Seeing the Dark

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Seeing the Dark
Greetings all.

I found this site after reading Deconverted on my Kindle. I'm also on the Atheist Nexus forum.

To make a long story as short as possible, I was a Jehovah's Witness during my childhood (blame my parents for that: no self-respecting kid would ever choose to be part of such a joyless religion). Later in life, I became associated with a little-known outfit called The Way International, a born-again Christian sect that rejected the Trinity and exalted speaking in tongues and Paul's epistles. It was a cult, but it was a fun cult. At least, it was while I was there.

Fast forward, after years of recognizing and apologizing for Bible contradictions and obvious myths (Job, Adam and Eve, Noah's flood), I finally came to the realization last year that I no longer believed in the historic Jesus. As such, I had no Christianity left, and I came to terms with that. I Saw the Dark, and it was good.

I'm not "out." Working toward it.

Thanks for having this site. Looking forward to participating.

TCS

(or, as I prefer, Survivor).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
13-03-2013, 07:57 AM
RE: Seeing the Dark
Welcome!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
13-03-2013, 08:03 AM
(13-03-2013 07:34 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I Saw the Dark, and it was good.

Welcome.

I prefer to think of it as seeing the light.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant,” U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
13-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Yes, Full Circle, but I think you know what I meant. Wink
13-03-2013, 08:21 AM
(13-03-2013 08:11 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Yes, Full Circle, but I think you know what I meant. Wink
I do. Cool

So why was TWI fun?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
13-03-2013, 08:30 AM
TWI was a split-personality kind of cult. In many ways, they were non-legalistic. They believed in salvation by grace and grace alone, and in the inability to lose salvation. As such, no sins could make a believer lose salvation, period. Naturally, sin was rampant. A little too rampant. But no guilt trips if you had sex before you got married. Plus, they spent a lot of time mocking mainstream Christianity, especially the Trinity. Good practice for the leap to atheism, ultimately.

But in a lot of ways, they became a very legalistic organization as well. Tons of rules and regulations about trivial things. Abortion was fine. Mortgages were not, because God doesn't want us in debt. Seriously.
13-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Mortgages are "not fine" because while the followers live in apartments with no fiscal responsibility for their own future, it's easy to get donations from them, but take the same follower and give them a mortgage and responsibility to pay it, but no increase in their income, and they get much more tight-fisted with their spending (donating).

But a church cant say that so they just say that God doesn't want you to be in debt.

It's just a church ploy to keep the donations flowing, to manipulate and dominate their followers.

Welcome to the forums, I promise, we won't trick you into giving us your money. Much.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
13-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Welcome to our little corner of the Internet!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks, KC.

And may I express my admiration (?) toward you for managing to hold on to your faith while moderating a site like this one!

(That is, assuming you have not changed your mind since writing on the few threads I have perused.
13-03-2013, 09:47 AM
(13-03-2013 07:34 AM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Greetings all.

I found this site after reading Deconverted on my Kindle. I'm also on the Atheist Nexus forum.

To make a long story as short as possible, I was a Jehovah's Witness during my childhood (blame my parents for that: no self-respecting kid would ever choose to be part of such a joyless religion). Later in life, I became associated with a little-known outfit called The Way International, a born-again Christian sect that rejected the Trinity and exalted speaking in tongues and Paul's epistles. It was a cult, but it was a fun cult. At least, it was while I was there.

Fast forward, after years of recognizing and apologizing for Bible contradictions and obvious myths (Job, Adam and Eve, Noah's flood), I finally came to the realization last year that I no longer believed in the historic Jesus. As such, I had no Christianity left, and I came to terms with that. I Saw the Dark, and it was good.

I'm not "out." Working toward it.

Thanks for having this site. Looking forward to participating.

TCS

(or, as I prefer, Survivor).
Nice to meet you. Is your AN username the same as yours here?

Just an outsider looking inn.