had ALREADY demonstrated makes no sense to even ask about/talk about. Either he didn't get it, or had no reply to make to it. Oh well. Back to the Christian Old Church Ladies Lunch circuit for Billy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-03-2014, 07:38 PM
(28-02-2014 09:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Watch Craig while Carroll is speaking. What is he doing ? Fumbling with his papers, dropping shit on the floor etc, etc. He looks nervous, and uncomfortable. Carroll is clearly so much more in command of his material. Craig like to play with the big kids, (such as his address to that cosmological conference in Scotland last year), but he can't quite keep up. He actually didn't directly reply to any of Carroll criticisms. All Craig did was keep repeating his same old same old, (with the business of how illogical it appears to him that the "universe popped out of nothing") which Carroll had ALREADY demonstrated makes no sense to even ask about/talk about. Either he didn't get it, or had no reply to make to it. Oh well. Back to the Christian Old Church Ladies Lunch circuit for Billy.

I counted Carroll picking things up off the floor twice and Craig only once. It was a decent debate. I will probably watch it again. I think they talked past each quite a bit though.
01-03-2014, 08:11 PM
(01-03-2014 07:38 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 09:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Watch Craig while Carroll is speaking. What is he doing ? Fumbling with his papers, dropping shit on the floor etc, etc. He looks nervous, and uncomfortable. Carroll is clearly so much more in command of his material. Craig like to play with the big kids, (such as his address to that cosmological conference in Scotland last year), but he can't quite keep up. He actually didn't directly reply to any of Carroll criticisms. All Craig did was keep repeating his same old same old, (with the business of how illogical it appears to him that the "universe popped out of nothing") which Carroll had ALREADY demonstrated makes no sense to even ask about/talk about. Either he didn't get it, or had no reply to make to it. Oh well. Back to the Christian Old Church Ladies Lunch circuit for Billy.

I counted Carroll picking things up off the floor twice and Craig only once. It was a decent debate. I will probably watch it again. I think they talked past each quite a bit though.

Craig had nothing except his tired old junk. Carroll proved how dishonestly Craig's been using some of his references. Carroll was never shuffling his papers as though he was desperately looking for something. It was a good debate. Carroll is a real cosmologist. Craig is a fake one. But I'm no judge. Craig is insufferably pompous. I can't stand to listen to him for more than 10 seconds.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
I always get confused when I hear or read Sean Carroll's name, because there is also a Sean Carroll the biologist.

But usually they are referring to this Sean Carroll here. He's on TV a lot more.

06-03-2014, 03:20 PM

An alternate link. This debate was pretty well done, I must say

It's only a debate if both parties are willing to let each other's opinions change their own.
If you aren't willing to change in light of learning more about what you fight for, what the hell are you doing expecting the other party to want to change?