Self-Harm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 12:56 PM
RE: Self-Harm
Tomorrow is my appointment day and honestly, I'm dreading it.
I just don't see it helping at all ugh.

Anyway, things are getting much better, minus the yelling from my dad (but no more than that so).

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes legendoflink's post
23-01-2013, 02:01 PM
(23-01-2013 12:56 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  Tomorrow is my appointment day and honestly, I'm dreading it.

Anyway, things are getting much better, minus the yelling from my dad (but no more than that so).
Good luck, try to stay positive. Don't go in there thinking "this won't help". If you do...self-fulfilling prophecy. Be honest, stay positive, and expect good results. If, after a few sessions, you feel like your not getting the help you need ask to see someone else. Being positive and honest (with yourself and your therapist) is not always as easy as it sounds, but hang in there. I have faith in you.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
23-01-2013, 02:03 PM
(23-01-2013 12:56 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  Tomorrow is my appointment day and honestly, I'm dreading it.

Good luck! Hope it goes well. Glad other stuff has improved too Smile
23-01-2013, 07:59 PM
(20-01-2013 02:57 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Sarah,

I went through my fair share of depression and self-harm/suicidal ideations when I was your age as well. I can't speak as to the cause of it all, but to some extent I can relate. Eventually my parents forced me into seeing a psychologist which I didn't like either.

Me too, Dark. At the same age as Sarah. But I can trace the cause to Nietszche, Sartre, and Camus. They were mind blowing but they came with adverse side effects for a bright young impressionable 15 yo. Folks sent me to a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist. Unlike psychologists, psychiatrists can write scrips. Wasn't much counseling involved but there was a lot of dicking with my lithium dosage. They got a lot more sophisticated drugs than lithium now. I know I'm in the minority opinion, but Girly's a big fan of pharmacology. Shit saved my life.

I have friends who tell me that a good social worker provides far better counseling than psychologists. And they think both are better than psychiatrists. But they ain't fans of pharmacology like Girly is.

Good luck, Sarah. Your only task is to let them try to help you. That's all. No big deal.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
23-01-2013, 08:23 PM
(23-01-2013 07:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Me too, Dark. At the same age as Sarah. But I can trace the cause to Nietszche, Sartre, and Camus. They were mind blowing but they came with adverse side effects for a bright young impressionable 15 yo. Folks sent me to a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist. Unlike psychologists, psychiatrists can write scrips. Wasn't much counseling involved but there was a lot of dicking with my lithium dosage. They got a lot more sophisticated drugs than lithium now. I know I'm in the minority opinion, but Girly's a big fan of pharmacology. Shit saved my life.

I have friends who tell me that a good social worker provides far better counseling than psychologists. And they think both are better than psychiatrists. But they ain't fans of pharmacology like Girly is.

Good luck, Sarah. Your only task is to let them try to help you. That's all. No big deal.
I may have used language that was too obscure (which I was afraid of.) What I meant was that Sarah and I didn't nessacarily have the same underlying reasons for depression. My reasons sound more in-line with yours, and I also saw as psychiatrist who put me on Zoloft...which I don't believe was helpful (though I could be wrong.) In any event I was a scrawny kid who didn't eat very much. The meds nearly caused me to stop eating altogether! Only a small meal per day was all I could eat, even then I wasn't really hungry.

Be sure if you are put on meds to communicate with doc, some side-effects are much more serious than mine were, including an increase in suicidal thought.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
23-01-2013, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2013 09:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-01-2013 08:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(23-01-2013 07:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Me too, Dark. At the same age as Sarah. But I can trace the cause to Nietszche, Sartre, and Camus. They were mind blowing but they came with adverse side effects for a bright young impressionable 15 yo. Folks sent me to a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist. Unlike psychologists, psychiatrists can write scrips. Wasn't much counseling involved but there was a lot of dicking with my lithium dosage. They got a lot more sophisticated drugs than lithium now. I know I'm in the minority opinion, but Girly's a big fan of pharmacology. Shit saved my life.

I may have used language that was too obscure (which I was afraid of.) What I meant was that Sarah and I didn't nessacarily have the same underlying reasons for depression. My reasons sound more in-line with yours, and I also saw as psychiatrist who put me on Zoloft...which I don't believe was helpful (though I could be wrong.) In any event I was a scrawny kid who didn't eat very much. The meds nearly caused me to stop eating altogether! Only a small meal per day was all I could eat, even then I wasn't really hungry.

Be sure if you are put on meds to communicate with doc, some side-effects are much more serious than mine were, including an increase in suicidal thought.

Like I said, pharmacology ain't for everyone and Girly's in the minority being a fan of it. Looking back on it all, the only thing I'd change is that as a 50 yo man I am much more proactive about my health care than I was at 15. I should've been researching and suggesting medications to my shrink back then like I do now with my Doc wrt my prediabetes and low T. But tweren't no interwebz back then. I understand that's a lot to ask of a 15 yo. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd like to be as proactive about my health care at 15 as I am at 50. At this point, Sarah first needs to let professionals who are paid to care about her well-being try their best to help her well-being. But I'd like to see her take charge of her health care much sooner than Girly did. She can do it, she has the interwebz and pubmed that Girly didn't and she is anything but stupid. I personally have found that researching my particular afflictions is not only informative and instructive, but also therapeutic.

(23-01-2013 08:23 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Be sure if you are put on meds to communicate with doc, some side-effects are much more serious than mine were, including an increase in suicidal thought.

I see that some antidepressants have black box warnings that if given to teenagers can actually exacerbate suicidal thoughts. ... Fucking weird since that's kinda like what they were designed to combat in the first place. ... But I can see it, 'cause the teenage brain is just fucking weird. ... It's the formative stage when the brain stops just absorbing shit and starts to crystallize shit.

24-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Legendoflink,

As others have said, professional help with a therapist is a must and probably the best thing to help. I'm glad you have an appointment. Please do yourself a big favor (even if it doesn't seem like one) and go to that appointment. Also, if therapy hasn't worked for you in the past, maybe you need a different therapist. There are many different approaches and philosophies in the field of psychology and there are many different personalities of therapists. Some approaches and therapists will help you more than others.

I also want to suggest that you read this book called Feeling Good, The New Mood Therapy by David Burns. It sounds like you have real life circumstances that are leading to your desire to harm yourself. This book can't change the circumstances, but it can help you to cope better with them. This book has helped other people that I know.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
25-01-2013, 12:16 PM
So I went to my appointment and it went WONDERFUL.
Mr. Thorn asked me to color a human body thing according to my levels of anger, depression, and insecurity (kind of like what Lilo does for Stitch).
But afterwards, my parents just yelled at me and are making me stay at my grandparents all weekend because they don't want to be around me. Basically all because I said I was upset because of mostly them.
I don't get to see my boyfriend until HOPEFULLY next weekend and it really sucks but whatever.
Anyway, there is my trip summary.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like legendoflink's post
25-01-2013, 03:16 PM
(25-01-2013 12:16 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  But afterwards, my parents just yelled at me and are making me stay at my grandparents all weekend because they don't want to be around me. Basically all because I said I was upset because of mostly them.

This makes me bleak. It's a crap response. No desire to *fix* the problems or find a common ground Sad Anyway, at least if you stay with grandparents it's better right ? Well done, glad the appointment went well, hope you're finding them helpful Smile
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-01-2013, 03:30 PM
(25-01-2013 03:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(25-01-2013 12:16 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  But afterwards, my parents just yelled at me and are making me stay at my grandparents all weekend because they don't want to be around me. Basically all because I said I was upset because of mostly them.

This makes me bleak.

Me too. Sounds like Sarah's parents' issues might be responsible for hers.

(25-01-2013 03:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  Well done, glad the appointment went well, hope you're finding them helpful Smile

Me too. Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post