Second hand smoke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2014, 06:53 AM
RE: Second hand smoke
I've have been in homes where someone has smoked heavily for years. If they aren't OCD about cleaning, the smoke leaves a yellow sticky residue on everything. Walls, windows, all the surfaces. If you move a picture on the wall you can see a square on the wall where the picture once was. Just knowing it coats everything in a house is enough for me to know that it is also being inhaled and coating the lungs of the others living in that condition.

[Image: Smokers-House-For-Sale-1.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
30-04-2014, 08:04 AM
(30-04-2014 06:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I've have been in homes where someone has smoked heavily for years. If they aren't OCD about cleaning, the smoke leaves a yellow sticky residue on everything. Walls, windows, all the surfaces. If you move a picture on the wall you can see a square on the wall where the picture once was. Just knowing it coats everything in a house is enough for me to know that it is also being inhaled and coating the lungs of the others living in that condition.

holy crap! What did that person smoke a day? 10 packs? I have smoked for 3 years in a small space and there is no residu on the wall

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
30-04-2014, 08:28 AM
(30-04-2014 08:04 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(30-04-2014 06:53 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I've have been in homes where someone has smoked heavily for years. If they aren't OCD about cleaning, the smoke leaves a yellow sticky residue on everything. Walls, windows, all the surfaces. If you move a picture on the wall you can see a square on the wall where the picture once was. Just knowing it coats everything in a house is enough for me to know that it is also being inhaled and coating the lungs of the others living in that condition.

holy crap! What did that person smoke a day? 10 packs? I have smoked for 3 years in a small space and there is no residu on the wall

Don't be so sure of that. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-04-2014, 08:31 AM
(30-04-2014 08:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-04-2014 08:04 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  holy crap! What did that person smoke a day? 10 packs? I have smoked for 3 years in a small space and there is no residu on the wall

Don't be so sure of that. Consider

find a spot you probably haven't dusted in quite a while. Does the dust stick to the surface and become slightly fuzzy when you run your finger along it? (rather than the dust just brushing off)

If you are the only smoker, and are a light smoker, there probably isn't much. But put 2 heavy adult smokers in a room, and it can look like the photo above in just a few years.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
30-04-2014, 01:51 PM
(29-04-2014 10:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-04-2014 06:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  South Park has its moments, but for a show that likes to whine about how far up their own asses other people are, they sure plumb the depths of their own asses from time to time.

Inhaling carcinogenic toxins doesn't magically become safe if it's coming from two metres farther away.

No, but it becomes a fuck of a lot more dilute. Drinking Beverage

Consider
Yes, we sometimes call that the "no shit" principle.

(29-04-2014 10:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Walking past a smoker on the sidewalk and getting a whiff of the smoke is not endangering your health in any meaningful or measurable way.

Yes. In much the same way getting a single x-ray is not endangering your health in any meaningful or measurable way.
(although, a cigarette is rarely of actual medical utility)

The magic of cumulative statistics, on the other hand...

(29-04-2014 10:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Living with people who smoke in the house and car will expose one to a fair amount of second-hand smoke and has been shown to have a statistically meaningful negative effect on health.

The reasons things like public regulations exist is to cover just those situations where exposure is regular and extended. Say, places frequented by the vulnerable or children. Or the likes of service staff.

... this is my signature!
30-04-2014, 02:39 PM
(30-04-2014 06:31 AM)Foxen Wrote:  As one who has never smoked in his life, I was unfortunately raised among heavy smokers.

As a result, the air I breathed did affect my lungs to the point where I have mild emphysema.

Have you been tested for alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency emphysema ?

I have no references for this, I had a friend who had it. Treatment may be altered, it is caused by a deficiency of a protein...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-05-2014, 08:11 PM
(29-04-2014 05:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I just watch the South Park episode "Butt Out" that repeatedly states there is no conclusive proof that second hand smoke kills, I've also heard this from other sources too. On the other hand I've heard plenty of people who are adamant that is does kill.

Can anyone clear this up for me, is there actually conclusive scientific proof that second hand smoke kills or not?

I'm not an expert in this but I'll give my 2 cents. I recall writing a paper in college around 1990 for an expository writing class on second-hand smoke because I'm a bowler and smoking was popular in bowling centers at the time. I was annoyed by breathing in all that smoke and reeking when I got home. The smoke coming off the end of the cigarette is unfiltered and many bowlers just left it sitting in the ash tray most of the time. At least when they took a puff, the filter trapped some of the bad stuff and so did their lungs. Anyway, my conclusion was that second-hand smoke does cause health problems in some cases. This might help: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercause...hand-smoke
03-05-2014, 09:57 PM
For me, the health problems of second-hand smoke are secondary to the nasty ass smell. I HATE getting a whiff of smoke and more than that, I hate smelling like smoke after I've been somewhere. Ugh. I swear, the smell sticks to my hair like the tar sticks to a smoker's lungs.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.