Self-training Martial Arts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2017, 11:33 PM
RE: Self-training Martial Arts
(03-09-2017 05:35 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(03-09-2017 07:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ka-boom beats ka-rate every time.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, doesn't own a gun.

Tongue

Why not both Big Grin

I will be training to fly, first by kicking in the air.

Any volunteers/joiners?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2017, 03:19 AM
I would highly recommend attending a martial arts school, if possible, as you will be corrected on minor imperfections in things such as form/technique for certain things, and you will have the chance to spar with others, so you have a better understanding of the timing of what you do, and little things like how much force to put in, and possible more importantly, when to stop. Plus you have little things such as break falls and so on, which are super simple when you know them, but can be difficult to learn on ones own.

Most martial arts, if not all, are for self defense, and not to out-right hurt people, so attending a school to get some of this stuff nailed down is a much better thing to do.

I'm hoping to get into better shape over the next month or so, and start attending a Judo class, (my daughter has just started, and it looks like GREAT fun). I spent the best part of 10 years in wrestling (Amateur and "professional" ) so I have a good base to work with Smile

When life gives you lemons, just remember you are an....
(18-09-2017 09:47 AM)vahaaao Wrote:  Irresponsible bachelor daddy
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
04-09-2017, 05:42 AM
For self defense, I think Krav Maga is a good idea. It is very efficient.
If you are more into routines, you could probably get into some Taekwondo (much leg work).
My father is a black belt in karate and used to do a lot of boxing. He told me to not take karate as in his opinion karate is not very useful for real life situations (I have no own opinion on that though) but he did recommend boxing to my brother because it is physically very straining and my brother needed a release for his energy. So boxing worked for my brother.

I am personally not into the worship of a grand master etc. I do respect my teacher though. And based on what I personally want, I will be starting Krav Maga at some point, when I can afford it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
04-09-2017, 05:48 AM
I keep reading the OP as

Self-training Marital Aids

Dodgy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
04-09-2017, 05:58 AM
(04-09-2017 05:48 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I keep reading the OP as

Self-training Marital Aids

Dodgy

Thank you! I'm incredibly honoured, either way.
[+] 1 user Likes Thinker's post
07-09-2017, 02:15 PM
(04-09-2017 03:19 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I would highly recommend attending a martial arts school, if possible, as you will be corrected on minor imperfections in things such as form/technique for certain things, and you will have the chance to spar with others, so you have a better understanding of the timing of what you do, and little things like how much force to put in, and possible more importantly, when to stop. Plus you have little things such as break falls and so on, which are super simple when you know them, but can be difficult to learn on ones own.

Most martial arts, if not all, are for self defense, and not to out-right hurt people, so attending a school to get some of this stuff nailed down is a much better thing to do.

I'm hoping to get into better shape over the next month or so, and start attending a Judo class, (my daughter has just started, and it looks like GREAT fun). I spent the best part of 10 years in wrestling (Amateur and "professional" ) so I have a good base to work with Smile

Agreed. Martial arts schools are the way to go Thumbsup As far as which style, maybe take a few different styles and see which style resonates with you or maybe you can sit in on a few classes. Also, as with anything, finding the right teacher who is a good fit for you is key as well. And it's important for it to be a style you enjoy so you want to keep pushing yourself.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post