Securing a laptop against theft

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Securing a laptop against theft
i am looking for ways to make my laptop useless to anyone who steals it. I thought about encrypting valuable files and then installing some kind of keylogger , and using no login password so that the thief can use the laptop but i get all of his info ( like facebook , skype , and other accounts and passwords ) so that i can mess with him / her.

my other idea is to encrypt the whole drive with truecrypt and put a password on the bios so that he cant really use the computer ( unless he like opens the laptop, removes the battery from the motherboard to disable the bios password ).

does anyone have any other good ideas ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 05:23 AM
RE: Securing a laptop against theft
Sure.

Move to Singapore.

We have no crime.

:true story:

09-09-2013, 05:34 AM
or how about this, installing some kind of ignition system in the laptop which ignites a bag of thermite if a certain key is not pressed when starting the computer Big Grin (jk )
[+] 1 user Likes H2O2's post
09-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Hmmm...buy a laptop that requires fingerprint regonition?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
09-09-2013, 06:06 AM
How about puting a trojan inside,and put a program that will corrupt the boot sector of the c drive? And put a code to acces the bios. So when some1 steals it,and connects it to the internet,you can use the trojan to use the program to corrupt the boot sector,so the next time he starts it,it wont boot. And he also cant boot from usb,dvd,cd,ect because of the bios

09-09-2013, 06:13 AM
Since i have no idea if there is an actual tool to purpusefully corrupt the record,you could make a script that would delete all partitions(and hide it deep inside your pc). Then if its stolen,you simply use the trojan to run the script

my thoughts are theoretical,dont even know if its possible

09-09-2013, 08:26 AM
(09-09-2013 06:13 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Since i have no idea if there is an actual tool to purpusefully corrupt the record,you could make a script that would delete all partitions(and hide it deep inside your pc). Then if its stolen,you simply use the trojan to run the script

my thoughts are theoretical,dont even know if its possible

well i encrypted my entire drive with truecrypt, so in order to boot he needs a password. Bios has also got a password, but if he opens the laptop and removes the battery from the motherboard the bios password will no longer work. then he can just format the harddrive and use the laptop :/
09-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Yeah, no...

You see, no matter what you do, your laptop will always worth exactly the same. All you can do is protect your personal data, but the hardware itself is always re-usable. No matter what you do to your hard disk, one format will erase everything and it will be brand new, factory-clean after formating.

You can lock your BIOS as well, but every manufacturer has a way of reseting the BIOS password, so that won't help you either. A bit of googleing and it is password free.

There is no way of making it unusable.

There are only ways of scrambling your personal data with encryptions and shit.

Worst case scenario, your laptop can be sold as spare parts. Nothing is ever wasted.

We also have this thread for questions of this sort...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...y-by-Filox

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-09-2013, 08:53 AM
I know! Put a gps tracker inside?

[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
09-09-2013, 08:56 AM
(09-09-2013 08:53 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  I know! Put a gps tracker inside?

great idea Smile , the problem being that the smallest tracker i could find is still way to big to fit in a laptop :/ .