Self-Harm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 03:12 PM
RE: Self-Harm
Cosmos,

That sounded like a Dr. Phil answer, and for all know you may be right, but it isn't a helpful post. As you pointed out, you aren't a doctor, a decision like this needs to be made by her doc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you, I just don't want Sarah to get the wrong idea and say "That won't fix anything, no point in bothering with it." Aside from that I would have to disagree, for some people that is a fix, not a half-assed soggy patch for your figurative sinking row-boat. In either case, Sarah, please speak to your doc about it. Let him/her make the evaluation and recommend a course of action whether or not that includes medications and/or therapy.

[Image: frabz-Yeah-Well-keep-on-truckin-7b7bdc.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2013, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2013 03:31 PM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
(11-02-2013 03:12 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Cosmos,

That sounded like a Dr. Phil answer, and for all know you may be right, but it isn't a helpful post. As you pointed out, you aren't a doctor, a decision like this needs to be made by her doc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing you, I just don't want Sarah to get the wrong idea and say "That won't fix anything, no point in bothering with it." Aside from that I would have to disagree, for some people that is a fix, not a half-assed soggy patch for your figurative sinking row-boat. In either case, Sarah, please speak to your doc about it. Let him/her make the evaluation and recommend a course of action whether or not that includes medications and/or therapy.

[Image: frabz-Yeah-Well-keep-on-truckin-7b7bdc.jpg]

Wasn't gonna post, but I figured I couldn't unlike the comment after accidentally clicking it, so i left an explanation... followed by some stuff while half asleep. TBH, I don't really feel negative emotions... Never really have, so I don't know how to deal with them. Also, if the problem is based in another person or persons... That will have to be dealt with eventually.
11-02-2013, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 08:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-02-2013 10:56 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 01:00 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  Like anti-depressants?

didn't mean to like this post. Just on my phone and finger slipped.... I wouldn't suggest anti-depressants.(but I'm no doc, nor do i know much about your situation... Or emotions in general)

I see the situation like sitting in a leaky boat. Anti-depressants are like scooping out the water and tossing it over the side, but not bothering to fix the problem, its really temporary measure. Therapy in this situation is like trying to patch the soggy boat while its still in the water, but for a long term solution you need to get the boat to safety, then patch it up.

Therapy and/or meds might help you cope as the situation stands, but they only work on you, and As far as i can tell, you aren't the problem here.

(11-02-2013 03:12 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Cosmos,

Cosmos' post didn't come across to me the same it did to you, DarkLight. It is helpful to know that therapy works for some, meds for others. I personally didn't get dick outta therapy, but the pharmaceuticals work for me. Anti-depressants kept me alive but not much more than that. Took many decades of the shrinks dicking with different meds before I found atypical antipsychotics work best for me. Don't need no therapy. If Sarah's just seeing Psychologists and Therapists and Social Workers, well they can't write scripts so the entire field pf psychiatric pharmacology is unavailable. ... But every therapy is individual and I give Cosmos the benefit of the doubt he was just pointing that out. ... And Anjele's right to point out that not only the anti-depressants but all of the psychiatric pharmaceuticals carry increased risks for teens. Not so much for 50 yo GirlyMen.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
11-02-2013, 09:27 PM
No, no, I didn't take it negatively at all, and certainly don't feel any bad vibes from anyone on the thread, I just wanted to make it absolutely clear to Sarah that none of us are qualified to make any kind of decisions, and even if we were we wouldn't know enough to make any kind of decision. Basically, I wanted Sarah to know that she needs the consultation of a professional M.D. regardless of what was said on the forum. If I came off as a dick in the process, it was unintentional, I assure you.

I know Cosmos didn't intend for his reply to be taken that way, however when it comes to this kind of stuff, I don't fuck around. I just wanted to be explicitly clear and blunt because I saw how one could have taken that reply.

Oh, the Dr. Phil comment was supposed to be funny, but now that I look back on it does look dickish, so apologies if I was a dick.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
11-02-2013, 10:31 PM
[Image: tumblr_mfenk6hbbe1rhtqv6o1_500.gif]
Sarah, you posted this on your page but you are oh so wrong.
You reached out and look at all the outpouring of sincere concern.
Look at this thread and see how many of us care enough to write.
I cared enough to spend time on your site, I see you are from Alabama.
My wife is from Alabama. My mother-in-law is a psych nurse.
Not in your town but would you like for me to ask her if she knows a professional where you live?
People care for you.
My mom was a cutter. She saw a lot of therapists before she found the right one.
She got past it. You can too.
You are stronger than you think.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
12-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Ok let me try this again.

[Image: power_of_self-respect.jpg?w=840]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
12-02-2013, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 11:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-02-2013 09:27 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  No, no, I didn't take it negatively at all, and certainly don't feel any bad vibes from anyone on the thread, I just wanted to make it absolutely clear to Sarah that none of us are qualified to make any kind of decisions, and even if we were we wouldn't know enough to make any kind of decision. Basically, I wanted Sarah to know that she needs the consultation of a professional M.D. regardless of what was said on the forum. If I came off as a dick in the process, it was unintentional, I assure you.

I know Cosmos didn't intend for his reply to be taken that way, however when it comes to this kind of stuff, I don't fuck around. I just wanted to be explicitly clear and blunt because I saw how one could have taken that reply.

Oh, the Dr. Phil comment was supposed to be funny, but now that I look back on it does look dickish, so apologies if I was a dick.

Got it. Did find it slightly dickish, but at least not prickish. Wink

And I agree with you that Sarah needs to be seeing a M.D. if her initial experiences with a therapist who can't write scripts aren't proving helpful.

But (and this ain't for you Sarah but for DarkLight and others), I don't agree that the experiences of patients should be casually discounted or dismissed out of hand. That's what great about the interwebz and forums. This 50 yo GirlyMan keeps up with all the latest research on testosterone replacement therapy, insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes, and manic depression (fuck that bullshit politically correct "bipolar disorder" renaming, call a spade a fucking spade) on pubmed and Google Scholar 'cause I fucking live them. I educate my PCP on the latest research and suggest treatments 'cause he can't keep up with all the latest shit on everything, he's a GP for Christ's sake. And, more importantly, he don't live the shit. He got no vested interest in researching the latest treatments. He goes by default with the AMA guidelines, as he properly should. Girly does have a vested interest, though. And I have sufficient education to understand the studies I am reading. My Doc goes along with my experimentation. ... Should a teenager try this? NO FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING GODDAM FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING GODDAM WAY!

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
18-02-2013, 08:25 AM
My cutting addiction is slowly beginning to stop from the help of my boyfriend. He allows me to call and say anything that I want and he won't talk until I'm completely done and then he comforts me. It helps so much.
Though that is working, my sleep cycle isn't working. I get about 5 hours of sleep a week. Going to bed wanting to die and then dreaming I am and waking up screaming. It's scary and very confusing also.
Anyways yeah.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2013, 11:00 AM
(18-02-2013 08:25 AM)legendoflink Wrote:  My cutting addiction is slowly beginning to stop from the help of my boyfriend. He allows me to call and say anything that I want and he won't talk until I'm completely done and then he comforts me. It helps so much.
Though that is working, my sleep cycle isn't working. I get about 5 hours of sleep a week. Going to bed wanting to die and then dreaming I am and waking up screaming. It's scary and very confusing also.
Anyways yeah.
Do you entertain yourself with music and fiction or just do chores and work all day? Maybe type some secret and unpublished fan fiction at least?

Yes? No? Maybe?
18-02-2013, 01:11 PM
(18-02-2013 11:00 AM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  
(18-02-2013 08:25 AM)legendoflink Wrote:  My cutting addiction is slowly beginning to stop from the help of my boyfriend. He allows me to call and say anything that I want and he won't talk until I'm completely done and then he comforts me. It helps so much.
Anyways yeah.
Do you entertain yourself with music and fiction or just do chores and work all day? Maybe type some secret and unpublished fan fiction at least?
Oh yes, I indulge in music and fiction. I even have written a few of them myself.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.