Section "Science for life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2014 01:35 PM by therealJim.)
Section "Science for life"
Here is an idea for a Forum or Subforum that I would love to see and contribute to:

"Science for life" would be part of the forum where we can post findings that can help us to get better through and more out of life.

It is not a section for highly personalized advice - we already have "Personal Issues and Support" for that.

Rather the idea is to compile scientific research from all kinds of areas that we can use to improve our lives.
Examples include:

- Findings from Psychology on how to negotiate effectively and / or how to persuade.

- Research from Positive Psychology on how to become happier (I have taken some time to read up on this subject and would definitely post on it.)

- Lists of sources to educate oneself on the basics of all kind everyday issues, from housekeeping to financial planning, based on solid experience what works and what doesn't.

I know that last one is strictly speaking not science. But still if the content has been shown work, although probably not in double-blind, randomized controlled trials, I think it might be worth including it (I am thinking for example of the fine books by Cook's Illustrated).

To point here, I hope, is obvious. We are a group of people with a lot of diverse interests and a vast range of knowledge. Knowledge that is not only fascinating, but also knowledge has the potential to help us live the life we want.

Let's share this knowledge. So that we all benefit from our collected wisdom, in order to be a little bit smarter, happier and closer to the person we want to be. As individuals and as a crowd of curious yet skeptical human beings.

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zurücklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like therealJim's post
22-08-2014, 02:26 PM
RE: Section "Science for life"
... I dunno.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-08-2014, 03:05 PM
I think that stuff would comfortably fit in the Health and Psychology section. This forum has a tonne of sections already so we are working on keeping the list smaller for usability. At this stage instead of adding new sections we would be better served adding to the section labels.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 5 users Like DeepThought's post
22-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Jim, it's a great idea, I really would love to see more threads like that (the topics you mention are ones I find endlessly fascinating), but they probably will fit nicely in the section DT mentioned.

Are you going to post some soon? Can't wait to read them Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
23-08-2014, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2014 05:21 AM by therealJim.)
(22-08-2014 03:05 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  I think that stuff would comfortably fit in the Health and Psychology section. This forum has a tonne of sections already so we are working on keeping the list smaller for usability. At this stage instead of adding new sections we would be better served adding to the section labels.

Admittedly I thought that there would be a place for this already around, but wasn't quite sure were. So I decided to toss this into the ring. Any specific subsections you have in mind, DT?

"Newton's third law: The only way humans have ever figured out of getting somewhere is to leave something behind." - TARS, Interstellar
"Newtons drittes Gesetz: Der einzige Weg wie Menschen irgendwo hin kommen, ist der dass sie etwas zurücklassen." - TARS, Interstellar
23-08-2014, 05:00 AM
(23-08-2014 04:52 AM)therealJim Wrote:  Any specific sections you have in mind?

Fire.

But that's my suggestion for almost everything.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.