Self ban.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 11:21 AM by bemore.)
Self ban.
I clicked on the jeremy walker nihilism thread. I didn't even read any of it I just saw that the dude is -39 in rep.

Sooooo why not have a number that is in the negative range of the reputation system, that if a user gets too, they get automatically banned?

If anything like that were to happen then I think everyone should only get the chance to neg rep by 1 point (like long term members, moderators and admins)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like bemore's post
16-05-2014, 11:22 AM
RE: Self ban.
Trainwreck has like -55 or something at this point.

You know what the answer is, we can't just ban somebody for being unpopular.

Although you could try and make an argument that anybody that reaches a certain neg rep can only reach such a disdainful position by being a disruptive liability to the forum and could therefore be automatically slammed with a rule 5 ban, I wouldn't count on that motion getting passed.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
16-05-2014, 11:32 AM
That's an interesting idea.

Consider What would this arbitrary ban number be?

If this kind of thing were to be implemented though... would that make "rep points" a thing to actually give a shit about?

I mean... I would rather "rep points" not even exist. Giving the "rep points" any more reason to exist, seems antithesis to my already low tolerance of them.

Kinda the way I feel about having to tolerate someone's god concept. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
16-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I dont know about banning anyone for their rep, however a good reputation IRL is something I think we all strive for and use to base our perception of other folks.

In my circle, a reputation has to be earned and is respected, where as having a bad one earns you very little if any respect, e.g. a snitch, thief, kiddy didler,rapist, all will not earn you respect and may very well get you hurt (or worse).

I dont know if its a great idea for a forum, but it does give folks an idea of how you're percieved by the collective.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 4 users Like War Horse's post
16-05-2014, 11:43 AM
Im not sure what the number should be Kim, I suppose thats up for debate.

The reason I called the thread "Self ban" is because we are all aware of how to conduct ourselves on here and members in the minus number are few. Whilst I do appreciate the neg rep system can be used for viewpoints, I think we are all liberal enough to allow a lot of things between us all and that only silly, trollish, unsocial extremes get minus repped en masse by the forum.

Anyone who gets banned from here does it on their own volition, this is just capping it I suppose.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
16-05-2014, 11:58 AM
How about levels of privilege? At some point you start to lose things, so many points....can't start a thread, more points...number of replies per topic limited etc. etc.

Temp. suspensions, days, weeks, months.

Your religion is nothing but a fairytale to me, and I will treat it as such.
16-05-2014, 12:09 PM
No.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 10 users Like Vosur's post
16-05-2014, 12:11 PM
That's what I like about this place...discussion, input considered...no arbitrary commands. Dodgy

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-05-2014, 12:12 PM
In principle I agree, but it wouldn't work in practice.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
16-05-2014, 12:41 PM
I basically would like that if the number was high enough and accumulated over some lengthy period of time.

What would worry me is the possibility of people ganging up against someone and banning them just for whatever likes or dislikes they have.

Not sure how to safe guard against that, except perhaps with a time period needed.

Interesting but needs to be thought through thoroughly.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post