Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2017 01:39 PM by epronovost.)
RE: Seattle - how to tax a city into poverty
(18-07-2017 12:36 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 11:26 AM)ImFred Wrote:  If you can't afford to pay people minimum wage then do the work yourself. Why should anybody work for less than they can live on?

I think the law should be no one is allowed to make more than three times what the lowest paid employee makes at any business. If the cashiers at Walmart make $8 an hour the CEO's should be held at $24. Surely they can live on THREE TIMES as much as they expect their employees to live on!

So Elon Musk should risk his fortunes to start a potential multi-billion company, so he can earn $80,000 a year???

Sure, that seems fair....

Dodgy

Under such a system there would not be any multi-billion company. It would be impossible to obtain such a massive capital. Traditional banking would also crumble as only financial cooperatives could be supported. It would produce a very different type of economy than the one we are used to. Elon Musk would be at the head of a guild-like organisation that would regroup dozens of small businesses and cooperatives to produce high end goods. His personnal risk would thus be shared on much more hands, so would be his work load and personnal responsability. But that's just a guess, I have absolutly no clue on how such an economy would work.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2017, 01:30 PM
If you're living on that little I suggest you stop worrying about what's fair for billionaires.
18-07-2017, 01:45 PM
If a company generates $20 M in profit a year the owner could pocket $150,000 and have 397 employees making $50,000 a year.
18-07-2017, 01:52 PM
(18-07-2017 01:45 PM)ImFred Wrote:  If a company generates $20 M in profit a year the owner could pocket $150,000 and have 397 employees making $50,000 a year.

Don't be ridiculous. How will the CEO purchase his gold lined bathtub? He needs every cent of that 20 million.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-07-2017, 02:15 PM
(18-07-2017 06:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 10:33 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Hey if it wasn't for minimum wage half my raises wouldn't exist (raises from the jobs I worked that paid minimum wage, this would include Game Crazy, Staples, hmm... other service jobs I have done at various points in my life for some reason I'm blanking on the others)

Companies that pay minimum wage at most offer raises on an annual basis between 0.05 and 0.25.... yea..... you heard that right....

You're failing to note that each time you got a "" raise," in minimum wage - some other guy who was busting his ass to get ahead, and had received a pay raise to "minimum wage" + (whatever raise he'd earned) was now knocked back down to minimum wage....

In other words, any incentive to work hard is removed...

All minimum wage does is put more people at the very bottom of the pay scale.

Soon, inflation will correct things till you're right back where you started - with not enough money.....

But don't bother working hard to get ahead...

Cuz you know what's going to happen.... They'll raise minimum wage again......

Round and round we go... Everybody stays poor...

( and the people on fixed incomes - like Grandma scraping by on SSI, well fuck her, huh???)

Wait wait wait wait wait. I actually quite agree with you on this, that's why I suggested that the plan I like is one that taxes the fuck on buisness that don't pay their employee's enough to live on, rather than enforcing a minimum wage. In the end neither solution really goes far enough to solve the dirty underhanded secret tactic of slum lords.

Aka landlord hears (A raise in minimum wage) and thinks (more money for us landlords). Cause fuck me dude they'll have no fucking problem raising the rent exactly enough to take that minimum wage hike away from people....

It's a complex problem and there's no silver bullet solution, but one thing is certain. Businesses (emphasis on big business) and landlords are the fucking enemy here more than anyone else. And it's important to note that there is a difference between what a Multi Billion dollar company and a small mom n pop shop can afford for their employees. In a truly well managed economy, our anti trust laws would have broken up all these "too big to fail" businesses already, they are the ingredient that is the source of most of these problems. We didn't have these problems to this extreme before, but hell we didn't have trillion-ares before either.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-07-2017, 02:18 PM
(18-07-2017 01:26 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 01:22 PM)ImFred Wrote:  He shouldn't be expecting people to live on under $27,000 then. That does seem fair, actually.

So send me some...

27 k is a bit more than twice what I live on....

It's almost 3 times what I live on currently......

We really wanna fix these issues? Tie government employee's income to the medium household income, then give life in prison for any who take money on the side from lobbyists, ect.... I bet shit'll be fixed real fast we do something like that. Suddenly they'll find a way to make sure everyone has plenty of money (cause lets face it all they really care about is their own bank accounts and their lifetime pensions and their Cadillac medical plans that none of the rest of us get. What we need is for our representatives to be living LIKE us not like some RULING class that shouldn't exist in this country).

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
18-07-2017, 02:27 PM
>.> If you wanna see how disengenuous this debate has become as of late, go look at tax rates on the top income earners for the late 1940's and 50's compared to today, during the biggest economic boom our nation has ever seen (I think, I'm not quite sure if that's right but during one of the biggest if I'm slightly off here). Then you'll see how full of shit these arguments that we should be slaves that exist only to gather wealth for the rich are. Cause that's what's goin on here. Elon musk shouldn't risk his fortune to make 80k a year he should risk his fortune to make billions a year and subject his employee's to abject poverty in pursuit of those billions.... that's fair?

I don't begrudge him his money, I don't begrudge him trying to make all he can. Provided he properly compensates the people who actually MAKE his fucking fortune FOR him for their time and effort (aka don't fucking force your full time employee's on welfare just so YOU can have a few extra million at the end of the fucking year, that burdens EVERYONE only to benefit the rich HOW THE FUCK IS THAT FAIR? OR RIGHT?).

Big Grin
18-07-2017, 02:34 PM
(18-07-2017 12:36 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  So Elon Musk should risk his fortunes to start a potential multi-billion company, so he can earn $80,000 a year???

Batman Bruce Musk is no longer motivated by money. He intends to become a cyborg and move to Mars. I wouldn't bet against him.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-07-2017, 02:37 PM
(18-07-2017 02:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  We really wanna fix these issues? Tie government employee's income to the medium household income,

No

(18-07-2017 02:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  then give life in prison for any who take money on the side from lobbyists, ect....

Yes

(18-07-2017 02:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I bet shit'll be fixed real fast we do something like that. Suddenly they'll find a way to make sure everyone has plenty of money (cause lets face it all they really care about is their own bank accounts and their lifetime pensions and their Cadillac medical plans that none of the rest of us get.

You overestimate the clout of the beleaguered civil servant shit on at every turn by both Democunts and Republicrites.

(18-07-2017 02:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  What we need is for our representatives to be living LIKE us not like some RULING class that shouldn't exist in this country).

Okay, you're talking about politicians not civil servants in this post, right?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-07-2017, 02:47 PM
(18-07-2017 02:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 02:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  We really wanna fix these issues? Tie government employee's income to the medium household income,

No

(18-07-2017 02:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  then give life in prison for any who take money on the side from lobbyists, ect....

Yes

(18-07-2017 02:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I bet shit'll be fixed real fast we do something like that. Suddenly they'll find a way to make sure everyone has plenty of money (cause lets face it all they really care about is their own bank accounts and their lifetime pensions and their Cadillac medical plans that none of the rest of us get.

You overestimate the clout of the beleaguered civil servant shit on at every turn by both Democunts and Republicrites.

(18-07-2017 02:18 PM)JesseB Wrote:  What we need is for our representatives to be living LIKE us not like some RULING class that shouldn't exist in this country).

Okay, you're talking about politicians not civil servants in this post, right?

To clarify, yes I'm talking about politicians I apologize about the confusion, I was trying to word it to include state and local politicians too.... but it was worded poorly (seeing as I'm applying for several government IT positions with the county I really don't want to enforce that on my skill set lol)

Big Grin