Seance.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Seance.
First of all, yeah I know it's an anecdotal evidence and all, I just want your opinion.

My friend told me about this. First I'll like to tell you some background on him. He believes in Yahweh, yet he claims that he doesn't believe in the Bible. BUT for some reason he reads a single page of a tiny Tehilim book if he feels like it. I don't understand why, since I'm pretty sure the book comes from the Bible, yet he still says that he doesn't believe in the Bible. And how the hell can he believe in Yahweh if he doesn't believe in the Bible? I can understand that some people who still believe don't believe in the organized religion that is Jewdaism, but not believing the Bible is entirely another thing.

Anyhow, his father isn't much of a believer, but he told him this story (so I'm not sure about him having an interest in lying to his son).
His father (my friend's grandpa) died, but the doctors couldn't find out the cause. My friend's dad, while in his army days, did a seance to ask his father what did he die of. He got an answer, apparently, and his father allegedly said that he died of Group A severe streptococcal infection. They checked it out later, and it turned out to be true.

So I was trying to find out if the details are true. Group A severe streptococcal infection was known since 1928, but it's pretty hard to diagnose as far as I know. So okay, I can understand if the doctors didn't know the cause of death at the time.
But I wondering how did they found out that it was true. They may non-believers, but I'm certain that the Chief Rabbinate of Israel would've allowed them to take out the body for such a reason like finding out the cause of death.

So in an attempt of explaining it, I thought of a possibility. Is it possible that his father read about the streptococcal infection, and perhaps figured it out by himself, so while doing the seance he uncounciously confirmed it for himself, but thought that it was his father who answered the question? After all, Seance "works" only because we expect something to happen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vlad's post
02-10-2012, 06:28 AM
RE: Seance.
Seriously?

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
02-10-2012, 08:30 AM
The only thing I can say with any certainty is the answer didn't come from the seance. Otherwise, there are too many possibilities ranging from outright lies to lucky guesses. I wouldn't be surprised it the seance itself never really happened at all.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
02-10-2012, 09:34 AM
The one thing that gets me is whether or not one would need to do a seance to be able to do an autopsy to confirm cause of death. If a spiritual reason is the key to getting access to the remains, it makes sense. If not, then it doesn't, really.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
(02-10-2012 06:18 AM)Vlad Wrote:  First of all, yeah I know it's an anecdotal evidence and all, I just want your opinion.

My friend told me about this. First I'll like to tell you some background on him. He believes in Yahweh, yet he claims that he doesn't believe in the Bible. BUT for some reason he reads a single page of a tiny Tehilim book if he feels like it. I don't understand why, since I'm pretty sure the book comes from the Bible, yet he still says that he doesn't believe in the Bible. And how the hell can he believe in Yahweh if he doesn't believe in the Bible? I can understand that some people who still believe don't believe in the organized religion that is Jewdaism, but not believing the Bible is entirely another thing.

Anyhow, his father isn't much of a believer, but he told him this story (so I'm not sure about him having an interest in lying to his son).
His father (my friend's grandpa) died, but the doctors couldn't find out the cause. My friend's dad, while in his army days, did a seance to ask his father what did he die of. He got an answer, apparently, and his father allegedly said that he died of Group A severe streptococcal infection. They checked it out later, and it turned out to be true.

So I was trying to find out if the details are true. Group A severe streptococcal infection was known since 1928, but it's pretty hard to diagnose as far as I know. So okay, I can understand if the doctors didn't know the cause of death at the time.
But I wondering how did they found out that it was true. They may non-believers, but I'm certain that the Chief Rabbinate of Israel would've allowed them to take out the body for such a reason like finding out the cause of death.

So in an attempt of explaining it, I thought of a possibility. Is it possible that his father read about the streptococcal infection, and perhaps figured it out by himself, so while doing the seance he uncounciously confirmed it for himself, but thought that it was his father who answered the question? After all, Seance "works" only because we expect something to happen.

If the Bible teaches one smart think, it warns against seances.........Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
03-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Well that was disappointing. I asked him to tell me the story again, in details.

Turns out that the grandpa didn't even tell him the type of the streptococcal infection that he died of. Just "some sort of that infection", which is something the doctors thought probably came up by themselves considering he had some stains on his skin.

But that is not all. He "told him something about the house to confirm that it was him". Of course he couldn't remember what it was.

As for how they knew that he really did die of some infection (No shit, Sherlock), well there was an outbreak of a similar infection so they assumed that it was the same thing that killed the grandpa. No autopsy (they wouldnt be allowed to anyhow), nothing. Why do people even think that dead people suddenly become expert doctors after they die?

And no, apparently he also was joking about not believing in the Bible. Didn't look like he was but whatever.
03-10-2012, 06:08 AM
There is a huge industry and lots of money in seances and clairvoyants etc.

It's natural for people to want to talk to the dead. People die and there are always questions left, even if you anticipate the death and think you took care of everything you could think of.

I would love to ask my mom for some of her recipes and I have a slew of stuff to ask my husband, like where the heck the keys to the shed are and lots of other stuff like that. Since he hasn't been dead long, I still have questions almost every day.

Not to mention the people who never told their departed that they love them, etc etc etc. Lots of people feel guilty everytime they think of someone who died.

So a lot of people shell out all kinds of money to get some answers "from the other side".

Catholics can pay to have mass read for their departed, which is supposed to help them get into heaven. Some people have mass read for someone dead every year for decades. This is not cheap. They must really worry their person is on the road to hell.. or maybe there are better seats to be had in heaven?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Yep - talking to the dead seems to be as profitable as it ever was... maybe more than it ever has been.

I was in a hotel over the weekend and saw a reality show on The Learning Channel staring a woman who says she "speaks with the dead". The show is called Long Island Medium and the woman is named Theresa Caputo - she's adorable as hell and her show is starting it's 3rd season.

Here's the wiki-synopsis of her show:
Each episode focuses on Caputo as she conducts private and group readings, with both believers and skeptics. Her husband Larry and two children, Victoria and Larry, have learned to live with her mediumship, but it can be trying on their relationships. Especially when messages from the dead spontaneously interrupt dinner, visits to the dentist or grocery shopping trips.
Caputo claims she has the ability to communicate with people who have died. "Things are just there," she says. "When I was younger I used to actually see images and hear things. As I got older and shut down, it had changed. Because it was frightening to see people standing there who actually weren’t there. For me now, I feel spirit. I could be in a store standing next to a woman, and her husband passed of a heart attack. I would feel as if someone was laboring my breath, like I couldn’t breathe. That’s my symbol for someone passing by the heart, chest, lung area when they labor my breathing."

As I said, she's quite the personality - someone anyone would like to know and have as a friend. She's kind, empathetic, funny, personable, and positive... and her family is along for the ride.

I have no fucking idea why is this shit is on The Learning Channel. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
03-10-2012, 06:41 PM
(03-10-2012 02:39 PM)kim Wrote:  Yep - tAs I said, she's quite the personality - someone anyone would like to know and have as a friend. She's kind, empathetic, funny, personable, and positive... and her family is along for the ride.

Yeah, I really want to have a deluded or dishonest friend. Yeah. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
(02-10-2012 06:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Seriously?

Smokin <---- closest thing to a seance you will get.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.