Secular Self-Help books?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Secular Self-Help books?
Hello everyone. I went to the bookstore (they still exist, somehow) to find a self help/encouraging book. But unfortunately, all I could find were books written by Christians like Joel Osteen, or New Age woo by Deepak Chopra. I tried a google search but it just seems like a lot of rubbish to sort through so I figured I'd come here to ask what book recommendations you guys might have on the topic of "getting one's shit together"?

And for the record, I'm a 28 year old male from Georgia (US), obviously an atheist (used to be a Pentecostal Christian), was homeschooled all my life, and finally left Christianity and Theism all together around 2013. But here lately I've been jobless and feeling like I've lost control and purpose. I plan to change all that and take control of my life and give myself purpose again. I figure a good book might help me get my focus right and help start the process of conquering.

Thanks Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2015, 08:14 PM
RE: Secular Self-Help books?
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure many good suggestions are on the way.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
27-12-2015, 08:27 PM
(27-12-2015 07:45 PM)chadlad Wrote:  Hello everyone. I went to the bookstore (they still exist, somehow) to find a self help/encouraging book. But unfortunately, all I could find were books written by Christians like Joel Osteen, or New Age woo by Deepak Chopra. I tried a google search but it just seems like a lot of rubbish to sort through so I figured I'd come here to ask what book recommendations you guys might have on the topic of "getting one's shit together"?

And for the record, I'm a 28 year old male from Georgia (US), obviously an atheist (used to be a Pentecostal Christian), was homeschooled all my life, and finally left Christianity and Theism all together around 2013. But here lately I've been jobless and feeling like I've lost control and purpose. I plan to change all that and take control of my life and give myself purpose again. I figure a good book might help me get my focus right and help start the process of conquering.

Thanks Smile

You don't need a book. Nobody can tell you how to live. The fact there are no jobs isn't your fault. Corporations have been shipping your jobs overseas to pay little wages and virtually no tax.

You have your head screwed on. You are a realist. Look around for any job to save and perhaps move elsewhere. Somewhere with more choices.

Good luck.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Stark Raving. And thank you, Banjo - I do plan to move within a month from now actually (I'm excited and nervous at the same time).
27-12-2015, 11:09 PM
(27-12-2015 11:02 PM)chadlad Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome, Stark Raving. And thank you, Banjo - I do plan to move within a month from now actually (I'm excited and nervous at the same time).

Good on you. I learned as a youth that one often has to move for work. Same story when I became an adult.

The world's a big place.

Good luck to you. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
28-12-2015, 03:15 AM
Welcome.

I find the whole concept of "self help books" to be curious -- if not a bit of an oxymoron.

After all -- you're consulting someone else, how to do something for yourself.............

Shouldn't one just do that - and cut out the middleman???

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-12-2015, 07:38 AM
Hi Welcome Smile

I haven't read many self help books, so unfortunately I can't help you there. I do a lot of yoga and have incorporated some of the teachings from that into my life. Now that you are free from religion, maybe start by asking yourself what type of person you want to be? What type of life do you want to lead? What makes you happy? What do you need to do to achieve those goals? Then make a plan of attack.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-12-2015, 07:46 AM
(27-12-2015 11:02 PM)chadlad Wrote:  Thanks for the welcome, Stark Raving. And thank you, Banjo - I do plan to move within a month from now actually (I'm excited and nervous at the same time).

If you aren't above doing physical work there is construction booming in Florida once more time. May one has to go as far as Miami, but maybe not. That is the area I am familiar with. $20.00 an hour for new hire labor in some places.
I had thought as a youngster I wanted a desk job, but when I needed to feed my family I moved to Florida and found work hanging drywall and never sat in an office again. Though I did a multitude of different construction jobs over the decades. I am now retired for 8 years.
28-12-2015, 07:46 AM
(27-12-2015 07:45 PM)chadlad Wrote:  Hello everyone. I went to the bookstore (they still exist, somehow) to find a self help/encouraging book. But unfortunately, all I could find were books written by Christians like Joel Osteen, or New Age woo by Deepak Chopra. I tried a google search but it just seems like a lot of rubbish to sort through so I figured I'd come here to ask what book recommendations you guys might have on the topic of "getting one's shit together"?

Thanks Smile

I am no fan of motivational speaking, especially if it is just about ways to make money quickly. Tony Roberts for example, certainly has helped a few people movie up sure. But his real marketing is the fake brass ring using those few to see "you can do it too".

Nope, in reality, no matter what you are chasing, no matter your goal, most people if lucky end up in jobs with co workers they like and manage to pay their bills and make a savings.

It is not impossible to get to the top, otherwise there would be no famous people or rich people. But that is the minority, not the majority.

So my "self help" to you is don't bother wasting your money on a book that will only make someone else rich. If you want to make the attempt, that is fine. Look at your own goals, then get an education from a college, and or the experts who have degrees. Outside that, know that it is also ok simply to end up in the middle and stable.

Just be realistic.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Just be realistic is a great line.

Mate, do what you want. Follow your bliss and fuck everyone else. You get one life. Then you're dead. So make the most of it.

Good luck again. Smile

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post