Secular Self-Help books?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 10:33 AM
RE: Secular Self-Help books?
Not sure if this would be appropriate for the OP, and I may be totally in left field, but the only self-help book that has ever "stuck" with me is "The life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo. (Ten Speed Press, Berkeley, http://www.crownpublishing.com)
Although it seems to be about decluttering and organizing your home, it's actually about your relationship to the objects that surround you and about simplifying your life. Even though it has a definitely Shinto way of looking at inanimate objects as having a "soul", I found her tips very useful and even just as a fascinating insight into Japanese culture, it was worth the price.
Got my copy at Costco for around $15

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2015, 10:37 AM
You should all buy my famous self-help book :

"I'm OK, You're Not So Hot".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
28-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Damn, how could I forget this one!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

Here's a couple quotes.

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

“You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge.”

Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
28-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Part of the problem with self help books regarding success is that most successful people have misinterpreted the reasons for their success, and end up just regurgitating a bunch of stuff that makes it sound more noble than it really is.

There are a couple useful ones out there, though. Here are a couple I'd recommend. And yeah, the Carnegie books have some cheesy sounding generic titles, but don't let that turn you off. None of these are composed of standard new age feel good bullshit. Chin-Ning Chu especially does go into God talk from time to time, but the other 95% of the book is applicable to the non-religious.
• "Thick Face Black Heart" by Chin-Ning Chu
• "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
• "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
28-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Fuck Feelings by Michael and Sarah Bennett.

Practical advice, and very little bullshit or woo.
28-12-2015, 07:16 PM
I've enjoyed some self help books but they're borderline self help. They're categorized it but they weren't the ra ra you can do this style. They were simply memoirs. Books by Augustin Boroughs? OR Some Others Like That Fit With that concept

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-12-2015, 07:47 PM
(28-12-2015 10:47 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Damn, how could I forget this one!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

Here's a couple quotes.

“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

“You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge.”

Thumbsup

I found his other book also informative. Lola or Lila or something close, but look it up under his name. He goes so far as to describe a religion of one.
28-12-2015, 07:49 PM
(28-12-2015 10:55 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Part of the problem with self help books regarding success is that most successful people have misinterpreted the reasons for their success, and end up just regurgitating a bunch of stuff that makes it sound more noble than it really is.

There are a couple useful ones out there, though. Here are a couple I'd recommend. And yeah, the Carnegie books have some cheesy sounding generic titles, but don't let that turn you off. None of these are composed of standard new age feel good bullshit. Chin-Ning Chu especially does go into God talk from time to time, but the other 95% of the book is applicable to the non-religious.
• "Thick Face Black Heart" by Chin-Ning Chu
• "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
• "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie

Harry Browne's How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World is another that I never stop recommending.
28-12-2015, 08:38 PM
I love the sound to "Fuck Feelings" the title made me chuckle and after reading the description on Amazon, I think I might go with it. Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I'll look into Thick Face Black Heart and How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World as well.