Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 06:00 AM
Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty
I'll get flamed for this one - but I'll have more fun than Lord Dark Helmet pulling off his spectacular election prediction, in a few years.

Seattle just decided to become the next Detroit.

They enacted their boneheaded $15 an hour minimum wage law (read business tax), and now an income tax on higher wage earners. (If minimum wage really worked and didn't spur inflation, how come they have to keep upping it ?- coincidentally around election time).

I guess they want to be able to pay all the welfare, and generous city pensions...

That'll be fine - till the big businesses pull out - markets change and the big sources of income dry up and blow away.....

Then the city will cut back on services, the streetlight will go dark, crime will go up - and those that can afford to - will flee for greener pastures.

Just like Detroit....

I guess if you've got a political bent - you can apply as Emergency Manager.... They'll be needing one in the future....

Coincidentally - my sister just left and moved back to Michigan....

She wanted to beat the traffic.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-07-2017, 06:27 AM
RE: Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty
I presume they've done some due diligence on this. I'd hold off on crowing about it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-07-2017, 06:35 AM
(17-07-2017 06:27 AM)morondog Wrote:  I presume they've done some due diligence on this. I'd hold off on crowing about it.

Lol....

They asked each other if it was a good idea, and they all thought it was....

And yeah - it will take years - and when it happens they' ll blame somebody else.

SSDD

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Trickle down or trickle up - both keep the money moving but trickle up makes more people happy and safe.

In the case of minimum wage - it affects places like fast food joints the most. But - they also benefit most from "trickle up" - their customers are the ones who have more money to spend.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
17-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Since enacting the $15 minimum wage Seattle has been having a Boom economy. It is the fastest growing in the country. Seems to be working well In fact all but 1 study (that seems to have been biased in it's data gathering) has found that the effect is nearly all positive.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-07-2017, 08:38 AM
(17-07-2017 07:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Since enacting the $15 minimum wage Seattle has been having a Boom economy. It is the fastest growing in the country. Seems to be working well In fact all but 1 study (that seems to have been biased in it's data gathering) has found that the effect is nearly all positive.

They just jumped off the building...

It takes a while. Years..

5 to 20 I'd guess.

But like that first step off the building the ending is pretty predictable..

17-07-2017, 09:05 AM
(17-07-2017 08:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 07:53 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Since enacting the $15 minimum wage Seattle has been having a Boom economy. It is the fastest growing in the country. Seems to be working well In fact all but 1 study (that seems to have been biased in it's data gathering) has found that the effect is nearly all positive.

5 to 20 I'd guess.

Except not. You are an idiot I know, brain is rattled from not wearing a helmet. You can say what you want but you have nothing to back it up. I posted actual numbers so kindly go fuck yourself.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
17-07-2017, 09:09 AM
(17-07-2017 08:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

5 to 20 I'd guess.

Cite some data or some studies. What policies do you recommend in preference?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-07-2017, 09:20 AM
(17-07-2017 09:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 08:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They just jumped off the building...

5 to 20 I'd guess.

Cite some data or some studies. What policies do you recommend in preference?

If you want to see how to crash an economy, it is not progressive policies but rather core Conservative ones. Kansas is a living experiment in Republican policies and it is a shithole. The economy is in the toilet, the Governors own party is in revolt and repealed his tax cuts because the state is nearly bankrupt. Raising the minimum wage will not kill a city but slashing taxes on the rich will.

[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-07-2017, 09:23 AM
(17-07-2017 09:20 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Raising the minimum wage will not kill a city but slashing taxes on the rich will.

B-b-but REVS Sadcryface2 If we tax the rich they'll run away somewhere else with their lovely money, and if we pay the poor a living wage they'll have no incentive to work Sadcryface2

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post