Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2017, 02:37 PM
RE: Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty
Knowing how to work alone is equally important. You may not realize how socially dysfunctional much of America is. That's the school to prison pipeline, a complete inability to function in a productive way. You almost have to live in it to understand how profound and widespread this phenomenon is.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
17-07-2017, 02:48 PM
(17-07-2017 02:23 PM)ImFred Wrote:  In America, IB very aggressively funnels money away from low income students into the hands of the upper middle class. Schools pay tens of thousands of dollars per year to call themselves IB yet IB provides nothing but a philosophic framework. No texts, no software, no computers, no transportation- just expensive out of town workshops for teachers that offer no practical support. Believe me, I know.

That's also one of the big reason why I don't like how IB works. It's mostly a scam that makes public school worst. Yet, their philosophy and approach is more sound and beneficial to students than the traditionnal school program of most country or State. Civic education is not considered seriously and professionally enough to be efficient (its also an enormous ideological batteground which certainly doesn't help). The big problem is that it's used as a select club for certain high ranking schools or, even worst, a select group of students from a given school instead of being used and open to all. That would require seriously more resources allocated in education and distribute it to each according to their needs to provide equal opportunities to children. That's a big problem because there is a surprisingly large amount of people who are opposed to that sort of thinking.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
17-07-2017, 03:00 PM
(17-07-2017 01:38 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 01:33 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't truly expect such catastrophe.

I think if there isn't one, it'll be because some seriously brilliant people averted the current course of history. As much as that makes me sound like a doomsday prepper Tongue But climate change is no joke, and neither is the problem of overpopulation, to say nothing of the problem under discussion, which is automation taking people's jobs.

I do believe that technology will be a key component of any strategy to address any of these problems, and hopefully not in a nuclear bomb technology sense.

Hey World! Got a problem with Global Warming? We have the solution!

Get ACME's "Nuclear Winter" for all you over-population needs.

Available at the low low price of ... the end of civilisation as we know it.

Big Grin

(17-07-2017 02:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Is teamwork really such a mile stone?

Damn, I slid right through life without any inclination to participate in any team. Except as "coach".

I am lousy at teamwork (never seen one that didn't have someone grinding my nerves and sucking the team's blood) and I am impossible at subordination.

Oddly, I have always been good at putting teams together. Maybe I know to avoid the nerve grinders and blood suckers. Consider

Did you do that on purpose as revenge for that "brat" thing I did to you last week?

You know I can't not bring up Belbin under such circumstances Tongue

Your personality type aligns to the Shaper and Co-ordinator roles (and I'm guessing, the Monitor-Evaluator role) and not the Teamworker role.

... which means you are working in a team without being the Teamworker.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
17-07-2017, 03:03 PM
You still have a supply/demand situation to contend with. Microeconomics do not go out the window simply because we want to ensure people can have raises to take care of families. When the price of labor goes up, you will see a combination of the following: 1) fewer workers who get more hours, 2) a more cost effective substitute for higher priced labor (automation), and/or 3) the business goes belly up (small businesses predominantly). The problem with minimum wage jobs are that too many people are working them to survive and not for the stepping stone that many of them were supposed to be. And if you really want to know the real reason why the Dems/Progs want higher minimum wage rates think of how union contracts are set up wrt to compensation. THAT is why people are pushing hard for minimum wage jobs. It's to keep political donations flowing into the coffers of a certain political party.
17-07-2017, 03:13 PM
(17-07-2017 03:03 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  You still have a supply/demand situation to contend with. Microeconomics do not go out the window simply because we want to ensure people can have raises to take care of families. When the price of labor goes up, you will see a combination of the following: 1) fewer workers who get more hours, 2) a more cost effective substitute for higher priced labor (automation), and/or 3) the business goes belly up (small businesses predominantly). The problem with minimum wage jobs are that too many people are working them to survive and not for the stepping stone that many of them were supposed to be. And if you really want to know the real reason why the Dems/Progs want higher minimum wage rates think of how union contracts are set up wrt to compensation. THAT is why people are pushing hard for minimum wage jobs. It's to keep political donations flowing into the coffers of a certain political party.

How then do you explain, well basically all of Western Europe. European minimum wage is very high and we see none of those issues. Automation is not tied to work wages so keeping wages at below poverty levels do not hold that off. Businesses do business in areas where people are buying their product and the people most likely to buy are lower and middle class. As to the Dems want Higher pay for political donations, well that is laughable as most Dems are nowhere near progressive and even in party there is no consensus on this being a major issue.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-07-2017, 03:20 PM
As usual, the people without any empathy are aghast.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
17-07-2017, 03:25 PM
(17-07-2017 03:03 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  You still have a supply/demand situation to contend with. Microeconomics do not go out the window simply because we want to ensure people can have raises to take care of families. When the price of labor goes up, you will see a combination of the following: 1) fewer workers who get more hours, 2) a more cost effective substitute for higher priced labor (automation), and/or 3) the business goes belly up (small businesses predominantly). The problem with minimum wage jobs are that too many people are working them to survive and not for the stepping stone that many of them were supposed to be. And if you really want to know the real reason why the Dems/Progs want higher minimum wage rates think of how union contracts are set up wrt to compensation. THAT is why people are pushing hard for minimum wage jobs. It's to keep political donations flowing into the coffers of a certain political party.

Mmmm. So what's the alternative? Work people to death for jobs that are below a livable wage?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-07-2017, 03:33 PM
(17-07-2017 03:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 02:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Is teamwork really such a mile stone?

Damn, I slid right through life without any inclination to participate in any team. Except as "coach".

I am lousy at teamwork (never seen one that didn't have someone grinding my nerves and sucking the team's blood) and I am impossible at subordination.

Oddly, I have always been good at putting teams together. Maybe I know to avoid the nerve grinders and blood suckers. Consider

Did you do that on purpose as revenge for that "brat" thing I did to you last week?

You know I can't not bring up Belbin under such circumstances Tongue

Your personality type aligns to the Shaper and Co-ordinator roles (and I'm guessing the Monitor-Evaluator role) and not the Teamworker role.

... which means you are working in a team without being the Teamworker.

Dodgy

... which means you are working a team without being a Teamworker.

Fixed. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-07-2017, 03:41 PM

Or could it be that money can trickle up just as it can trickle down? And that the poorer crowd is much more likely to keep it's money moving, which means that "trickle up" has a better chance of succeeding?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-07-2017, 04:00 PM
(17-07-2017 03:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 03:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  ... which means you are working in a team without being the Teamworker.

Dodgy

... which means you are working a team without being a Teamworker.

Fixed. Tongue

I guess you could argue that the farmer works the farm. I'd argue that the farm works the farmer.

Symbiosis, baby!

Big Grin