Second one of the year

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Second one of the year
My dad's friend Tim died last night of cancer. He was 61. He was practically a member of our family as he and my dad were friends for over 40 years and he was like an uncle to me. Albeit an uncle that loved Jim Beam and cigarettes. They found a mass on a lung about 6-8 months ago so he went through chemo and radiation and the mass disappeared and they thought he beat it. He then took a nasty turn about a month ago unexpectedly and they had no idea why for a week or two. No scans showed anything but he was hypercalcemic. The oncologist didn't say much about it but I feared that it had metastasized to his bones. Turns out I was right. I am sure the oncologist knew as well but he had no definitive evidence so I imagine that he kept that to himself as opposed to giving a terminal diagnosis with inconclusive tests. He told Tim last Saturday that he likely had a week or so. He lasted 4 days.

Tim was instrumental in me reconciling with my father over 10 years ago and I just realized that I never got to thank him for that. He was a hoot to hang with. A 60 year old who loved playing COD, could put the Jim Beam away, and had a great sense of humor. The worst part is my aunt. She and Tim got together after his wife died of lung cancer a few years ago and that was couple of years after my uncle died of cancer. Poor woman. She really loved him and he treated her like she deserved but they only got a few years together. The only good thing that you can say about this is that it was very quick and he didn't suffer. I am sure going to miss him.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2015, 08:03 AM
RE: Second one of the year
I'm sorry for your loss Sad

Hug

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes Worom's post
10-06-2015, 09:55 AM
So sorry to hear. My sincere condolences.
[+] 1 user Likes JakSiemasz's post
10-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Sorry for you loss.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Sorry for your loss.

*Big hug*
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
10-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Fucking cancer.

And yes, it sucks big time when people around you start taking the big exit. Unfortunately, the longer you live, the more often it happens.

And - fucking cancer. Sadcryface

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-06-2015, 07:32 PM
I am sorry for the loss.

I am glad that this man helped you to reconcile with your father.

Hugs.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Ugh. That sucks. My heart (i know it's just a beating muscle) sinks every time I read a story like that. I wish your family the best and my thoughts are with you. I friggen hate cancer.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
12-06-2015, 01:36 AM
I'm sorry to hear that happened. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Philanthropic Misanthrope's post
12-06-2015, 01:58 AM
Sorry man. Sad

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post