Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 02:50 PM
RE: Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty
(18-07-2017 02:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 12:36 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So Elon Musk should risk his fortunes to start a potential multi-billion company, so he can earn $80,000 a year???

Batman Bruce Musk is no longer motivated by money. He intends to become a cyborg and move to Mars. I wouldn't bet against him.

Personally my number 1 life goal is to become his best friend and join him, both with becoming a cyborg and going to mars....

I sent an application to the civilian space center even but... well my IT skillz just aren't quite good enough against what the competition is offering.... They never contacted me for an interview /cry

Fuck I'd sell my left nut to go work for him at the civilian space center

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2017, 03:29 PM
(18-07-2017 01:45 PM)ImFred Wrote:  If a company generates $20 M in profit a year the owner could pocket $150,000 and have 397 employees making $50,000 a year.

A company that generates $20 M in profits probably generates at least $100 M in revenue and probably has at least 397 employees making $50,000 a year. Many are going to make more than that. Those $50,000 employees don't cost the company $50,000 each though. They are going to cost at least $75,000 each once you tack on fringe, overhead costs and G&A costs. Probably more than that.

Your 3x the pay of the lowest paid employee idea is ridiculous. Our company employs unskilled, skilled labor and professionals. We can't pay an unskilled janitor or warehouse laborer to provide that service to others more than $13.25 an hour because no one will pay us more than $24 an hour for the service. At less than $24 an hour the company loses money on that employee so if we pay them $15 an hour there is no job for them to do.

On the other hand we can pay an experienced engineer $140,000 a year because enough people are willing to pay us $120 an hour for their services for at least 1800 hours a year to make them profitable for the company. Asking the CEO to take a salary that's only 60% of the engineers salary because the janitor position is only worth $27,800 is dumb.

Having said all that it doesn't mean I don't personally support a higher minimum wage. If everyone had to pay janitors $15 an hour then a competitive rate for that service would be $27 not $24 an hour and our company could survive. It would however mean that people are going to spend more to have the trash taken out and the toilets cleaned, and that is going to result in you paying more for your widget. Hopefully you got a raise to cover that too. If not sorry Fred but you're screwed.

I also agree that if a company can't pay an employee a living wage they shouldn't be in business.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
18-07-2017, 03:48 PM
(18-07-2017 11:49 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 11:12 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's even more pronounced in small business. So, in effect minimum wages aren't all that bad for mega corporations - as it helps eliminate competition.

I think that's true. Seattle has considered the potential impacts on small businesses and came up with a 6 year phase-in to $15. But fuck the mega corporations, if Costco can eat it and outperform them at the same time, I don't buy that they can't eat it.

$10.00 by April 1, 2015
$10.50 by January 1, 2016
$11.00 by January 1, 2017
$11.50 by January 1, 2018
$12.00 by January 1, 2019
$13.50 by January 1, 2020
$15.00 by January 1, 2021
$15.75 by January 1, 2022
$16.50 by January 1, 2023
$17.25 by January 1, 2024

By 2024 40% of us will have been replaced by automation anyway so it won't really matter.

It's funny because many Seattle small businesses began raising their own ahead of the law. Many increased pay to $15 an hour and have discovered that people are staying longer with them, learning and growing comfortable in their positions, instead of the revolving door, where they lose money training new people.

Many restaurants also began paying the $15 an hour and learned service improved -- and now a scant few are eliminating tipping.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-07-2017, 03:50 PM
(18-07-2017 02:47 PM)JesseB Wrote:  To clarify, yes I'm talking about politicians I apologize about the confusion, I was trying to word it to include state and local politicians too.... but it was worded poorly (seeing as I'm applying for several government IT positions with the county I really don't want to enforce that on my skill set lol)

You are forgiven. Peace be with you. In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Quote:We can't pay an unskilled janitor or warehouse laborer to provide that service to others more than $13.25 an hour because no one will pay us more than $24 an hour for the service. At less than $24 an hour the company loses money on that employee so if we pay them $15 an hour there is no job for them to do.

Then clean the toilets yourself.
18-07-2017, 03:58 PM
(18-07-2017 03:55 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
Quote:We can't pay an unskilled janitor or warehouse laborer to provide that service to others more than $13.25 an hour because no one will pay us more than $24 an hour for the service. At less than $24 an hour the company loses money on that employee so if we pay them $15 an hour there is no job for them to do.

Then clean the toilets yourself.

I may have found the fix to all ya'll problems Wink

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-07-2017, 03:59 PM
(18-07-2017 02:50 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 02:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Batman Bruce Musk is no longer motivated by money. He intends to become a cyborg and move to Mars. I wouldn't bet against him.

Personally my number 1 life goal is to become his best friend and join him, both with becoming a cyborg and going to mars....

I sent an application to the civilian space center even but... well my IT skillz just aren't quite good enough against what the competition is offering.... They never contacted me for an interview /cry

Ima tell him if he doesn't make me one of the guinea pigs for that neural lace shit Ima make it myself hoping he'll take pity on me. I'm tired of being IO bound goddamit.

#sigh
18-07-2017, 04:02 PM
(18-07-2017 03:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 02:50 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Personally my number 1 life goal is to become his best friend and join him, both with becoming a cyborg and going to mars....

Ima tell him if he doesn't make me one of the guinea pigs for that neural lace shit Ima make it myself hoping he'll take pity on me. I'm tired of being IO bound goddamit.

Hey, don't leave me out of this idea! I want in too!

Big Grin
18-07-2017, 04:08 PM
(18-07-2017 03:29 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 01:45 PM)ImFred Wrote:  If a company generates $20 M in profit a year the owner could pocket $150,000 and have 397 employees making $50,000 a year.
Your 3x the pay of the lowest paid employee idea is ridiculous.

I think ImNotFred was just making a point, not suggesting a specific standard. - Ratio between CEOs and average workers in world in 2014, by country But I'm not Fred. Smile

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-07-2017, 04:14 PM
(18-07-2017 03:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's funny because many Seattle small businesses began raising their own ahead of the law. Many increased pay to $15 an hour and have discovered that people are staying longer with them, learning and growing comfortable in their positions, instead of the revolving door, where they lose money training new people.

Many restaurants also began paying the $15 an hour and learned service improved -- and now a scant few are eliminating tipping.

Costco started in Seattle. 'Nuff said. (respect)

#sigh