Secular Charity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 01:55 AM
Secular Charity
One of more prominent arguments I hear against a personal deity is the Starving Children argument basically stating why would a god answer a personal prayer in the Western World while there are starving children around the world? I did a Google search for secular charities and stumbled upon this page listing groups without religious affiliation. Most of the organizations listed are for social equality, and only a handful on there to help children. Do we have a responsibility as free thinkers to organize and combat religious charity work for children? Would you be more likely to sponsor a child in Africa if that organization had no religious affiliation? Personally, I think if we can get a secular organization together to counter Child Fund, and others, will help in creating a more positive view of the secular/atheist/free thinking communities. What are your thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2012, 02:03 AM
RE: Secular Charity
We may have a lower amount of charities that we will back as non-religious, but talk to some members who have experience with working for the large charity organizations. Very few charities actually go to what they work towards. My first statement would be that many atheists are following the logical conclusion of help those who would most impact your lives. Yes people in africa might have it worse but starving in your hometown is still starving in your hometown. If I was going to do anything with Africa I'd make the kick starbucks out of Africa foundation. An agressive group of ne'er do wells bent on removing corporations from places that can survive just fine without becoming their slaves. But that's just my opinion.

Charity really is a hard thing to work with though. Often enough paying for a charity ends up actually just being funding a political campaign. Many atheists are skeptics which make them very careful about who gets their money.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
12-02-2012, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012 01:02 AM by Mr Woof.)
I would suggest that many people who do not label themselves atheist/agnostic do not object to contributing to religious organizations that try to assist third world suffering.....an assistance by default so to speak.

While the grossest of gross entrepreneurial exploitation, here, and there, is very unsavoury we cannot say that capitalism is entirely devoid of worth by virtue of the fact, given some checks and balances, it can certainly provide constructive impetus.

With charity, religious or secular, there is always the danger, when it becomes well and truly corporatized, of such becoming simply another business, with rich C.E.Os exploiting patrons emotion and sense of kindness, yet achieving little real and substantive benefits.

The issues of excessive greed. corruption,playing politics, ignorance, fear, egoism and manipulation have historically muddeyed the waters.
22-05-2012, 03:17 PM
I just featured a Secular Humanist primary school running in Kasese Uganda on my blog:

http://mysecretatheistblog.blogspot.ca/2...aking.html

It looks like they could use a hand.
24-05-2012, 09:01 AM
This is something I been thinking about and personally I wouldn't mind donating to any organisation religion affiliated or not for as long as I have done some kind of research on how they run their operations and I am convinced that it's for the good.

Hobo Kgrrrrr kh kh kh
25-05-2012, 05:15 PM
(24-05-2012 09:01 AM)VrGin Wrote:  This is something I been thinking about and personally I wouldn't mind donating to any organisation religion affiliated or not for as long as I have done some kind of research on how they run their operations and I am convinced that it's for the good.
Well, there is something called the Humanist Trust in Uganda that is running schools there. This is Humanism... so not strictly just atheist - although the school itself is atheistic. The Kasese school I'm profiling for my blog isn't yet affiliated with them. I'm pretty certain there is next to no middle man with that - you're sending them what you want and they'll even put a picture up on their blog with them all opening the box -- can't get more direct than that.

I'm working on part II of the profile on the school -- hopefully will provide more options on how to help the school. I'm also looking for other secular charities as well to profile.