Poll: In your opinion which is the path to happiness:
Selfishness
Altruism
Both
None of them has a really big part in the pursue of happiness
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Selfishness vs Altruism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 11:11 PM
RE: Selfishness vs Altruism
There are studies that show evolutionary adaptive measures as being altruistic and yet also selfish. (Looking out for others would somehow benefit the entire species)

But, the example of the wife by her spouse's side care taking for him isn't really a selfish act. It is more of a compassionate act. Will it benefit her should her husband live? Yes. But, he needs her/she needs him... I see that as mutually altruistic.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 11:18 PM
I lean towards believing all voluntary actions are guided by selfishness, including altruism.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
05-09-2014, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 04:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-09-2014 11:18 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I lean towards believing all voluntary actions are guided by selfishness, including altruism.

I'm not at all sure I believe there are voluntary actions.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
(05-09-2014 04:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:18 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I lean towards believing all voluntary actions are guided by selfishness, including altruism.

I'm not at all sure I believe there are voluntary actions.
Ah yes, I've heard of that. If everything is deterministic and such....I mean the idea could make sense depending on how we define voluntary. But ultimately, I think it's one of those things that is a waste of time to deeply consider.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
05-09-2014, 06:34 PM
It's all a question of whether one considers altruistic actions to be selfishly pursued...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
05-09-2014, 06:58 PM
I am unsure whether this has already been said, but in my view, altruism is selfishness.
You always perform the action you value highest. This is the one where the outcome is the one you prefer. While acting altruistically can result in less material gain, it may give emotional gain instead. If you risk your life to save another person, you would rather put your life on the line than live the rest of your life regretting that inaction. So technically, you could break all altruism down into selfishness. This is why my political ideas reflect this, by trying to cause altruism to be the choice that benefits the self the most.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
05-09-2014, 07:00 PM
How do we then account for instances such as and similar to, soldiers throwing sacrificing themselves for their comrades?

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

05-09-2014, 07:05 PM
(05-09-2014 07:00 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  How do we then account for instances such as and similar to, soldiers throwing sacrificing themselves for their comrades?

One interpretation is that he couldn't thereafter live with himself if he didn't do it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2014, 07:15 PM
(05-09-2014 07:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 07:00 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  How do we then account for instances such as and similar to, soldiers throwing sacrificing themselves for their comrades?

One interpretation is that he couldn't thereafter live with himself if he didn't do it.

That is an interesting idea certainly - particularly that the survival instinct is essentially being overiden...

05-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Friggin' hell... I'm only 23, how would I know how to answer a question like that?

Ask me again when I'm 70... Might have an answer.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user