Self Harm (a question I stumbled upon)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2011, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 09:20 PM by itsFerdinand.)
Self Harm (a question I stumbled upon)
Q: I hate my body. I've got my blades, what do I do now?
-Anonymous.

A: Take them and going into your bathroom, and take off all of your clothes. Then, stand up and look in the mirror. Just look for a second, even if you hate what you see. Then, imagine your body covered in scars, gashes, cuts, and bruises. Imagine yourself months from now hiding your body, apologizing while you hurry to push your sleeves down when they slide up in class. Now back to normal, which one do you prefer? Exactly. Put down the razor. Put your clothes back on. Leave the bathroom. Call your best friend, you significant other, tell them you love them. Don't ever touch that fucking razor again.

-stayfadedstaygold (tumblr)

The reason I posted this is because I know a lot of people (some close to me, some not so close) that have committed self harm. I realize the emotional impact that causes this is great, because I myself, unfortunately (but fortunately in ways of understanding) have experienced this, or almost. I've been through quite a lot in my almost 16 independent years of living, and I've come face to face with a razor before. I didn't harm myself though, because right then and there, before the blade even came into contact with my arm, I realize I have my best friend. Shyla. She's been there for me for seven years, and I realize right then and there, that just simply talking to someone is so much easier than putting yourself through that. Talking to people about somethings can be difficult, and mentally stressing. But wouldn't you much rather just open your mouth and at least ATTEMPT to speak, before you scar yourself permanently? I do realize that some people just don't acquire the will power to do such a thing, and break the barrier before harming themselves. I also realize that some people don't have any friends to turn to in such a situation. Some don't even have parents, or any traces of family. But you're not the only human being on the planet. There's someone. Always someone you can talk to. I can't even begin to count how many people I know who've harmed themselves that were just mere acquaintances of mine; I wish I could've been there for them. I wish I would've know, so I at least could've told them "Hey, you may not know me too well, but I'm here for you if you ever feel alone."

So my questions are; What do you think about self harm? Do you think it's ignorant? Do you think it's not stupid, and that it's actually a serious emotional-including matter? Do you know anyone that's committed self harm? Have you ever known, helped anyone, or caused anyone to commit self harm?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes itsFerdinand's post
04-12-2011, 02:17 PM
RE: Self Harm (a question I stumbled upon)
Would you mind if I move this to Health and Psycology?
I think it warrants a more serious look.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2011, 02:19 PM
(04-12-2011 02:17 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Would you mind if I move this to Health and Psycology?
I think it warrants a more serious look.

Mhm! Sorry Stark, I wasn't sure where to post it.
But thanks! [:
04-12-2011, 02:28 PM
No problem. Just want this to get the attention it deserves.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
It's a serious psychological disorder. I should know. I lived the majority of my life committing self harm of a different variety. I did drugs, I fought literally every day. Sometimes more than once. For years I did this. I was suicidal. Didn't really know it then. I've never been one to share myself with people. My real self. So that never occurred to me.
I don't understand cutting but that doesn't mean I don't understand the cutter. Sometimes it isn't just self loathing that does it sometimes is just worldly depression. I hated everything an everyone because nothing seemed worth doing.
Anyways if you know someone who is actually cutting or is overly self destructive recommend psychiatric help.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Seems to be a "girl thing," Iced Earthling. This boy named ellen has done it in the past; I got some scars,but being a guy, scars are cool.

This kind of thing reflects why I write here rather than deviantArt, where I used to be a member off and on for six years, but no more. That is because it is full of kids and their angst and it was like every fucking day...

The ethical thing to do is to talk the person off the ledge, but in this area and from this avatar - you ain't taking my fucking razor blade. I used it back in July; it's witchcraft (primitive psychology) that works for this unit if no other.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
itsFerdinand, you never fail to bring up some great topics, and this is yet another great one to consider.

I imagine, from what a friend described to me about the result of cutting, that it's not that dissimilar to taking a substance to relieve stress. Just as someone might reach for a pipe or a bottle to mask their emotional pain, my friend told me the razor gives her that similar release.

I still didn't really understand this until I had the opportunity to become very suicidal. My doctor asked me if it made me happy or content when I contemplated killing myself. Not at all. Far from it. I didn't want to kill myself, I just could not see any other way to make the emotional pain go away.

I share this very personal information about myself, because it changed how I view the pain of others. I used to, at least in the back of my mind, think of people who cut, or abused substances, or who attempted suicide as being maybe just a bit weaker than "the rest of us." But then I found that I could reach a point where I was pretty dead serious about being dead. Reflecting on that experience, soon after, I realized I did not want to kill myself because I couldn't handle the problems of life, but I sure as hell wanted to find the best solution for the pain. Fortunately for me, medication and therapy finally did provide a solution, as long as I was willing to believe that day of feeling better would come.

So, itsFerdinand, you're spot on when you advice people to find someone to talk to. And that wasn't easy for me, because I'm rather private, and the more depressed I am, the more reclusive I become. But there is always someone. I started with my doctor. Then a therapist. Then I was able to open up with friends and family and find the healing I needed.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I used to be very hypocritical about the subject myself, until I was surprised, and forced to succumb to the experience myself. Though I didn't completely surrender to it. I did, however, battle those hurtful thoughts on a daily basis. I felt distant from the world, but I was one of those people who wouldn't show it to people. Though I usually wear my heart on my sleeve, this was an instance where I would just put on a fake smile everyday. I used to think it was for weak people. People who simply craved attention. It wasn't until I felt the pain of the general that I had a new perspective on it. A helpful perspective.

I wouldn't say I was one of the lucky ones, or smarter ones- because even intelligent people have encountered this and those with luck probably wouldn't have ever even thought of it. I just had the balls, at the time, to put that razor down and do something for myself that was for the better.

Houseofcantor (you had a deviantArt? what. xD), for men to wear scars is a pride thing, I'd suspect. But how those scars were created is a different story. I know a guy, my friend that speaks Vietnamese, and Gwyneth bless his heart he sounds awful when he rambles in his asian native; but he's been through a lot. Being a 20 year old dating a 15 year old, and living life in a careless casual way that I probably wouldn't live mine, he used to cut himself quite often. Pretty deep too, in words and in actions. It's been years, and his scars are quite clear and noticeable. As if they were made within recent months. When I first met him, my friend had motioned to his arm in a questioning manner, and he had just shrugged it off; shortly after giving me a look. He knew I knew. It was obvious to anyone with common sense, really.
So I'd suppose wearing those self made scars with even a small bit of pride is just based on the person.

Erxomai, you're my forum bestie now. Just because you always seem to understand where my threads are directing too; not saying other posters don't. But I do thank you for crediting my advice and consideration of the points of my threads, as well as sharing such a personal detailed story (same goes for ludacris- much respect.)
[+] 2 users Like itsFerdinand's post
04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
(04-12-2011 04:09 PM)itsFerdinand Wrote:  Erxomai, you're my forum bestie now. Just because you always seem to understand where my threads are directing too; not saying other posters don't. But I do thank you for crediting my advice and consideration of the points of my threads, as well as sharing such a personal detailed story (same goes for ludacris- much respect.)

Sweet Sauce! I've never been anyone's forum bestie before.
I understand your threads because of all that time I spent as a teenage girl back in the 80s, or was it because I read the first Twilight book and it warped me more than I realized? Or maybe you're just a clever and intuitive person.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
04-12-2011, 04:24 PM
(04-12-2011 04:16 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Sweet Sauce! I've never been anyone's forum bestie before.
I understand your threads because of all that time I spent as a teenage girl back in the 80s, or was it because I read the first Twilight book and it warped me more than I realized? Or maybe you're just a clever and intuitive person.

Probably the third of choices; because in all honesty, I wouldn't compare myself to the general population of whiny teenage girls. But maybe that's just me being a typical braggish ass; and in all honesty, I could never even finish the Twilight series. Not that I don't love to read, because I love Marcus Sedgwick, but sweet baby Jesus, just-- No. xD
[+] 1 user Likes itsFerdinand's post