Second Gravitational Wave Detection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2016, 03:47 AM
RE: Second Gravitational Wave Detection
(16-06-2016 09:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just answer me one question. Is this something I need to worry about?

No. You have way more to worry about with humans and pollution and climate change and violence. Outside the planet meteors would be a more short term problem.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2016, 03:50 PM
(16-06-2016 09:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just answer me one question. Is this something I need to worry about?

The distortion to space-time from the event that they measured in September was large enough to change the distance from Earth to Alpha Centauri by about the width of a human hair for a fraction of a second.

This one was considerably less energetic.

That said, you should always check under your bed to make sure there aren't inspiralling black holes before drifting off for the night. Tongue

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
17-06-2016, 07:32 PM
(17-06-2016 03:50 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

The distortion to space-time from the event that they measured in September was large enough to change the distance from Earth to Alpha Centauri by about the width of a human hair for a fraction of a second.

This one was considerably less energetic.

That said, you should always check under your bed to make sure there aren't inspiralling black holes before drifting off for the night. Tongue

'nother monster under my bed to not fear. Drinking Beverage
17-06-2016, 11:03 PM
Second Gravitational Wave Detection
What is gravity? I know the effects of it but what is it?
19-06-2016, 05:43 AM
Under relativity gravity is a description of the shape of space as it is bent by matter. Under quantum theory gravity is a mystery. Anything beyond that is basically speculation at this point in time.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.