Second Gravitational Wave Detection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Second Gravitational Wave Detection
The LIGO observatory has announced a second detection of gravitational waves. These waves were also produced by a pair of merging black holes and were detected in December, 2015. The black holes that produced this event were smaller than the ones that produced the first gravitational waves detected, massing approximately 8 and 14 solar masses. The newly formed black hole was 21 solar masses with about a solar mass converted into energy, largely as gravitational waves.

So it looks like the upgraded laser interferometers that LIGO is using are a success and black hole mergers are a reasonably common event in our universe.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Paleophyte's post
16-06-2016, 09:39 PM
RE: Second Gravitational Wave Detection
I had to follow a link in the article, but they started talking about eLISA and Super Massive Black Holes.
eLISA and the super massive black holes

[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
16-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Just answer me one question. Is this something I need to worry about?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-06-2016, 09:46 PM
nope. in a nutshell, they can detect these waves now that occur when large masses change direction. Unlike light waves or xrays, these gravitational waves cruise along right through everything, which means they are unperturbed as they travel through spacetime. No matter how far they travel, the information will not be corrupted or bent by passing by stars, as it does with light waves and the like.
16-06-2016, 09:48 PM
(16-06-2016 09:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just answer me one question. Is this something I need to worry about?

As long as they had a very accurate calibrator for their magnetic containment field.

Or just yes, the holes are so small they hardly register but those that do still nearly immediately evaporate.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys! I'll be able to sleep tonight.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

16-06-2016, 10:05 PM
(16-06-2016 07:06 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ...
a pair of merging black holes ... massing approximately 8 and 14 solar masses.

Yeah, well, they always say it's a merger but in truth it's an acquisition. Next thing you know, there'll be downsizing and someone's gonna lose their job.

(16-06-2016 07:06 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  ...
21 solar masses with about a solar mass converted into energy

Told ya!

Angry

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
16-06-2016, 10:25 PM
(16-06-2016 09:46 PM)skyking Wrote:  nope. in a nutshell, they can detect these waves now that occur when large masses change direction. Unlike light waves or xrays, these gravitational waves cruise along right through everything, which means they are unperturbed as they travel through spacetime. No matter how far they travel, the information will not be corrupted or bent by passing by stars, as it does with light waves and the like.

It's good to be unperturbed when you travel.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-06-2016, 10:40 PM
(16-06-2016 09:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just answer me one question. Is this something I need to worry about?

Yeah, it could cause cancer.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
17-06-2016, 01:13 AM
As a sci-fi fanatic, reading voraciously growing up, I came across a book in high school that remains one of my favorites of all time, The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. In it, the ships travel by "jumping" from singularities to singularities, while traveling at 99.9% of C. The singularities are actually fairly common in deep space, so by charting them and flying exactly in the path from one to another, the book proposed, a ship could "jump" to a distant part of the galaxy where it intercepted the other singularity. The trip to the distant jump-point, though, had to be undertaken at Einstinian velocities, and resulted in time dilation for the soldiers and crew aboard the ships. You could return from a two-year mission to find that 40 years had gone by on earth. Thus the title.

I also enjoyed the Honor Harrington series of books by David Weber, in which they use gravitational distortion to accelerate the ships at hundreds of g without squashing the crew, and detect other ships using this technology via gravitational waves.

We have sensed, with our crude early-21st-century equipment, the first gravity waves. We know they're no longer sci-fi or mathematical probability. Who knows what we'll be able to do with this information in the next 200+ years of better electronics and sensors?

The geek in me rejoices!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post