Seeking Suggestions for Getting My Hands on a Few Mosquito Nets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Seeking Suggestions for Getting My Hands on a Few Mosquito Nets
Hey everyone. I’d like to begin by admitting outright that I created my account here for the sake of making this post. Though I have been meaning to join this community for about a year, life has kept me busy enough that I just haven’t had time to bring another domain into my life such as an online community. Recently, though, I found a crossroads between my busy life and an excuse to create this account and so, here I am. For those who want to skip the details, the TL;DR of this all is that I’m looking for any humanitarian organizations that might be able to help provide a decent number of mosquito nets in a timely manner as part of a small, five-man humanitarian effort.

I’ve been deployed with my unit for some time now to a region where malaria is a serious threat. It was never really a thing that weighed on my mind any, since we were issued our own protective measures in the form of medications and bug repellents and our work has kept us occupied. It never really crossed my mind that others might not be able to protect themselves until I befriended one of our interpreters. Given that we really don’t have much to do out here when we’re not working, some of my buddies and I would find ourselves at his little shack just outside the gate, eating goat meat and drinking tea with him as well as a few other locals on a somewhat regular basis.

One day, he brought it up that malaria had taken one of his brothers and that he was worried about the approaching rainy season. This led to a conversation wherein he explained just to what degree malaria affects the local population near this base. I had never really considered it, but these people don’t just “deal with it” and move on like a Westerner would deal with our own existential threats such as the possibility of a car accident or cancer. This is a very real, very present danger to these people and very real people are about to start dying very real deaths very soon.

I began looking for a means of helping that day and came across an organization on base known as the 5/6 club. They previously started planning their own mosquito net drive but gave up quickly when they realized that the cost of logistics outweighed the entire organization’s budget. I decided to pick up where they left off and began working a plan to request care packages sourced from multiple organizations to spread the cost of logistics out over a greater footprint. My first course of action was to fall back on my old religious days. Knowing that many churches have outreach charity programs, I began contacting churches through Facebook. Most never responded and the few that did were more than willing to “offer their prayers” but seemed to lack any form of motivation when it came to actually performing meaningful action capable of causing real effect.

Two hundred and fifty seven copy-paste mass messages to churches in and I’ve given up on churches. I’ve gone so far as contacting a religious organization that primarily distributes mosquito nets to a location near me with no response. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, since I was literally running a manual spam campaign, but it’s still frustrating that I just can’t seem to accomplish this with what I have.

Is there an organization on the secular side that I can get in touch with that might be able to get me a lot of mosquito nets shipped in or, at the very least, get the word out to individuals that would be more willing to donate? The people I talked to said that they wanted something in the 2-300 range. I don’t know if that’s asking for much; they seem to be pretty cheap if you know where to look. I suppose it depends on how well I can spread this out / the size of the organization that I reach out to.

Before anyone suggests, yes; I have considered going the whole “gofundme” route, but I’m afraid it might be a slower process than what would be required. The rain has already started, meaning that I missed my first goal of being able to distribute nets before the mosquitos hit. At this point, I’m really looking at distributing nets for next year before I leave as opposed to helping with this year’s season.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dozerman's post
06-06-2017, 01:12 PM
RE: Seeking Suggestions for Getting My Hands on a Few Mosquito Nets
Welcome to TTA.

Doesn't the Bill Gates foundation do something along these lines? Have you tried linking up with that?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
06-06-2017, 01:25 PM
(06-06-2017 01:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

Doesn't the Bill Gates foundation do something along these lines? Have you tried linking up with that?

Never even crossed my mind. I guess it's worth a shot, though I'm afraid my situation might be so small relative to them that they wouldn't care or at least would take ridiculously long to get back to me.
06-06-2017, 01:27 PM
I've used this site, Global Giving, before. Not sure if it's of any use or if this is at all what you're looking for, but that's all of got, unfortunately.

And good on you for trying! (Sorry if this came out condescending or something...)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
06-06-2017, 01:32 PM
BTW, I accidentally double-posted. How can I delete the duplicate?
06-06-2017, 01:34 PM
(06-06-2017 01:27 PM)Vera Wrote:  I've used this site, Global Giving, before. Not sure if it's of any use or if this is at all what you're looking for, but that's all of got, unfortunately.

And good on you for trying! (Sorry if this came out condescending or something...)

No, not at all. Thanks for the link; I'll check it out tomorrow when I have more time.
06-06-2017, 01:38 PM
(06-06-2017 01:32 PM)Dozerman Wrote:  BTW, I accidentally double-posted. How can I delete the duplicate?

You can't.

But I did.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
06-06-2017, 01:49 PM
(06-06-2017 01:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 01:32 PM)Dozerman Wrote:  BTW, I accidentally double-posted. How can I delete the duplicate?

You can't.

But I did.

Thumbsup

Awesome. Thanks.
06-06-2017, 02:05 PM
You might try this site: https://www.malarianomore.org/
Go to their Contact Us page, and ask them if they have suggestions about how to get nets for people in your area.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
06-06-2017, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 04:55 PM by jennybee.)
(06-06-2017 02:05 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  You might try this site: https://www.malarianomore.org/
Go to their Contact Us page, and ask them if they have suggestions about how to get nets for people in your area.

I was going to suggest this as well. I saw a movie awhile back with Hilary Swank called Mary and Martha on the tragedies involved with malaria. Malarianomore.org was the organization mentioned in conjunction with the movie.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post