Second hand smoke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2014, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2014 05:44 PM by Hughsie.)
Second hand smoke
I just watch the South Park episode "Butt Out" that repeatedly states there is no conclusive proof that second hand smoke kills, I've also heard this from other sources too. On the other hand I've heard plenty of people who are adamant that is does kill.

Can anyone clear this up for me, is there actually conclusive scientific proof that second hand smoke kills or not?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2014, 05:43 PM
RE: Second hand smoke
(29-04-2014 05:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I just watch the South Park episode "Butt Out" that repeatedly states there is conclusive proof that second hand smoke kills, I've also heard this from other sources too. On the other hand I've heard plenty of people who are adamant that is does kill.

Can anyone clear this up for me, is there actually conclusive scientific proof that second hand smoke kills or not?

I know what you meant but re-read what you've posted Facepalm
I don't think they have conclusive proof but I may be wrong.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
29-04-2014, 05:45 PM
(29-04-2014 05:43 PM)aurora Wrote:  I know what you meant but re-read what you've posted Facepalm
I don't think they have conclusive proof but I may be wrong.

My bad. Blush

Thanks for pointing that out. Smile

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
29-04-2014, 05:46 PM
I heard of none. Doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere. This would be a question to put to our docs in the health section.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-04-2014, 06:10 PM
look here

and here is
the first link

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
29-04-2014, 06:26 PM
South Park has its moments, but for a show that likes to whine about how far up their own asses other people are, they sure plumb the depths of their own asses from time to time.

Inhaling carcinogenic toxins doesn't magically become safe if it's coming from two metres farther away.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
29-04-2014, 06:53 PM
All smoke is bad to inhale, tobacco smoke included.
arguing if it kills or doesn't kill detracts from the obvious fact that IT IS BAD for your health..

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
29-04-2014, 10:50 PM
(29-04-2014 06:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  South Park has its moments, but for a show that likes to whine about how far up their own asses other people are, they sure plumb the depths of their own asses from time to time.

Inhaling carcinogenic toxins doesn't magically become safe if it's coming from two metres farther away.

No, but it becomes a fuck of a lot more dilute. Drinking Beverage

Walking past a smoker on the sidewalk and getting a whiff of the smoke is not endangering your health in any meaningful or measurable way.

Living with people who smoke in the house and car will expose one to a fair amount of second-hand smoke and has been shown to have a statistically meaningful negative effect on health.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
30-04-2014, 01:15 AM
I think of Second hand smoke as referring to daily exposure until death ( of cancer). Or at least regular doses in an enclosed space like a car with the smoker.

Not just walking past a stranger once a month.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
30-04-2014, 06:31 AM
As one who has never smoked in his life, I was unfortunately raised among heavy smokers.

As a result, the air I breathed did affect my lungs to the point where I have mild emphysema.