Self driving cars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Self driving cars
So what's everyones' opinion on the future of self driving cars, like the Google car. This one doesn't even have a steering wheel or brakes.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/tech/innov...iving-car/

I donno. It seems to me that if just a few people are in self driving cars and everyone else is in regular cars things could get hairy on the roadways. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm on the fence with these. It would take me a long time before I could relax in a car like that. I'd feel like a back seat driver all the time, stepping on an imaginary break.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 05:31 PM
RE: Self driving cars
Funny, I just talked to a couple of people about that, and both said they would never get into one. They wanted the control over the car. They were worried about malfunctions.

So I said that you don't know whether a car they drive themselves will malfunction either.

They said they'd rather have the illusion of being in control.

I haven't made up my mind completely, but I would tend to agree with them.

It sounds like a super idea though for seniors who are not supposed to be driving anymore. For them, their world collapses and they lose all freedom when their car keys are taken away. With these cars, that would not have to happen.

One also wouldn't have to worry about drunk drivers.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
30-05-2014, 05:47 PM
(30-05-2014 05:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  Funny, I just talked to a couple of people about that, and both said they would never get into one. They wanted the control over the car. They were worried about malfunctions.

So I said that you don't know whether a car they drive themselves will malfunction either.

They said they'd rather have the illusion of being in control.

I haven't made up my mind completely, but I would tend to agree with them.

It sounds like a super idea though for seniors who are not supposed to be driving anymore. For them, their world collapses and they lose all freedom when their car keys are taken away. With these cars, that would not have to happen.

One also wouldn't have to worry about drunk drivers.

It's probably going to happen whether we're ready for it or not. My kids say they'd love it. My oldest daughter wants one right now! They could get high at a party and not have to worry about driving home and getting pulled over by cops. They could be on their computers while in the car, texting like mad and phoning and eating and having sex. So my guess is that the younger generation, those twenty and younger will be fine with it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
30-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I'd probably feel a bit jumpy, but I feel jumpy in a normal car anyway, so.

All in all, it sounds pretty cool. Now if someone would just equip them with a bed so you can sleep while you commute.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
30-05-2014, 09:46 PM
It would take a long time until I got in one, and probably long after nearly everyone has joined the fold. I was too stubborn to get a cell phone until just a couple years ago, and I still refuse to drive anything but a stick shift. I suspect I'll be a late bloomer on these too, but they should really help the drunk driving issue.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
31-05-2014, 10:51 AM
I could get behind this if they made it in a Lincoln stretch limo.... Hell yeah, take me home car! Thumbsup

They need to get rid of that weather vane on the roof too.... what the hell is that ? a gyro ? or a Mr. Fusion? Consider

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
01-06-2014, 07:04 AM
I look forward to the potential safety and capacity improvements that self driving cars could achieve. I foresee far more densely packed highways with fewer accidents. From there it will be interesting to see if hybrid road/rail systems start to be developed.

This could be the beginning of a transition from cars being for individual transport to more of a mass transit system.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
01-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Insurance. When an accident happens, who picks up the bill? That, I believe, is a major obstacle to self driving cars.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
01-06-2014, 09:46 AM
If course there is still big brother too- At this point I am not synching my car, even though I am missing out on a lot of nice features, because I just hate the fact that all my movements will be recorded and traceable. WTF?

Of course with these cars, you likely won't have a choice.

Big brother has snuck into our lives bit by bit, and no one seems to give a shit anymore.

I think it's the first step to a completely controlled society...no freedoms.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-06-2014, 10:16 AM
(01-06-2014 09:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  If course there is still big brother too- At this point I am not synching my car, even though I am missing out on a lot of nice features, because I just hate the fact that all my movements will be recorded and traceable. WTF?

Of course with these cars, you likely won't have a choice.

Big brother has snuck into our lives bit by bit, and no one seems to give a shit anymore.

I think it's the first step to a completely controlled society...no freedoms.

The NSA has already beat the cars to it, the cars would just be another weapon in their arsenal, and more so for the insurance companies to deny claims. Some cars are already tracking, and lets say it shows you've been to a bar and then 1/2hr later get into an accident, even tho you might not have had any alcohol, they would assume that you have. Case closed, unless you have the money to hire an attorney and fight them in court.

They got ya either way, got a cell phone? a computor? with a camera? , most electronics are already tracking you...... we're all really fucked. Sad

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.