Selfishness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Selfishness
Should an act really be considered selfish if it benefits other people as well as yourself?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Selfishness
Depends on the act.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Is an act that only benefits others, but makes you feel good, selfish? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
09-03-2015, 10:16 AM
(09-03-2015 10:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  Is an act that only benefits others, but makes you feel good, selfish? Consider

This ^^

In the end I can make a case that everything we do is selfish.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 9 users Like Full Circle's post
09-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Yes I would like the OP to offer his definition of "selfish" so we can try make sense of this.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

09-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Selfishness is often equated with immorality, but it's a false equivalence. Selfishness is a driver; if the driver impels one to do something that benefits others, or even just benefit oneself without harming others, it'd be counter-productive to stigmatize the driver. I think selfishness, an emotion very much the product of evolutionary development that contributes to our species surival, is not something to be reviled in itself. Like alcohol, it can be applied constructively, or destructively, and it is figuring out how to keep most of its application constructive that we should be paying attention to, not the bare emotion.
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post
09-03-2015, 11:18 AM
(09-03-2015 10:22 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes I would like the OP to offer his definition of "selfish" so we can try make sense of this.

Selfish meaning: something for ones own benefit.
11-03-2015, 04:47 AM
If something you do helps someone else too, it's already not selfishness. It's self centered kindness.
11-03-2015, 05:00 AM
(09-03-2015 10:06 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  Should an act really be considered selfish if it benefits other people as well as yourself?

That is a really open ended question. Nothing is either/or in life, everything should be treated a case by case. The problem with this is point of view. What one considers a benefit to others others may not consider that a benefit.

This is how economic political views can be dogmatic like a religion. I am no fan of Ayn Rand "F U I got mine" economics. Those types would claim the rich know what is best for everyone else. I am also no fan of Che which lead to Cuba.

I think there is a very bad flaw in our species trying to chase that "greater good" in a very messy diverse and imperfect world.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2015, 05:09 AM
Selfishness
FC already said what I think. Pretty much we all act selfishly. You are the only person you're guaranteed to have during your life.

Even if you volunteer your time and help others, it still has a selfish quality. We like to think those acts are 100% selfless, but the intrinsic value cannot be ignored.

I do not think selfishness is a bad thing. If more people in the world wanted to feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside, I think there would be less strife.
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post