Secret atheist still involved in church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2015, 12:45 PM
RE: Secret atheist still involved in church
If you enjoy the music as much at it seems, there's no demerits for continuing. Many of us here enjoy "church music." I simply mentally substitute my own words or something as meaningful as "la la la blah blah" and concentrate on the musical portion. You can be there for the music and not for god.

I'd not open up until you're prepared to be shunned completely. Find another gig you can begin playing with during odd times. Foster more friendships with other non-churchy musical people. Prepare yourself to continue the music elsewhere before you throw away the church music.

BTW, you should hook up with our dear Banjo here on the forum. He's a drummer deluxe, too.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
27-12-2015, 04:29 PM
I'd just roll with it all spy in the house of love like. And I never came out as an atheist, I came out as an anti-dualist, "Gods be damned, Mom, this promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is utter and complete bullshit. It is untenable. Don't have nothing to do with God. Has everything to do with fear."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-12-2015, 05:30 PM
(27-12-2015 04:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'd just roll with it all spy in the house of love like. And I never came out as an atheist, I came out as an anti-dualist, "Gods be damned, Mom, this promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is utter and complete bullshit. It is untenable. Don't have nothing to do with God. Has everything to do with fear."

Sometimes you're super smart Girly. I like your little quote there. It pretty much says it all.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-12-2015, 02:26 PM
I totally get how hard it is to leave life-long friendships and traditions behind.

On the plus side...good drummers are ALWAYS in demand. Go find yourself a nice devil music band to play with. You'll have instant friends in the band and best yet, you can fuck the groupies without feeling guilty about it!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
28-12-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't necessarily see anything wrong with sticking around just for the musical experience if you enjoy playing the music and jamming with others. Though as a semi-pro musician myself I can tell you, for the amount of work you're putting into it you could CERTAINLY find other good musicians to play with and maybe even earn some money too!

Anyway, just because we're not believers doesn't mean there's nothing to be gained from the social aspect of going to a church or being part of a faith community. If you feel like you're living a "lie" or betraying people or you reach a point you just can't lead the double life anymore, quit. But if you're getting something useful to YOU out of it, stick with it. Nothing wrong with that.
28-12-2015, 05:11 PM
(27-12-2015 01:45 AM)Redleader Wrote:  This is my first time ever talking about this but here it goes. I have been a christian since i was 4 years old and now i'm in my early 20s and i just cant believe anymore. So pretty much to make a very long story short about my whole perspective of the universe turned around and change. Plus, i had a huge fear that any hint of doubt would cause me to burn in unimaginable pain forever, that i had to get over and overcome. I will skip the story of the exact reasons for my atheism (which i will gladly share at some point) to move on with my purpose of the post,so here it is.

I'm currently attending one of the biggest churches in my neck of the woods. my whole family is involved in someway, i a drummer, and my other family members are also musicians at the church, plus involved in some of the ministries for the youth. My family is more on the liberal side so it could be worse and i'm happy with that. Here is my problem, I really enjoy playing in the band and it's a lot of fun. Music is a huge passion in my life, and at this church i have opportunities to play with some amazing musicians who i learned so much from. I get experience using top of the line instruments and equipment too (good old tithe money). But enough of the the selfish reasons. The thing that kills me is, i'm up in front of say 3000 maybe more people a week playing songs designed to worship a god that i don't believe in. I also have became good friends with some of the band members, and other people at the church over the years. I would be sad to lose them as friends and not be able to play music with them anymore. I'm pretty sure if i came out as an atheist folks at the church would be shocked as i have been going there for 17 years. Last week i just had someone tell me how weird it would be if ever left the church because i have been there for so long and am there a lot. Just to give an idea, sometimes i'm there to play music: Wednesday nights for a bible study,Thursday for a band rehearsal, Friday for a youth group,Saturday for another rehearsal then a service Saturday night then im back at it 7:00 am for three more services Sunday. i do this about every other week. Although its fun it is a lot of time invested for something i don't believe in. i have no idea what would happen if i told people i lost my faith. i don't know about my family either, i wish i knew what their reaction would be. Anyways that's one of my current life predicaments that i have no one to talk to about it. I'm not necessarily looking for advice but if you have some i'm open. Or, maybe i would like to see if someone else is involved in a church and pretending to be a Christian. If so do you have an escape plan, or are you going to take you're secret atheism to the grave with you?

The Clergy Project
28-12-2015, 05:51 PM
If they pay you, ... stay. It's a gig. Better than none.
And BTW, Mother Teresa stayed in her gig, even after she lost her faith. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-12-2015, 11:17 AM
(28-12-2015 05:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  If they pay you, ... stay. It's a gig. Better than none.
And BTW, Mother Teresa stayed in her gig, even after she lost her faith. Thumbsup

I think he should start a Christian rock band.

#sigh
07-01-2016, 02:04 PM
I think you should look at it from a different perspective. If you were to play for a band that mostly sang about ancient Gods or any other topic that you may actually not believe in either, you'd not feel that bad. Be there for the music and the experience. You leaving church won't create more atheists or make people smarter. It wouldn't change much. Stay in church until you find something to replace it with. As long as it doesn't really affect your life that terribly, I don't see why you should leave. I still listen to some Christian music just for fun. Some of it is pleasant to the ears.
07-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Maybe you can try and make it your secret mission to impact the church negatively? So try everything you reasonably can to make sure Church membership goes down etc. Might be a fun perspective but maybe not that realistic.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau