Seeking some advice for depression.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Seeking some advice for depression.
I've never been so depressed in my life. I wake up in the morning with an empty feeling inside, wishing that I could have just slept forever until I died. I feel hopeless and like my life has no meaning or purpose. I stay busy with work during the daytime, and usually this at least keeps me from thinking about it regularly, but when I stop to rest for more than a couple of minutes, my intense feelings of depression come back and bring me back down. When I get depressed, all that I want is to be alone and away from anyone or anything. I really am starting to hate myself.

I suspect that my depression may in part be related to the fact that I was abused as a child, which is something that I seem to think about way too much now.

I know I need to find myself a therapist, which I'm working on. But right now, I really don't have the time to commit to one, and may not for a while. In the meanwhile, does anyone have any recommendations for coping with depression? Or am I absolutely insane for trying to put this off? Please do be honest. I really appreciate it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 09:48 AM
RE: Seeking some advice for depression.
Therapy can help immensely, but i have found that you have to be willing to be completely honest and WANT to sift through all the inner layers of your depression. I speak from experience here as I have manic depression. In the mean time you can find something to do that relieves stress, or anger...whatever you got pent up. Writing can help a lot, sometimes just seeing what's going on in your head on paper can help sort out your issue. Another exercise I really liked was writing a letter to my abuser(I never delivered it) but it was nice to feel like I wasn't holding shit inside anymore. Hope it goes easier!
18-04-2013, 10:37 AM
(18-04-2013 09:04 AM)hellboundn'proud Wrote:  I know I need to find myself a therapist, which I'm working on. But right now, I really don't have the time to commit to one, and may not for a while. In the meanwhile, does anyone have any recommendations for coping with depression? Or am I absolutely insane for trying to put this off? Please do be honest. I really appreciate it.

You might look into medication, which you can get from a regular doctor. I have what's called "social anxiety disorder" so I take Prozac. It seems to help lessen my anxiety and make it go away quicker, although in men it can dim the libido somewhat.

In the past I tried Paxil (for depression) and Zoloft (for my SAD). Paxil was OK, but if you quit cold-turkey it can make you crash bigtime (as I experienced first-hand), and some reports indicate it may contribute to suicide or otherwise lashing out (again, that may be part of sudden withdrawal, but I'm not sure). Zoloft didn't seem to work for me very well, and it can cause weight-gain in some people.

Some folks believe that over-the-counter herbal stuff like St. John's Wort or SAMe are helpful for mood disorders, but this may be more a placebo deal than anything else. Plus, they can clash with meds (for example, I used to take St. John's Wort, but I can't now that I'm on Prozac because it may interfere with it), so you have to be careful with them depending on your existing med perscriptions.

All it took for me to get on these meds was one visit to my primary care doctor. Of course, the ideal way to use these meds is in conjunction with a therapist because a typical primary care doc isn't going to spend time talking with you about your issues (you may not feel you have time to see a therapist, but it sounds like it would be a good investment to make if you are feeling so bad. Years ago I visited a counselor once a week for an hour session, and it was helpful). Also, my doc said that the dosage is based on "trial and error" so it may take time to find the right level for you.

It's best to get to a doctor as soon as possible and check out your options (a better idea then self-diagnosis and treatment, to be sure). There is no reason to keep living in a depressive mire when there are readily available options - life is too short to be bummed out!
18-04-2013, 08:22 PM
stashthegoods - I've only experienced religious therapists in the past, who I have not been totally honest with, as I felt I had things in my past which were 'shameful in the sight of god'. Now that I'm an atheist, I don't really feel the need to withhold anything, because I don't really feel that I should be shameful of anything as much as I need to work through it. I really do want to work through it, as living with it as I am now really does suck.

Atheist_pilgrim - I think that my next step will be to see a doctor. I've been unhappy for long enough. I am a bit apprehensive towards most anti-depressants because they always seem to have the longest lists of possible side effects ever, but they might prove to be quite valuable to me and my situation.

I can't thank either of you enough for your input. Thanks a million.
[+] 1 user Likes hellbound'n'proud's post
19-04-2013, 04:21 PM
(18-04-2013 08:22 PM)hellboundn'proud Wrote:  stashthegoods - I've only experienced religious therapists in the past, who I have not been totally honest with, as I felt I had things in my past which were 'shameful in the sight of god'. Now that I'm an atheist, I don't really feel the need to withhold anything, because I don't really feel that I should be shameful of anything as much as I need to work through it. I really do want to work through it, as living with it as I am now really does suck.

Atheist_pilgrim - I think that my next step will be to see a doctor. I've been unhappy for long enough. I am a bit apprehensive towards most anti-depressants because they always seem to have the longest lists of possible side effects ever, but they might prove to be quite valuable to me and my situation.

I can't thank either of you enough for your input. Thanks a million.
You should see a psychiatrist, someone with an MD in their title. They will be able to assess whether you need meds and which ones would be most appropriate. I would recommend that you outline the abuse you've experienced and your progression towards athiesm. This type of doctor will charge more, but I really think this is where you should start. Try to get your doctor (your primary care) to refer you (this helps with the insurance too) to a psychiatrist to assess you. Then I would get referral a non religious therapist or clinical psychologist (less money than the MDs) to talk through your issues and problems and to keep you on track with the goals you set. It helps to have something to look forward to.

Make sure you exercise REGULARLY. I like to ride a bike.

Look into thought stopping techniques.

It's good to hear you're tired of being depressed. That's how I started getting better.
I used to take meds. When you've been depressed it can be hard to remember what it is like to be happy. I found that it takes a bit for them to work (two weeks to six months), but once they kick in they can make you happy. For me, it was like, oh, here's the happy place, I remember how to get here now.

Good luck, you are not alone.
19-04-2013, 11:08 PM

mistaken entry; please delete.
Quote this message in a reply