Seeking Advice for A Crazy World

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Big Grin Seeking Advice for A Crazy World
Hello everyone.

I will keep this simple.

I am a freshman stuck in a Christian college. I am not really sure on how to deal with these people, and their thoughts. It's already been a struggle dealing with a class that is "to shape your mind into a Christians". I am open to any advice or words of wisdom. I come here a lot because I don't feel alone, and enjoy actual intelligent conversation that doesn't revolve around faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 01:35 PM
RE: Seeking Advice for A Crazy World
Tough break. Best is to find some friends who share your outlook. I know from experience that being the token atheist is... sometimes not much fun. Is this college... why are you there? Can you study stuff other than the Bible? Can you study maths/science? 'Cos that's where the less crazy will congregate...

Otherwise... seek friends outside the college. Sports teams. Running clubs... And find a way to not be stuck there is best advice. 'Cos it's *your life* in the end. At least have the satisfaction of choosing how to fuck it up yourself Smile

Welcome to TTA by the way Smile
09-09-2012, 01:45 PM
(09-09-2012 01:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  Tough break. Best is to find some friends who share your outlook. I know from experience that being the token atheist is... sometimes not much fun. Is this college... why are you there? Can you study stuff other than the Bible? Can you study maths/science? 'Cos that's where the less crazy will congregate...

Otherwise... seek friends outside the college. Sports teams. Running clubs... And find a way to not be stuck there is best advice. 'Cos it's *your life* in the end. At least have the satisfaction of choosing how to fuck it up yourself Smile

Welcome to TTA by the way Smile

Thanks I'm hoping to make a lot of friends here Smile

I have been trying to, but so far everyone here is one domination or another of Christianity. I am not, and that bothers people. Due to the fact it's a christian college it really doesn't focus on the maths or sciences. I would love to find ways to get out and about, but I have no car. Even worse the buses don't run on Sunday. The only friend I have here is my boyfriend, he's kinda the whole reason I'm even here.
09-09-2012, 01:54 PM
(09-09-2012 01:45 PM)traceparcet Wrote:  The only friend I have here is my boyfriend, he's kinda the whole reason I'm even here.

I see unhappiness in your future Sad

He's probably not worth it, just bear that in mind. Don't give your all to the relationship unless he puts in an equal share - otherwise *it will fail for certain*. I give you this advice as the uncrowned king of failed relationships. Weeping
09-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Apologies if that was harsh... Sadcryface
09-09-2012, 02:13 PM
(09-09-2012 01:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  Apologies if that was harsh... Sadcryface

No no it's fine I understand. My boyfriend actually takes time and makes an effort to see me every week. He has been very supportive of me and everything that I do. I think he would of liked to see me end up somewhere besides this place though. He's agnostic so he doesn't quite get the university I'm at either.
09-09-2012, 02:17 PM
(09-09-2012 02:13 PM)traceparcet Wrote:  
(09-09-2012 01:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  Apologies if that was harsh... Sadcryface

No no it's fine I understand. My boyfriend actually takes time and makes an effort to see me every week. He has been very supportive of me and everything that I do. I think he would of liked to see me end up somewhere besides this place though. He's agnostic so he doesn't quite get the university I'm at either.

OK sorry I assumed from OP & follow up that he was Christian going to your college and you followed him... seems more complex? How'd you end up there then?

PS I go bed now so I hand the baton to whatever other wiseass comes after me to say soothing things to the hot chick and continue this convo Hobo
09-09-2012, 02:21 PM
(09-09-2012 02:17 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-09-2012 02:13 PM)traceparcet Wrote:  No no it's fine I understand. My boyfriend actually takes time and makes an effort to see me every week. He has been very supportive of me and everything that I do. I think he would of liked to see me end up somewhere besides this place though. He's agnostic so he doesn't quite get the university I'm at either.

OK sorry I assumed from OP & follow up that he was Christian going to your college and you followed him... seems more complex? How'd you end up there then?

PS I go bed now so I hand the baton to whatever other wiseass comes after me to say soothing things to the hot chick and continue this convo Hobo

He just lives in the area, which is nice actually.

I hope it's a good night
09-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Well do not let them force their beliefs upon you.

If you are asked about your beliefs, remember that they are yours, you were not told to believe them. (belief as in what you think). So just say what you think on the issue and be done with it. If it shocks them who cares. I believed in a race of aliens that humanity percieved as gods for the longest time. ooops derailed myself.

ok so ignore the dafties. Get through schooling and looking into cross school programming to see if your courses can be transferred to another.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
09-09-2012, 10:21 PM
(09-09-2012 03:16 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Well do not let them force their beliefs upon you.

If you are asked about your beliefs, remember that they are yours, you were not told to believe them. (belief as in what you think). So just say what you think on the issue and be done with it. If it shocks them who cares. I believed in a race of aliens that humanity percieved as gods for the longest time. ooops derailed myself.

ok so ignore the dafties. Get through schooling and looking into cross school programming to see if your courses can be transferred to another.

Thank you, I am thinking of transferring if able to a different school, but am going to try and get through the other classes first. It's hard for me to focus when I can't even figure out why they believe in what they believe in, or how they beat it into peoples heads. Bangin