Searching within a thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Searching within a thread
I was wondering if this would be possible, if you could search for a username or a word or phrase within a single thread.

Sometimes I see that I posted in a thread, but I can't find it in a 50+ page meltdown.

Also I can sometimes remember a discussion and a word was used in a thread, but it's hair-pulling hell to find it in a thread with more than 5 pages.

Could it be possible to be able to do a username/word/phrase combination?

It's really helpful to nail theists duplicitous BS when you can quote them from something they said a while back.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2015, 04:35 PM
RE: Searching within a thread
There's a search bar in each thread. Just under the 'New Reply' button. Is this what you're looking for?
30-04-2015, 09:20 PM
No, that's a general search, I was looking for something that would confine itself to the thread and could find posts from a particular user and phrases, keywords, etc.

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
30-04-2015, 09:21 PM
No, when you use that little search bar, it searches within the thread. I've used it in other threads Yes
30-04-2015, 09:26 PM
I just went to the ranting corner and put in 'girlyman' it brought up a list of posts in that specific thread where girlyman was the poster, or mentioned in a post. You can click the 'author' header to sort be poster if you want to look for posts from just that person.

[Image: noNzz15.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
30-04-2015, 09:45 PM
I just oogled girlyman and I got:
[Image: g1.png]

Let's try it again.

#sigh
30-04-2015, 09:51 PM
[Image: g2.png]

It appears smerc dark magic is what you are looking for.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-05-2015, 05:56 AM
(30-04-2015 09:26 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I just went to the ranting corner and put in 'girlyman' it brought up a list of posts in that specific thread where girlyman was the poster, or mentioned in a post. You can click the 'author' header to sort be poster if you want to look for posts from just that person.

[Image: noNzz15.jpg]

What you show is kind of what I'm looking for, though if it could be combined with keywords, that would be awesome.

I suppose it's two different things:

1. Returning all posts from a user in the thread.

I seem to get inconsistent results from this, but I'll have to experiment some more.

2. Associating keywords with a user.

So I could look up all of the times BuckyBall or goodwithoutgod uses the term "Moses" so this would yield a very good way to do research.

01-05-2015, 07:11 AM
(30-04-2015 09:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  [Image: g2.png]

It appears smerc dark magic is what you are looking for.

I went back to one thread that's 35 pages long and did a search on my name, it only returned one result, that was when someone mentioned my name in their posts, but it ignored my posts, so it didn't use my username or partial spellings of my user name in the search, it only searched within posts themselves without returning every post I've made in that thread.

SMERCURY seems to be getting the result I'm looking for, however, I can't seem to duplicate what she's getting, I'm getting what you're getting GM.

01-05-2015, 07:20 AM
(01-05-2015 07:11 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  SMERCURY seems to be getting the result I'm looking for, however, I can't seem to duplicate what she's getting, I'm getting what you're getting GM.

Search for the keywords that you want, not the author's name. When you get the results click on the "author" column header and it will sort the results by author and that will let you scroll down and look only at posts by that person.

It isn't quite what you are looking to be able to do but it comes close.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post