Self ban.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2014, 11:30 PM
RE: Self ban.
(16-05-2014 05:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 12:48 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Because then there'd be campaigns by people to ban others that they didn't like by encouraging everyone to neg them. You'd have people negged by others who hadn't even read their posts simply because someone was pressuring them to do so by PM.

The concept has been visited before and, while it sounds reasonable in theory, it would never work in practice.

Plus, as has been said before, bans are decided on rule breaks, not popularity.

You know this to be true?

Of course it would happen.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2014, 02:22 AM
If groups of people/individuals wished to gang up to purposely ban a member under this, or any system and it becomes public knowledge. Then I would suggest temporarily banning those people and all who involved themselves for a month at least for being a bunch of spineless cunts.

If not an instant ban then how about agreeing to a number which when a person reaches, triggers a "review" by the mods/admin. What is the rep for (actual behavior/conduct or personal viewpoints) and a line of dialogue opened up to see if anything can be done by either side to remedy the situation.

The mods can then set another limit on negative posts (that is only known between the mods and the person) and if they hit this new limit or fail to conduct themselves like everybody else manages too, then they face the chop.

Im all for allowing free speech, im all for trying to support as a community anybody, however if you was to do one of DLJ's risk assessments on what good they do vs the harm and disruption they caus, im sure the risk assesment would say they give nothing of real value and therefore logically they should not be allowed to stay.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-05-2014, 02:26 AM
(17-05-2014 02:22 AM)bemore Wrote:  If not an instant ban then how about agreeing to a number which when a person reaches, triggers a "review" by the mods/admin. What is the rep for (actual behavior/conduct or personal viewpoints) and a line of dialogue opened up to see if anything can be done by either side to remedy the situation.

The mods can then set another limit on negative posts (that is only known between the mods and the person) and if they hit this new limit or fail to conduct themselves like everybody else manages too, then they face the chop.

Now this is an intriguing proposition. Consider

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
17-05-2014, 02:34 AM
The thing is, I personally got a lot out of BrownShirt. I thought he was OK in the end. His rep got a kicking. I don't think it's a good idea because people who need to be banned, end up crossing the line sooner or later anyway. ... Also, it may change some people's posting habits. They wouldn't be honest.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
17-05-2014, 02:46 AM
(17-05-2014 02:34 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  The thing is, I personally got a lot out of BrownShirt. I thought he was OK in the end. His rep got a kicking. I don't think it's a good idea because people who need to be banned, end up crossing the line sooner or later anyway. ... Also, it may change some people's posting habits. They wouldn't be honest.

Such a prospect may also prevent someone from crossing that line.

Also, triggering a review would not necessarily mean a ban. Admin would review this person's behavior and go from there. Granted, mods and admin are pretty active here, and so they're generally acutely aware of our behaviors anyway. I think this is more a result of the number of active forum members. A review process is probably not needed unless active numbers were larger.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
17-05-2014, 04:08 AM
Yabut, what else we got to do, if you take away our chew toys ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-05-2014, 04:18 AM
No, no, and no. Furthermore, stop thinking along these lines. Let's go back to thinking this is about bemore banning himself. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-05-2014, 05:12 AM
With a clear head this morning and reading the last 2 pages, I tend to agree with Vosur (never thought I'd say that), this rep/ban thing isnt a good idea for the forum.

A ban should only take place after the offender has been warned, and doesnt comply to the rules that have been broken. Just my .02 worth.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
17-05-2014, 09:18 AM
I must confess I would prefer if the forum did not have the reputation feature because it may easily become a tool for prejudice, people may judge a contribution as worthless without even reading the contribution, simply because its contributor has a low or even negative average reputation.

I am certainly not for any kind of censorship; if I have the ability to communicate my thoughts, then so should anyone else, and I'd like to have the ability to communicate my thoughts, so I can only promote other people's likewise ability. Trying to prevent other people from talking would be a bit like kicking my own balls.

But I'm not for imposing ideas upon people either. The fact that several users would welcome bemore's proposal does suggest that some forum users would find it beneficial if the forum automatically hid other people's voices based on their perceived reputation, and I can understand that. It is sometimes tedious having to skip through trolling posts.

A mid-way solution might be an auto-ignore feature; users might be able to select a reputation threshold and the server could filter out posts and threads submitted by users with a lower value. Users wouldn't need to be banned, posts wouldn't need to be deleted and no one would have to decide what the minimum appropriate reputation value must be, all while still providing a comfortable tool for those who wish to avoid reading messages by "unreputable" users.

But it might not really solve anything or it might not be easy to implement, so this is not a feature request but a simple suggestion.

PS: I also thought initially that bemore was banning himself!
[+] 5 users Like living thing's post
17-05-2014, 09:24 AM
(16-05-2014 11:30 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 05:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You know this to be true?

Of course it would happen.

Apparently I give the majority of people here more credit.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF