Secularism Is Not Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Secularism Is Not Atheism
"Let's start with some brief definitions. Atheism, put simply, is a term that covers a wide variety of schools of thought that ponder and/or posit the non-existence of God/s. Among scholars there is a fascinating debate about when precisely atheism arose. One compelling theory (see writers like Alan Kors and Michael Buckley) is that nonbelief as a coherent worldview developed within Christian theological speculation in early modernity.

Secularism, on the other hand, has nothing to do with metaphysics. It does not ask whether there is a divine realm. It is agnostic, if you will, on the question of God's existence -- a question that is way above its pay grade.

What secularism does concern itself with are relations between Church and State. It is a flexible doctrine that can embody a lot of policy positions. Strict separationism is one, but not the only, of those positions. At its core, secularism is deeply suspicious of any entanglement between government and religion. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacques-be...99588.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
28-07-2012, 03:43 PM
RE: Secularism Is Not Atheism
They may not be the same thing, but they certainly aren't incompatible.

I agree, though, all the same. There is always secularism within atheism (if you don't believe in gods, then there's no reason to include them in the conversation), but there isn't always atheism within secularism.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
29-07-2012, 08:12 AM
The author is wrong. Atheism doesn't posit or ponder the non-existence of God, it simply lacks a belief in God.

Secularism is not Agnostic. It only deals with separating church and state. It makes no comment whatsoever on the nature of God, not even, "I don't know."

Theists, Atheists and Agnostics alike can support secularism.

Conversely, there is nothing beyond stereotype impelling Atheists to support secularism.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 2 users Like Ghost's post
29-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Secularism is the act of keeping government out of your religion, and everyone else's, and non-religion.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
30-07-2012, 06:54 AM
(29-07-2012 05:42 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Secularism is the act of keeping government out of your religion, and everyone else's, and non-religion.

Or keeping religion out of government.

Secularism is a deceleration that only religious moderates are welcome in society. That government is above religion - that governments laws supersedes the "laws" within their religion.

So yes, secularism does take the stance that the religious extremists "god" does not exist.
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
30-07-2012, 06:59 AM
(30-07-2012 06:54 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(29-07-2012 05:42 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Secularism is the act of keeping government out of your religion, and everyone else's, and non-religion.

Or keeping religion out of government.

Secularism is a deceleration that only religious moderates are welcome in society. That government is above religion - that governments laws supersedes the "laws" within their religion.

So yes, secularism does take the stance that the religious extremists "god" does not exist.
I'd rather say that secularism has the stance that laws made by spiritual beings that apply only to their followers are irrelevant when the goal is to make laws that apply to everyone, regardless of the religion they belong to.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
30-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Secular societies keep religion (and atheism) separate from government. That is to say they take care to firewall the role of belief and nonbelief in society from the function of government so that each can play its role without interference from the other.
The firewall takes some maintenance, because both government and belief tend to test the boundary. The definition of the boundary needs constant revision. In the end the biggest argument against secular society is the question of whether the firewall can be adequately defined and maintained.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
30-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Just a buncha flap trap to separate one's group from the undesirables. Angel

Seems to me one would be secularist if one were atheist, agnostic, and/or sane. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-07-2012, 08:08 AM
And the census is complete.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
30-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please.

Do you realise that you are engaging in secular reasoning?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post