Self-Harm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
RE: Self-Harm
(04-01-2013 12:40 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  My mom went through counseling classes in college and she's mentioned before that both suicidal thoughts and abuse must be reported or you could lose your job.
Kiddo, *abuse* means you gotta make a plan. If abuse is happening, it's not up to you to protect the abuser, no matter how much of a terrible thing that may seem to you. Also, if abuse of *you* makes you feel bad, remember, it's the *abuser* doing that to you, it's not *you* who is bad. And they have no right. None whatsoever Angry So *tell on them*. They're being evil and you have to protect yourself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 01:10 PM by Vera.)
Sweetheart, you are too young to be suicidal. Suicide is a choice and a right, but no teenager is equipped to make this choice. And I don't mean it in a condescending way. Not at all. It's just that your brain is still developing and undergoing changes and this age is one hell of a turmoil. Your thoughts change, you yourself change, so even if you're thinking about it today, chances are, you won't tomorrow.

And trust me, nearly everyone has thought about it at least once. It's an option and a lot of us come to a point in our lives where we consider it (which doesn't necessarily make us suicidal). Most of us never do choose this option. But regardless, you are still not at this point in your life. And this is a good thing, because no matter how cliched this sounds, you do still have your whole life in front of you. Try and get help; let others see that "Sara isn't happy." (but not by hurting yourself even more) and allow them it help you. (I wish I had done the same when I was your age. I didn't and that probably wasn't the best choice, so I really hope you will.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
04-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Thank you all for not just scolding me for my actions. I don't want to feel like this anymore and I'm trying to change.
I have a counseling appointment next Thursday and I guess we'll see how that goes.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like legendoflink's post
04-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Just a final thought then, I suggest you don't simply "see how that goes". You are a BIG part of your own therapy. It will never go well if you don't participate fully. That means not "seeing how it goes" but actually "working with the therapist to make sure it goes well".

I hope you see the difference and give it your all, because if you do, it can very well make an amazing difference in your life.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
(04-01-2013 12:58 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Just a final thought then, I suggest you don't simply "see how that goes". You are a BIG part of your own therapy. It will never go well if you don't participate fully. That means not "seeing how it goes" but actually "working with the therapist to make sure it goes well".

I hope you see the difference and give it your all, because if you do, it can very well make an amazing difference in your life.

I'll work at it.
Promise.

bemore

[+] 5 users Like legendoflink's post
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
(04-01-2013 12:55 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  I have a counseling appointment next Thursday and I guess we'll see how that goes.

Wow! That is great! YOU are taking charge of YOU.

It's actually one of the first big steps into young adulthood. You've already got a great shot at independence, you just need some self tweaking... everybody needs that now and then.

You seem to think you need to change. At this point, I don't think change has anything to do with your situation; I think you just need to figure out who YOU are. Once you get a better view of YOU, then you can decide on some kind of change. (But by the time you figure YOU out, you may have already "changed" without realizing it. Wink )

Your therapist will be someone to work with, someone who will help you organize things and give you tools to get a better view of how things are. In other words: all the therapist will do is give you "the bike" and show you how to "ride the bike" but you will have to actually "ride the bike" YOURSELF. Then, once you've practiced riding the bike yourself - a lot - you'll be on your own. It's really a good thing to have a therapist because once you are ready to leave, the goodbye isn't really difficult.

Figuring out YOU and your own shit, really is a baby step by baby step thing. Even for oldies. Just ask Erxy... or any of the dozen or so people on this forum who've crawled out of their theist upbringing. Getting to YOU will be a struggle but it will be the best struggle you'll ever go through.

Maybe this change you talk about ... you might want to think of it as accomplishment... I think it is what you will feel after working through such a struggle.

Good luck SarahBear. Heart

There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Perception is up for grabs, and truth seems to be the one precious thing, that no one wants anyone to find.
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
04-01-2013, 06:46 PM
(04-01-2013 01:00 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 12:58 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Just a final thought then, I suggest you don't simply "see how that goes". You are a BIG part of your own therapy. It will never go well if you don't participate fully. That means not "seeing how it goes" but actually "working with the therapist to make sure it goes well".

I'll work at it.
Promise.
I'm happy to read this. I'm living proof that someone can conquer these types of thought. I lived it for at least 25 years. If you have not done so already I would start a journal. Writing my thoughts out always helped me.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes smidgen's post
05-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Find your focus and stick with it.

The last time I tried to kill myself I jumped off a building. Halfway down I thought it was a bad idea.

Killing yourself is pointless. It is like trying to move away from an emotion. However even as I say that...

Anyway you are far to valuable now to just give up. There are people out in the world who need you.
Finding the words to say what I want to say; there will only ever be one of you, but that does not mean you are alone.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 2 users Like Xinoftruden's post
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Ok so yesterday things got bad again.
I came home to trouble and got beat to a pulp.. Then everyone left the house, leaving me home alone with nothing but suicide and cutting on my mind. I cut again and also drank my pain away.

I need help.
I wish that my parents could see that..

Anyways, three days until my appointment so we'll see how it goes.

bemore

07-01-2013, 12:52 PM
(07-01-2013 12:48 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  Ok so yesterday things got bad again.
I came home to trouble and got beat to a pulp.. Then everyone left the house, leaving me home alone with nothing but suicide and cutting on my mind. I cut again and also drank my pain away.

I need help.
I wish that my parents could see that..

Anyways, three days until my appointment so we'll see how it goes.
I suggest urge you to go to the police.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post