Self-Harm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 01:00 PM
RE: Self-Harm
(07-02-2013 12:56 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Have you been prescribed any meds? If so, make sure you stay on them. If not ask a doc. about it, and make sure you communicate its affects with him/her.
Like anti-depressants?

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes legendoflink's post
07-02-2013, 02:01 PM
(07-02-2013 12:43 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  
(06-02-2013 10:01 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Linky, you are amazing and if I had the power and the money to come down there and support you, I would. Hell, if you could make it to Indiana, I probably would fight tooth and nail for you to stay over at my place. We have like four bedrooms that you could use Tongue
Hell, if you play it right they might beg you to marry me Confused Confused
A2 you're a sweetie-pie.
Maybe I'll grab a map, some money, and a backpack full of sandwiches and head that way right now, on foot.
Sounds like a good deal to me.

Marriage hm?
You don't seem too excited about that. Undecided

Being married to you isn't a downer, but I was thinking about DLJing it for a couple of years first.

Plus, if I get married, it probably would be to a girl not nearly as awesome as you. My mind can't handle you Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
07-02-2013, 02:59 PM
(07-02-2013 01:00 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 12:56 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Have you been prescribed any meds? If so, make sure you stay on them. If not ask a doc. about it, and make sure you communicate its affects with him/her.
Like anti-depressants?
Yup. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Antidepressants require follow thru. Doctor visits and taking them correctly are crucial for them to be effective. This is particularly important for teens. And they take a while to work so taking them a few days and not seeing results is not an indication of the good they may do with enough time.
LoL - if you were verbally abused by your counselor (if I understood correctly) was this reported?

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-02-2013, 10:24 PM
(06-02-2013 01:01 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  To everyone that reads this thread, I just wanted to stop by and inform everyone that I have stopped going to counseling.
Some verbal abuse and discomfort was present in my last session and I don't feel comfortable going back, at least to there.
I'm sorry if I have disappointed any of you, but I just couldn't do it anymore.

Sadly to say, I have reverted back to self-harm..
I'm sorry.
I'm dissapointed in your counseler, actualy. Chewing out an SI person for being SI really early on is a no no, in my oppinion.

Yes? No? Maybe?
08-02-2013, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 12:27 PM by legendoflink.)
(07-02-2013 03:04 PM)Anjele Wrote:  LoL - if you were verbally abused by your counselor (if I understood correctly) was this reported?
Yeah, we'll see how it goes.

bemore

10-02-2013, 08:37 PM
(10-02-2013 08:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I posted something, but apparently the only things that are allowed to be posted in this thread are lovey dovey flower and rainbow shit.
Heaven forbid someone offers some real advice.

Your post violated this sub-forum's rules.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
11-02-2013, 09:59 AM
(10-02-2013 08:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 08:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I posted something, but apparently the only things that are allowed to be posted in this thread are lovey dovey flower and rainbow shit.
Heaven forbid someone offers some real advice. Your post violated this sub-forum's rules.
Oh Chas how I love you.

bemore

11-02-2013, 10:56 AM
(07-02-2013 01:00 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  
Like anti-depressants?

didn't mean to like this post. Just on my phone and finger slipped.... I wouldn't suggest anti-depressants.(but I'm no doc, nor do i know much about your situation... Or emotions in general)

I see the situation like sitting in a leaky boat. Anti-depressants are like scooping out the water and tossing it over the side, but not bothering to fix the problem, its really temporary measure. Therapy in this situation is like trying to patch the soggy boat while its still in the water, but for a long term solution you need to get the boat to safety, then patch it up.

Therapy and/or meds might help you cope as the situation stands, but they only work on you, and As far as i can tell, you aren't the problem here.
11-02-2013, 12:50 PM
(06-02-2013 01:01 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  To everyone that reads this thread, I just wanted to stop by and inform everyone that I have stopped going to counseling.
Some verbal abuse and discomfort was present in my last session and I don't feel comfortable going back, at least to there.
I'm sorry if I have disappointed any of you, but I just couldn't do it anymore.

Sadly to say, I have reverted back to self-harm..
I'm sorry.
Not all therapists are the same nor are all therapies. And what works for one person may not work for another. You can have the right therapist and the wrong therapy or the right therapy and the wrong therapist, or both. It's important to find a therapist that actually helps you. So leaving one that is obviously not helping is a step in the right direction as long as you make an effort to find a better one. In that case, it's not cause for disappointment, but cause to feel proud of yourself for doing what you needed to do.

Please bear in mind though, that even the right therapist might make you face things that are uncomfortable at times. So don't be ready to leave at any sign of discomfort without giving it careful thought. Verbal abuse, however, is not acceptable and is clearly a sign that it's time to find another therapist. You did the right thing by leaving.

About the self harm, when someone says "stop", it's much easier said than done. One idea would be to start a list of things that you like about yourself. Try to write one new thing on it each day. Start with generalities "I am pretty", "I am kind", "I laugh at my friend's jokes", or whatever fits. When you run out of ideas, try to think of something positive about your day that is also about you. Bemore's comment in your signature, for example, was something nice someone said about you that you could write on your list for that day. Or, "I loaned someone my pencil today" would be fine. On the other hand, "the weather was nice today" is positive, but not about you so that wouldn't be a good one.

Once you have started the list and have at least 3 items on it, promise yourself that you will never harm yourself without reading that list first. Whenever you feel tempted to harm yourself read that list and see if it helps you feel better enough to resist harming yourself. And keep adding an item every day. (If you just absolutely can't come up with something to put on the list one day, don't worry about it. Continue the next day.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair