Secularism and Political Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2016, 02:51 PM
RE: Secularism and Political Philosophy
(16-11-2016 02:18 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  @Belinda

I wonder how atheist could not be leftist. Right for me at least is synonymous with enforcing religious taboos, nationalism and laughable grasp of economy, though only first characteristic don't mesh with atheism.

The first characteristic is a biggie for me. In America, the right wing is in bed with fundamentalist Christianity, and that is some scary shit. They are also in bed with extractive industries who will gladly rape the environment as long as they can make a lot of money in the process. That is also some scary shit. And they use fear to sell their shit to people who have no chance of seeing any benefit from right wing policies. I don't see how any rational person (never mind atheist) can support them. The only people who will see any benefit are rich people, and even that is short term at best. In 100 years, the toxic environment that they are creating will be killing them along with the rest of us. Economics isn't everything (not that they're any good at that either). A planet that can sustain human life is much more important.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Grasshopper's post
16-11-2016, 03:11 PM
@Grasshopper

Right in Poland isn't much different, maybe less concerned about environment issues but more about nationalism, pride, prejudice and fear, not to mention orally pleasing the clergy.

Here also right is voted on by people who should vote on left. Part of it is left fault - standing aside during transformation and sucking up to clergy as kind of "atonement" for former regime alienated left support base and didn't gained it right wing voters.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-11-2016, 03:30 PM
There is a major schism in the atheist community, because atheists have failed to organize reason. Most atheists mistakenly believe that the 1787 Constitution of the United States adequately organizes reasonable debate, and that the political system is corrupted by Christians, because they are Christians. If atheists were able to free themselves from the dogma of belief in the Constitution then they would see that corruption is the result of an inadequate separation of powers. It should be obvious that the Department of Justice needs to be a separate entity from the President's supervision.

Atheists are smart enough to recognize that there is no god, but they are not smart enough to recognize that the writers of the 1787 constitution would write a very different constitution with today's technology and sophistication level of the people compared to 1787.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
[+] 1 user Likes TrainWreck's post
16-11-2016, 03:38 PM
It's all fun and games until you summon Trainwreck from the bushes... Rolleyes

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-11-2016, 05:11 PM
(24-06-2016 04:23 PM)Belinda Wrote:  Why on earth do so many atheists align themselves with the left?

Perhaps it's the way that the GOP shamelessly panders to the evangelicals in their "Big Tent".

Maybe it's the way our critical faculties detect the wiff of exactly what is trickling down the trickle-down economics.

On the other hand, it could be that we object to their attempts to regress to a make-believe 1950's era society.

I can think of a host of reasons that I disagree with the GOP on and precious few where I align with them.

Perhaps you should start by telling me why you do.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
16-11-2016, 06:05 PM
(16-11-2016 03:30 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  There is a major schism in the atheist community, because atheists have failed to organize reason. Most atheists mistakenly believe that the 1787 Constitution of the United States adequately organizes reasonable debate, and that the political system is corrupted by Christians, because they are Christians. If atheists were able to free themselves from the dogma of belief in the Constitution then they would see that corruption is the result of an inadequate separation of powers. It should be obvious that the Department of Justice needs to be a separate entity from the President's supervision.

Atheists are smart enough to recognize that there is no god, but they are not smart enough to recognize that the writers of the 1787 constitution would write a very different constitution with today's technology and sophistication level of the people compared to 1787.

Most atheists aren't Americans and highly likely don't care not disagree with the limits of some centuries old American founding writers.

For all you love of seeing organization failures, you still don't organize your thoughts outside your repeated scrunched scope.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-11-2016, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2016 06:44 PM by Peterkin.)
(24-06-2016 04:23 PM)Belinda Wrote:  Just a quick thought.
Is it? Maybe contemplating it a while longer would help clarify the matter.

Quote:I am new to the secular movement,
It's a movement? Where is my hat? My placards and pot of glue?
What prompted you to join, and why did you wait so long?

Quote: but my political views -- for many different reasons -- are decidedly on the right.
Name the top three of those many reasons.

Quote: I've noticed that most of the prominent people (I am not sure about the "rank and file" yet) in the movement are radical leftists.
Who are these prominent people? I'd like to make my own assessment of whether they fit my own concept of "radical" and "leftist."

Quote: Why on earth do so many atheists align themselves with the left?
I'd hazard, because they not only are on earth, but also believe that on earth is all they, and we, will ever be. Such a conviction would prompt a thinking sort of person to strive toward better earthly conditions for more of the planet's denizens, rather than toward perfect conditions on the next plane of existence for a chosen minority.... Especially if it were the same chosen minority that already enjoys superior conditions on this mundane plane.

Quote: Having an advanced degree in economics from the University of Virginia,
This is the second post I've read from you. This is the second time I've read about this degree. If I read more of your posts, will I have to re-read this claim each time? Reason I ask is: each reiteration causes me to increase my suspicion of its verity.

Quote: that subject ALONE should swing secularists to the right.
For any PARTICULAR reason?

Quote:Of course there is the supremely notable exception of Ayn Rand and her philosophy of Objectivism,
Supremely.
Yes, she's been dulynoted.

Quote:I am merely curious.
This is only about 23% less probable than the other claim.

Quote: Please try not to get too upset with me.
GaspHoboSadcryface2WeepingNo:Rainbow Vomit

Smile ?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 5 users Like Peterkin's post
16-11-2016, 06:47 PM
(24-06-2016 04:23 PM)Belinda Wrote:  Having an advanced degree in economics from the University of Virginia...

BowingBowingBowing

For those of you who weren't aware, University of Virginia is like Harvard... except for the academic excellence or the prestige.

Think of it like being a decent school to go to if you couldn't get into a better school, or if you're not from a very wealthy family. It's okay, but you could do so much better.
[+] 6 users Like Aliza's post
16-11-2016, 06:55 PM
The college I graduated from is usually in the top 5 in the country.

Just looked...

Yup.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-11-2016, 07:39 PM
(16-11-2016 06:47 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 04:23 PM)Belinda Wrote:  Having an advanced degree in economics from the University of Virginia...

BowingBowingBowing

For those of you who weren't aware, University of Virginia is like Harvard... except for the academic excellence or the prestige.

Think of it like being a decent school to go to if you couldn't get into a better school, or if you're not from a very wealthy family. It's okay, but you could do so much better.

I went to Maryland. Weeping Oh but then I went to JHU. Maryland was better. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post