Seeking Some Advice - Religion In the Home

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 10:05 AM
RE: Seeking Some Advice - Religion In the Home
Hey well just know you're not alone because this year my Senior year I was in a dilemma like this. In the back of my mind I was starting to question God but I kept trying to open my mind to Christian morals by attending youth group. It wasn't untill at least 3 or 4 times that I walked out of youth group unsatisified I finally took it as a sign I'm better off without religion.
I was dating a guy who was a Christian and didn't want to break up with him for being an Atheist but after I did it I actaully felt more relief than hurt once I did it. It really was not untill I came out to a guy friend of mine who I knew was an Atheist from a club at school that I found the strength to do so.
My guy friend made the comment"Don't break up with someone for being religous. Question him with Scientific facts you're a smart girl!"
I thought that was such a sweet way of saying I shouldn't feel bad about breaking up with someone over religous differences. I'm pretty sure now the guy from this club has a crush on me even though he swears he doesn't. I also have a crush on him now too, but I'm not pushing for him to reveal his feelings.
His comment helped me move on quick, but my boyfriend did not want to move on.
I told him I was an Atheist and he said he accepted my beliefs, but then he kept sending me messages. He would not take no as no so eventually I had to unfriend him, and block his messages on facebook and he eventually gave up.

I can see where you're going with seeing that you and your wife trust each other but there are religous differences. Here's another way to look at the situation.
I used to be a Wiccan and I think after being one possibly a Wiccan and an Atheist could date. Wicca believes there is no right way to go. Whatever belief system feels right to you is ok because everyone when they die will go to the summerlands and be reincarnated into another life. Wiccans don't try to change other people's beliefs. As long as an Atheist is fine with a Wiccan staying a Wiccan they could date.
Personally I would not date a Wiccan. I wouldn't mind having a friend who's Wiccan but I would definetly not want to live with someone who is Wiccan and be sorrounded by all the Witchy stuff.
However compared to Wiccans, Christians are all about converting people. They are all about making sure people are saved by Jesus so they don't burn eternally in hell.
Children mimic adults. What if there is an issue that the child faces and you have a common sense solution for the child and then your wife has a biblical solution that you don't agree with? What if one of your kids takes the Atheist side and not the Christian side. I could see you getting a fight with your wife right there.
You can still have a decent relationship with your wife through being friends. I've heard stories of some parents who were better off just being friends with each other rather than being spouses.
Also know divorce can hurt a child. I had a friend who was divorced and she said the pain of divorce was life long. I think but I'm not quite sure her mom and dad divorced over religion. She said her dad was a Jehova's Witness and I think the mom was not religious.
You're in a situation right now where I think it's best to move on and find another Atheist women.
I think it's ok to disagree over little things in friendships or marriage, but religous beliefs I think should be pretty similiar.
Here's an example. Both my parents are Christians, but my mom does not approve of watching ghost shows like Ghost Hunter, or Ghost Adventures. My dad enjoys watching these shows. They reached a compromise to just to not talk about these shows with each other. They don't agree with each other but it hasn't ruined their marriage.
You can still love your children even with a divorce. You can still visit your children from time to time. I have some friends who are divorced and do this.
Divorcing still has consequences like what to do with the kids, and paying child support.
A old teacher of mine said she was divorced twice because she really wasn't listening to that inner voice in her head that said "Don't do it!"
I took her advice and ended my relationship before I ended up in a situation like this.
I go by the phrase by Paulo Coehlo" If you're brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seeking Some Advice - Religion In the Home - lizzielee - 21-02-2013 10:05 AM