Secular Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2014, 04:42 PM
RE: Secular Morality
(13-05-2014 05:17 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 03:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It's important precisely because we'll be dead in five or six decades and will become worm food. It's the only life we have. Let's make it worthwhile.

worthwhile? do you know how naive and deluded you sound? nothing you or anyone else does ultimately means anything.

Now you're getting it. All meaning is local, artificial and temporary. And I am responsible for making it. I got one job, I am the meaning-maker. Feel free to call me God if you like. I know I do. Tongue

(13-05-2014 07:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  For this reason atheism is absurd.

You got it backwards. For this reason The Absurd compels atheism.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-05-2014, 08:39 PM
(13-05-2014 05:27 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  none of it ultimately matters blah blah blah...

And if that were true, none of it would ultimately matter if your xtard sadistic-fairy-monster-shaking-little-bugs-around-in-a-jar scenario were true, either.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
13-05-2014, 09:40 PM
I have no idea what ultimately matters or what is ultimately important. It doesn't concern me because my life is finite and because its finite, every moment that I experience matters to me.

I am that brief candle that no one may never see burning, but I will know.

I had a dream I was in a museum and I saw the most beautiful painting. I awoke and picked up my paints and brushes and copied from memory that painting in my dream. I wasn't the original artist. I was the forger.

What I do matters to me and my work may influence others. That influence may get passed along from person to person throughout all of time until there is no more time. It may even transcend this universe to another. Or it may die out with my own death, lost for all time.

Just because we eventually die doesn't mean that we shouldn't live.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
14-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Jez, our lives and actions do matter, we just have to recognise that our sphere of influence is not the entire universe. You and I are tiny little creatures living on a small planet at the bottom of a gravity well in a remote arm of one in a billion galaxies. Even if we somehow affected the lives of similarly tiny creatures on other planets, the universe would not give a monkey's, and it is incredibly egotistical to suppose otherwise.

Get over it, love your one and only life, have a positive effect on the people around you if you can.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 3 users Like daylightisabadthing's post
14-05-2014, 12:12 AM
(13-05-2014 04:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 05:17 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  worthwhile? do you know how naive and deluded you sound? nothing you or anyone else does ultimately means anything.

Now you're getting it. All meaning is local, artificial and temporary. And I am responsible for making it. I got one job, I am the meaning-maker. Feel free to call me God if you like. I know I do. Tongue

(13-05-2014 07:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  For this reason atheism is absurd.

You got it backwards. For this reason The Absurd compels atheism.

I get the distinct feeling that Girly would be a most excellent person to celebrate 420 with while listening to Dark Side of the Moon next to a lava lamp.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-05-2014, 12:13 PM
As I was saying in my post about the "Categorical Imperative" being, essentially, the Golden Rule, there is actually something very compelling about "Christianity". This religion is, according to my own interpretation, Essene Gnosticism, in which the core concept is that morality is a product of "reason". The philosophy which emerges is one which allows one to live in harmony with other people, one embraces one's enemies so that one no longer has any enemies and ultimately one should, if one practices it properly, lead a life of peace and contentment.

As we all know, the starting point in Zen Buddhism is anxiety and it is through mindful meditation that one finds a "path" to spiritual enlightenment. In Christianity the end goal for man is "atonement", which simply means feeling "at one". By following this religion, then, and being a "good" person, one enters into the "kingdom" of "heaven" in that one is presumably, liked and respected, loved even, by all and one can die contented that one has lead a good life, done a bit of good and one's good deeds, good character, one's "spirit" will live on in the memories of others.

Amen.Angel
14-05-2014, 12:32 PM
(14-05-2014 12:13 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  As I was saying in my post about the "Categorical Imperative" being, essentially, the Golden Rule, there is actually something very compelling about "Christianity".

...except that the xtards ripped off ethics of reciprocity -- the "Golden Rule" -- from the Buddha and others.

Quote:As we all know, the starting point in Zen Buddhism is anxiety and it is through mindful meditation that one finds a "path" to spiritual enlightenment.

Why do you specify Zen, which has nothing at all to do with the Buddha's teachings?

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
14-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Most people claiming to know about the Buddha teachings never read a single sutra from the nikayas. Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
14-05-2014, 01:02 PM
(14-05-2014 12:58 PM)Leo Wrote:  Most people claiming to know about the Buddha teachings never read a single sutra from the nikayas. Laugh out load

It's amazing how many people call themselves Buddhists who have never cracked open a copy of any of the Nikayas. Many haven't even heard of them and don't even know what they are.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
14-05-2014, 01:06 PM
(14-05-2014 01:02 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(14-05-2014 12:58 PM)Leo Wrote:  Most people claiming to know about the Buddha teachings never read a single sutra from the nikayas. Laugh out load

It's amazing how many people call themselves Buddhists who have never cracked open a copy of any of the Nikayas. Many haven't even heard of them and don't even know what they are.

In Theravada countries most people are ignorant about the nikayas sutras too. This isn't only a mahayana problem. In the USA most buddhist wannabes are very ignorant about the Pali sutras.
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post