Secular Charities

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Secular Charities
Are there any?

They all seem to be religion based...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2012, 09:05 AM
RE: Secular Charities
Doctors without borders?

06-12-2012, 09:06 AM
There is also a charity that Seth (TTA editor) donated too and has talked about that gives clean water to those that need it in 3rd world countries. Anyone remember the name of that?

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
06-12-2012, 09:35 AM
UNICEF is not religious. I tend to use them, because sometimes it's difficult to be sure about who's actually behind it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
06-12-2012, 09:35 AM
http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Secular_charities

EDIT: I'm surprised to see Goodwill Industries on the list. I thought they were religious based. Go figure.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
06-12-2012, 09:41 AM
(06-12-2012 09:35 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Secular_charities

EDIT: I'm surprised to see Goodwill Industries on the list. I thought they were religious based. Go figure.

Way cool. I assume all the animal charities are secular too, other than St. Francis of Assisi I doubt anyone preaches to the pooches.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
(06-12-2012 09:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 09:35 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Secular_charities

Way cool. I assume all the animal charities are secular too, other than St. Francis of Assisi I doubt anyone preaches to the pooches.
Yeah, good call. The Humane Society and/or local pet shelters would be a good cause.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
28-01-2013, 08:07 AM
There are secular charities out there but many of their boards or staff are of a particular religious persuasion and this
may impact the running of the organisation. Working in the field, I can attest to how difficult it is to obtain
funding for a totally secular organisation in a world where so many donors want
to see Christianity (or Islam) reflected in the running of charity organisations.
Personally I run a charity with a board comprising 2 atheists, an agnostic, a
Muslim and 2 Christians in a town full of Christian missionaries in Africa and it is a real battle to keep secular values as a
priority, and even harder to get donations when there are so many religious
charities doing the same sort of work competing against us. Drinking Beverage
28-01-2013, 09:39 AM
(28-01-2013 08:07 AM)Incredulous Wrote:  There are secular charities out there but many of their boards or staff are of a particular religious persuasion and this
may impact the running of the organisation. Working in the field, I can attest to how difficult it is to obtain
funding for a totally secular organisation in a world where so many donors want
to see Christianity (or Islam) reflected in the running of charity organisations.
Personally I run a charity with a board comprising 2 atheists, an agnostic, a
Muslim and 2 Christians in a town full of Christian missionaries in Africa and it is a real battle to keep secular values as a
priority, and even harder to get donations when there are so many religious
charities doing the same sort of work competing against us. Drinking Beverage

How about doing something different? Look for a niche not being served by the religious charities.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2013, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2013 10:39 PM by Near.)
Charities and Aid Groups, Secular and Atheist:

Amnesty International
Medicines Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders
Donors Choose
Engineers Without Borders (Similar to MSF, but they help provide clean water, sanitation and electricity)
Foundation Beyond Belief
Goodwill
Kiva (There are other micro-loan websites, but I am only familiar with this one. I am a member of the main Atheist team there)
Oxfam
Nature Conservancy
Population Connection
Rotary
Seed Foundation
Union of Concerned Scientists
UNICEF
Wheelchair Foundation

Information from the Library. Link in my Sig. (Yes I know this thread is really old.)

Kiva itself may not be Atheist, but there are Atheist and FSM teams and such. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user