Seeking Suggestions for Getting My Hands on a Few Mosquito Nets

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 04:54 PM
RE: Seeking Suggestions for Getting My Hands on a Few Mosquito Nets
Also just wanted to say to Dozerman, I think you are a pretty amazing person for doing this and taking the time to help others.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-06-2017, 07:07 AM
I did some charity work in Ghana, in my teens, and we had nets at the time, as well as having to take medication on the off chance we got bitten whilst out there. We worked with the "rotary club", which have chapters all over the world and help out with humanitarian things as well. They basically organised the whole trip for us (pending we raised the money, which we did via traditional fund raising techniques; bag packing at supermarkets/charity walks/asking for donations etc) as they have contacts in that area also.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
07-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Okay, so at this point, I've got globalgiving, malarianomore and the rotary club. Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I think I'll begin with malarianomore and move on from there since it seems to be the most straightforward path. Again, thank you all. I wish I could do more to say thanks, but all I've got is a few pictures to give. It's going to be amazing if a handful of atheists on some forum online accomplish more than hundreds of churches.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 4 users Like Dozerman's post
07-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Good luck! Keep us posted! And if you manage to set something up, post a link so we could donate too, maybe?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
07-06-2017, 03:24 PM
(07-06-2017 03:16 PM)Vera Wrote:  Good luck! Keep us posted! And if you manage to set something up, post a link so we could donate too, maybe?

Sure.

Do not fear death; fear an empty legacy. --An alcoholic I met in a bar one time
08-06-2017, 01:16 PM
So, I've got a rough draft for Malaria No More. What do you guys think? Anything I should change?

I understand that this may be a bit of an unorthodox request, but I'm trying to get my hands on a decent number of mosquito nets (2-300) for distribution to a location near where I am. I've been deployed to this location for some time with the military and have been made aware of the impact that this disease has on people first-hand. Because of this, I've been trying to reach out and help the people I am interacting with, people that I now consider my friends. I've attempted multiple avenues of acquisition with little to no success, though I have been led to your organization through my searches. Is there any way that we could work together to set up a distribution plan through an on-base organization that I am associated with? The organization itself is small, but if we were able to just get the nets to us, we could get them to the locals securely and quickly. Should we be unable to work anything out, I would greatly appreciate any information that might lead me to an organization who could help in this endeavor. Regardless of the outcome, thank you for what you're doing out there in the world.

[+] 2 users Like Dozerman's post
08-06-2017, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 01:59 PM by jennybee.)
(08-06-2017 01:16 PM)Dozerman Wrote:  So, I've got a rough draft for Malaria No More. What do you guys think? Anything I should change?

I understand that this may be a bit of an unorthodox request, but I'm trying to get my hands on a decent number of mosquito nets (2-300) for distribution to a location near where I am. I've been deployed to this location for some time with the military and have been made aware of the impact that this disease has on people first-hand. Because of this, I've been trying to reach out and help the people I am interacting with, people that I now consider my friends. I've attempted multiple avenues of acquisition with little to no success, though I have been led to your organization through my searches. Is there any way that we could work together to set up a distribution plan through an on-base organization that I am associated with? The organization itself is small, but if we were able to just get the nets to us, we could get them to the locals securely and quickly. Should we be unable to work anything out, I would greatly appreciate any information that might lead me to an organization who could help in this endeavor. Regardless of the outcome, thank you for what you're doing out there in the world.

I think it's very well-written, short and to the point. I would also suggest adding some photos of the people in need and maybe of you in your unit. I think putting faces with a cause is a powerful tool. The only other thing I would suggest is to maybe add is to this part here: "I've been deployed to this location for some time with the military and have been made aware of the impact that this disease has on people first-hand." I think giving a few examples of the impact the disease had on various people and families would be helpful in achieving aid. Good luck with all of this. I hope they can help.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-06-2017, 02:35 PM
(08-06-2017 01:34 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 01:16 PM)Dozerman Wrote:  So, I've got a rough draft for Malaria No More. What do you guys think? Anything I should change?

I think it's very well-written, short and to the point. I would also suggest adding some photos of the people in need and maybe of you in your unit. I think putting faces with a cause is a powerful tool. The only other thing I would suggest is to maybe add is to this part here: "I've been deployed to this location for some time with the military and have been made aware of the impact that this disease has on people first-hand." I think giving a few examples of the impact the disease had on various people and families would be helpful in achieving aid. Good luck with all of this. I hope they can help.

Thanks for the feedback!

[+] 1 user Likes Dozerman's post
09-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Just an update:
They don't handle distribution themselves, but they're trying to get me in touch with some other organizations that might be able to get some to me.

[+] 2 users Like Dozerman's post
12-06-2017, 04:29 AM
Awesome, keep it going and let us know how you get on Smile

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post