Secularism and Political Philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2016, 07:43 PM
RE: Secularism and Political Philosophy
(16-11-2016 07:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 06:47 PM)Aliza Wrote:  BowingBowingBowing

For those of you who weren't aware, University of Virginia is like Harvard... except for the academic excellence or the prestige.

Think of it like being a decent school to go to if you couldn't get into a better school, or if you're not from a very wealthy family. It's okay, but you could do so much better.

I went to Maryland. Weeping Oh but then I went to JHU. Maryland was better. Drinking Beverage

Any school is good if you don't brag like an idiot about it. Smile

I'd rather have a sharp University of Phoenix graduate working with me than an arrogant, know-it-all from a more traditional educational background.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
16-11-2016, 11:05 PM
(16-11-2016 07:43 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 07:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I went to Maryland. Weeping Oh but then I went to JHU. Maryland was better. Drinking Beverage

Any school is good if you don't brag like an idiot about it. Smile

I'd rather have a sharp University of Phoenix graduate working with me than an arrogant, know-it-all from a more traditional educational background.

It's still the appeal to authority. "I have a Ph.D, therefore believe me...I'm smarter than you."

Years ago ken Ham told the audience during his famous debate with Bill Nye the inventor of the MRI is a young earth creationist. That's all my religious friends remember. One said to me, how could he be wrong about creation -- he invented the MRI.

Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-11-2016, 05:20 AM
(16-11-2016 06:47 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-06-2016 04:23 PM)Belinda Wrote:  Having an advanced degree in economics from the University of Virginia...

BowingBowingBowing

For those of you who weren't aware, University of Virginia is like Harvard... except for the academic excellence or the prestige.

Think of it like being a decent school to go to if you couldn't get into a better school, or if you're not from a very wealthy family. It's okay, but you could do so much better.

Man, you're such a brat. Whatever happened to Nice Aliza? These heathens.... Hobo

I went to Pima Community where I failed to get a degree in anything (other than selling crack); I'm ginormously edjumicated!

...and Peterkin, where da fuq did he come from? Shocking

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Economics is only one reason to support a political party. Also, many of the policy recommendations based on economics are flawed because economists don't make accurate assumptions about information quality, the human decision-making process, and collusion. However, in my lifetime (since the 1960s), deficits have expanded more rapidly under Republican administrations than Democratic administrations. My conclusion is that economic policy is going to be flawed and ineffective on both sides.

Therefore, I choose whom to support based on social policies and what legislators do when in office. And what have GOP lawmakers done, when they are in office? Tried to get creationism taught in public schools. Worked to limit women's reproductive and health choices. Worked to shore up a for-profit prison system. Legalized discrimination based on religion--now that guy is the Vice President-elect. Deregulated and privatized industries that were regulated in the first place because of profiteering, poisoning, and polluting. No cascade of jobs and opportunities, just rich getting richer and fewer opportunities for women and minorities.

It's not a difficult choice for me between Democrats and Republicans. I'd like something better than Democrats, but Libertarians and Greens aren't for me...no one has convinced me that Libertarianism can work at anything larger than the village level.

I'm left-leaning on social policies because the right has defined support of human rights issues like same-sex marriage, reproductive rights, and affordable healthcare to be left-leaning and somehow anti-American.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
17-11-2016, 08:22 AM
(17-11-2016 05:20 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 06:47 PM)Aliza Wrote:  BowingBowingBowing

Man, you're such a brat. Whatever happened to Nice Aliza? These heathens.... Hobo

I went to Pima Community where I failed to get a degree in anything (other than selling crack); I'm ginormously edjumicated!

...and Peterkin, where da fuq did he come from? Shocking

I'm working through some issues. Really, I think I've made tremendous progress overall... there's just a few loose ends to tie up still.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
17-11-2016, 08:48 AM
(17-11-2016 05:20 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...and Peterkin, where da fuq did he come from? Shocking

Been on sabbatical in the deep woods. Don't worry, I'll be going back soon, to pursue my mail-order degree from Greenpeace.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
17-11-2016, 08:56 AM
(17-11-2016 08:48 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(17-11-2016 05:20 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...and Peterkin, where da fuq did he come from? Shocking

Been on sabbatical in the deep woods. Don't worry, I'll be going back soon, to pursue my mail-order degree from Greenpeace.

Gasp

I've made that face too often today. Probably should take a nap. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-11-2016, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2016 09:38 AM by Mr. Boston.)
In the US anyway the Right, as embodied by the Republican Party, have been courting the hyper-religious for decades. So I think for many rejecting theism isn't very far removed from rejecting the political ideology that aligns with religious people. Our Conservatives are very focused on somewhat out-of-date notions about gender roles, family structures, and crime and punishment, drug addiction, etc. which have their under-pinning more in "tradition" which is supported by religion much more so than common sense or rationality. It's not a 1 to 1 correlation but if you want to get away from the religious it's pretty difficult to have much involvement in the Republican Party. Embracing a lifestyle and philosophy that rejects faith, dogma, and the supernatural and relies instead on inquiry, research, and facts makes it harder to align with a political philosophy that depends somewhat on a judeo-christian ethical backbone. I'm not saying you MUST be religious to oppose stem cell research or to deny climate change, but I haven't met a lot of atheists who do. I'm also certainly NOT saying that all the positions of the Left are founded in reality either! The anti-vaxxer movement makes zero rational sense. But I do think generally that the Left, at least in the US, are more likely to consider science when shaping their policies.

Personally a lot of the Right-leaning people I know are atheist, but they're not in it for the social issues like being anti-abortion or anti-LGBTQ; it's mainly about the 2nd Amendment, states' rights, and economic issues for most of the Right-leaning people I know, atheist or otherwise.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post